how my family is getting boned up the ass by a hospital

"such is life" - real life: yours, preferably
incandescent

how my family is getting boned up the ass by a hospital

Post by incandescent » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:57 pm

so i got the vaccine earlier in the year or w/e for the seasonal flu and turns out i got influenza a anyway. cool, w/e. so im having the time of my life throwing up when my dad suggests i go see a doctor. so we do and this fucking physician recommended a twenty four hour stay in observatory (i only mention this because when im in observation my healthcare is nice enough to not bother paying for my prescription, which was $36). so w/e, fast forward about 3 weeks and my family gets the bill. in between that time i expected it to be oh i dunno like $1000 tops, maybe $600. cause i mean honestly, how much does it cost to get 5 blood samples and 3 bags of iv while i sit and wait?

turns out the correct answer is about $9000. For a twenty four hour stay for fucking Influenza A, which I should've been vaccinated against in the first place. (note: i got the vaccine from the same clinic im staying)

so fuck that shit. healthcare is helping out a lot but it's still a $1500 or so, which is really great but wow. im fucking pissed.

oh and i should mention it was about an hour wait while i waited for the fucking doctor. i had to wear this fucking facemask that made it super hard to breath and i had to shit about twice. once i got into a little office for the doctor to help me i wait another fucking 30 minutes to get a blood sample. then another hour while the doctor comes back and tells me my sodium or some shit is super low, etc. so he suggest 24 hour stay. so cool. i then get set up in a room and get some tamiflu. and that's the backstory behind that. the next 24 hours im awoken every 2 hours by this nurse who needs to take my heart rate and every 5 hours by some chick who needs a blood sample. the only thing i looked forward to there was lunch which was a fluid diet (fuck you doctor). they gave me tea, jello, and chicken broth. all i ate was the jello and then drank down the chicken broth but the tea tasted horrible and i just asked for a glass of water. the nurse also took about an hour to get that.

im just raging right now that i have to pay so much for such shitty hospital service. honestly america fucking sucks im moving to canada or some shit
Last edited by incandescent on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This signature has been murdered by a gang of kittens.
Haymakers9th

Re: how my family is getting boned up the ass by a hospital

Post by Haymakers9th » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:59 pm

WE'RE ALL LIVING IN AMERIKAAAA
Steam
GW2: Haymaker.8924 (Tinthundered, Encoelia)
stickbeast wrote: However many dicks she can manage to fit in her mouth in a year really isn't any of your business and you shouldn't judge her for it.
Velp

Post by Velp » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Oh that really sucks... always makes me wonder about the USA's healthcare system.
mbaxter wrote:David tennant makes everything better
Neelpos wrote:Because maybe if my post count is high enough everyone will love me, golly
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:03 pm

Yeah that shit is outrageously expensive. I went to my school's doctor's office early in the first semester for something fairly minor but I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything serious, and the visit cost like $100, and my insurance company made us fill out some sort of form that allows me to be insured out of state. It's not exactly $1500 but still, medical care is just fucking expensive any way you slice it.
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
Haymakers9th

Post by Haymakers9th » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:10 pm

The way it works in the US and why things are so randomly expensive (like a box of gloves bought by a hospital is so many more times as expensive as the same latex gloves you can buy at a store) is such a derptacular clusterfuck I can't begin to understand it.

I actually don't have health insurance right now being on a $9 an hour job with no benefits, and I can't seem to get on my mother's insurance right now as I think I'd have to be in college or something, which won't be till much later this year. IF she's willing to put me on it...
Steam
GW2: Haymaker.8924 (Tinthundered, Encoelia)
stickbeast wrote: However many dicks she can manage to fit in her mouth in a year really isn't any of your business and you shouldn't judge her for it.
BPM

Post by BPM » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:25 pm

My experience with the American health care system was horrible as well. I have constant stomach pains that are practically a daily occurrence. I really wanted to get it checked out, I had a steady job at the time so I bought into a individual PPO. So a month after getting health insurance my bills already goes up even though I hadn't even seen a fuckin' doctor yet. I see a doctor and he's like "well I'm a doctor there's nothing I can do, go see a gastroenterologist." So I go to the gastroenterologist he recommends and they want to conduct a bunch of tests.
They do the procedures and I go through hell getting them done. I had a Barium X-Ray, ultrasound (lol), colonoscopy, endoscopy, and various allergen tests. I get the results back and they're basic "we found inflammation in these areas, blah blah" so it confirms that there's some inflammation and problems. However after that they just schedule another test which covers the same thing the barium X-Ray and colonoscopy/endoscopy covers. That's when I got mad, they were giving me tests already covered by the other tests. I was also having to pay 40% of the medical bill, as the insurance didn't cover everything. The insurance also never covered any of the medications they prescribed me.
6,000$ dollars later and nothing to show for it except "go see some more doctors and do more tests." They also lost a blood test I took that might have gave me a diagnosis(that I paid for). I was pissed and stopped going to the doctors, they were milking me of cash. So about a year later I go see a different doctor in hopes he can request my medical records and get me a diagnosis, I also told him about the test they had lost and he said he'd find it ! I do some more fuckin' tests for this doc and I'm feeling like I might have some sort of diagnosis, but nope I get a call from him suggesting I come see him immediately... I do and he had nothing to tell me, just wanted an office visit (and wanted to know if I could make him some weed brownies) he hadn't even investigated into that lost test... After that I canceled my insurance and never looked back.
Haymakers9th wrote:WE'RE ALL LIVING IN AMERIKAAAA
Yes.... Yes...
SurNim

