What IT Job can I get with no degree/certification?

"such is life" - real life: yours, preferably
Little Weapon

What IT Job can I get with no degree/certification?

Post by Little Weapon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:51 pm

I'm really good with computers and have a wide range of experience from trouble shooting, hardware, graphic design, repair..... haven't done much coding but can learn.

Is there a job I can get, or a certification not too hard to obtain? I'm fucking sick of customer service I just want to get paid a little extra doing something I'm good at.
CaptainTripps wrote:Chicken, how does it work?
Zeno

Re: What IT Job can I get with no degree/certification?

Post by Zeno » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Absolutely. As long as it's not some silly corporation where HR enforces degrees, you'll be fine. If you have the skills and experience, you should have no problem. If you don't have any professional experience yet, it's going to be harder if you have no connections. Build some personal projects first and it'll be like a kickstart to getting your foot in the door.
-Zeno McDohl (reseph@reddit), http://steamcommunity.com/id/zenoxio
Dark Souls matchmaking: http://www.darksoulsfind.org/ (PS duel me)
GustavG

Post by GustavG » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:23 pm

If all things Fail there is allways the trash man
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:31 pm

worgeral wrote:If all things Fail there is allways the trash man
You may think it's a shitty job, but here, they work for the city and they get paid $$$ + benefits.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:56 pm

Porky wrote:
You may think it's a shitty job, but here, they work for the city and they get paid $$$ + benefits.
Where like in Canada?
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
TempSoul

Post by TempSoul » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:45 pm

Django wrote:
Porky wrote:
Where like in Canada?
In Seattle if you are lucky enough to land a position, even lack of degree positions they pay decently well and the benefits are just straight amazing.

But like others have state it's all about the connections and experience. Without an degree you're going to have to work have and prove yourself and still note that until you get a degree you're probably be limited in how far you can advance, but that depends on the company. Hopefully you get lucky and find a company that you can shine in and maybe, if not that you find jobs that will teach you skills that will apply to future jobs that will do you justice.
Django
Bow down to your King!

Post by Django » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:40 am

you can always take a high risk job

judging by your character, you seem to be less inhibited by danger.
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:49 am

Django wrote:you can always take a high risk job

judging by your character, you seem to be less inhibited by danger.
yeah, become an Alaskan king crab fisherman
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
Django
Bow down to your King!

Post by Django » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:32 am

Pretty sure those guy need years of experience or some kind of experience with the craft.
Also, who wouldn't want to be one. You will be forever glorified in that tv show
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:26 pm

Go to Linux User Meeting in your area or similar tech focused groups expand your horizons in terms of OS, no one I know of is a purely windows house any more. Most places use linux/unix somewhere.

Get A+ Certified it will help with job prospects as well. It costs roughly $200 per test so if you fail and want to retake it will cost another $200. You can buy books or take classes from a local or online school and get a discount voucher cutting the cost, the classes will also help you prepare for the test.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
koko
[citation needed]

Post by koko » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:27 pm

I'm A+ and CCNA certified and it hasn't gotten me shit.
CaptainTripps wrote:I curse and complain all the time. The fuck you gonna do about it?
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:30 pm

From the internship interviews I did over the last few months, A+ doesn't mean jack squat.
Zeno

Post by Zeno » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:39 pm

scobywhru wrote:Go to Linux User Meeting in your area or similar tech focused groups expand your horizons in terms of OS, no one I know of is a purely windows house any more. Most places use linux/unix somewhere.

Get A+ Certified it will help with job prospects as well. It costs roughly $200 per test so if you fail and want to retake it will cost another $200. You can buy books or take classes from a local or online school and get a discount voucher cutting the cost, the classes will also help you prepare for the test.
Careful there. The whole Albany area here is literally Windows, it's a rarity to find a Linux job. The hospital I work at is 100% Windows servers.

Speaking of certs though, there are Linux (Red Hat) certs: http://www.redhat.com/training/certifications/rhcsa/

This is my next goal for me, as I don't have any certs.
-Zeno McDohl (reseph@reddit), http://steamcommunity.com/id/zenoxio
Dark Souls matchmaking: http://www.darksoulsfind.org/ (PS duel me)
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:59 pm

A+ is a good cheap start to certs and it gives good fundamentals on different hardware/software, it has come in handy for me when I have had to interact with Netware machines, Netware 2-3.

For corporate environments it doesn't make sense to do Windows or even virtual machines. For high availability and simple scaling you would want to do a distributed system across multiple pieces of hardware. Allowing for simpler scaling and lower resource usage then a virtual machine, and treating all servers as a cluster similar to a super computer. I can't remember where I initially read about it, but it was part of Facebooks Open Compute coverage at one point, but essentially the way they keep costs down is they removed the virtualization layer and just run all servers as a giant super computer shutting down parts that aren't needed and firing up others as they need them. Keeps costs down and allows them to leave most servers without a battery backup since they only ones that matter are the Database servers, everything else can be shutdown instantly and it will reroute the services to places that are available. Allergies are acting up so I am foggy on exact details. Windows can't really be modified to that level to create a system that quickly and efficiently works that way.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.