Post by SurNim » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:33 pm

BPM wrote:I have constant stomach pains that are practically a daily occurrence.
If you have had this your whole life, then you might have the same thing I do.
I have Celiac disease http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease (not really a disease, more of a syndrome), which could VERY easily be what you have.
Cut out all gluten for at least a week, and see how you feel.
Seriously, please do it.
I have lived gluten free my whole life, and it is not a big deal, but it makes a huge health difference.
2+2=5
(for large values of 2)
BPM

Post by BPM » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:43 pm

yeah I had a celiac panel, and even tried the week without gluten. didn't help. I thought it could've been celiacs too. What I got out of my diagnosis was "possible Irratible bowel syndrome/disease." I hadn't had this my whole life, started to show itself around age 17.
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Consider going to a non-urgent care place for things like a flu and bad colds, etc. The minor medical center here only costs a tiny fraction of going to a big hospital for things like that.
CaptainTripps

Post by CaptainTripps » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:00 pm

I had the opposite experience with healthcare, and a bad one with insurance. When I lost my hearing I had insurance thru work, full coverage etc. They basically called one day and told me not to come back in, but I'd get disability and get to keep my insurance. Blah blah blah, bit to do, 6 months later, setting up Cochlear Implant Surgery and literally the month of the surgery my insurance company writes me a letter stating my disability made me eligible for medicare, so they ere dropping me. They'd paid for the tests and doctor visits and what not up to that point, had pre-approved the surgery and implant, etc.

Told the doctor/surgeon, his response - "I don't deal with the money, you're scheduled for surgery, you're getting the implant, the rest is why the hospital has so many lawyers, don't worry about it, they'll deal with it."

Medical care is very expensive tho, for all kinds of reasons, some good some very bad. Unfortunately we couldn't get the legislation thru to clear some of that up, because of somebosdies dead grandmother, or something.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
Bogey

Post by Bogey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:15 pm

incandescent wrote:For a twenty four hour stay for fucking Influenza A, which I should've been vaccinated against in the first place. (note: i got the vaccine from the same clinic im staying)
You most likely got a subtype that wasn't common or wasn't expected to be very prevalent that year/season, in which case you probably wouldn't have been vaccinated for it.
Just bad luck.
This user has left the joe.to community. His posts are retained in memoriam.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:25 pm

Shits fucking ridiculous. It was something like $600 for an ambulance ride when, had I not been in complete shock, I could have walked to the hospital in less than 5 minutes.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:43 pm

this is why i have never seen a doctor for anything ever. except one time when i got hit by a car, i rode my bike to a hospital to make sure i didn't have a fractured skull or something and i gave a fake name + address, fuck tha haters

seriously the rich just want us all to die, you can't fight it. we need a revolution
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
CaptainTripps

Post by CaptainTripps » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Yea and most insurance doesn't even cover ambulance rides unless you end up nearly dead in the hospital.

Most doctor's are cool joe. Hospitals aren't usually run by doctor's alone tho. I'm sure Cali has a ton of free clinics around.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:45 pm

From someone who has been most of a decade in healthcare:

1) Your hospital bill is reflecting billed charges, and that amount is about normal. Please try to understand that billed charges have no bearing on reality, they are simply numbers from a self-generated fee schedule of what the facility has decided its services are worth. These numbers are most commonly grossly inflated because the facilities use them as negotiating tactics (e.g. upon contract renewal they'll show what a great discount they're giving to payer X, just like uncle Eddie's used cars), often the fee schedules are setup to automatically increase each year by some percent (e.g. see how quickly 10% annual increases add up to a doubling of the fee), it allows them to write off more and better their financials when they cut someone a break who doesn't have a third party payer, and it's a payment trap for those payers (individual or 3rd party) who aren't contracted with the facility as most states require payment of 100% of billed charges if they're not contracted, regardless of whether the charges are reasonable or not.

2) The actual amount paid by a 3rd party payer, with contract, will be about $1000 or less for that stay. It will be less depending on some specifics and whether it's classified as a true observation or a full overnight inpatient stay.

3) PCPs are horribly overworked and generally can't get you in very fast for a visit. Add to it there's really not much they can do for most generic illnesses. Most people will want antibiotics prescribed for viral infections yet they are wholly ineffective and simply extra expense and a danger to long-term public health in this case. Usually by the time a culture will prove a specific bacterial infection the illness has already run most of its course, so unless it's a severe, ongoing illness or symptoms suggest something more severe, there is no point to even try. PCP culture is even worse as most patients simply view PCPs, not as doctors examining a whole person, but simply as Rx or referral-generation machines. It creates a very bad culture of "ok, what pill would you like today? And would you like a side of a specialty visit?"

4) Nursing staff in hospitals, whether full RNs or CNAs, are usually incredibly busy taking vitals and doing other routine tasks on other patients. Your best bet is to be the best, nicest patient around if you want something, and to take your health and their care seriously.

5) Urgent care centers and generic clinics aren't usually good ideas if you have health insurance. These are the same doctors and staff as in regular practice but working for businesses that refuse to contract with health plans. Hence they're able to bill obscene amounts for the same care you'd get in an office. Most 3rd party payers will actively review claims for this and take some sort of corrective action with you if it becomes common. However, many large 3rd party payers have also started creating their own clinics/UC centers to help combat the financial bleed that otherwise occurs.

6) BPM, IBS is a pretty generic diagnosis. There was a time I had symptoms that fit. Long story short, it was severe stress combined with bad diet and bad health habits on my own part. The usual fixes worked - eat green things, eat things grown from dirt, less junk, exercise, get sleep, etc.
Doctor Hannibal Lecter wrote:I think we should ban video games on the j2 community and only allow bickering.