Tips about being on anti-depressant medication?

"such is life" - real life: yours, preferably
TempSoul

Tips about being on anti-depressant medication?

Post by TempSoul » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:23 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been around my new place has shitty internet for TF2 and I've been busy getting some academia stuff published for school. But yeah so I've been going through a lot of therapy this year to have someone to keep myself check during my stressful life but it seems that my therapist opened up a whoop-ass can full of severe depression in me. I've always heralded myself in not needing to lean on any sort of caffeine or any sort of drugs to keep my life in balance but after many sessions I've decided to put myself on a trial run of anti-depressants during a relatively calm quarter at school.

So my psychologist diagnosed me with Major depressive disorder(MDD) and i was wondering if anyone has some helpful advice or tips to look out for while I'm on these drugs for the next 4-6 weeks. Also I will be starting on 20mg of Fluoxetine for now and see where that takes me during my run.
Maha

Re: Tips about being on anti-depressant medication?

Post by Maha » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:47 pm

If you feel the need to ever stop taking them, don't just not take them, go to your doctor and talk to him/her about it. I stopped taking mine cold turkey a long time ago once, the depression came back at 100 fold and was pretty bad. It also might cause your emotions to flat out dull or vanish entirely, which is what happened to me. Though that might depend on what kind of anti-depressant you take.
TempSoul

Post by TempSoul » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:51 pm

I realized that due to too many years hiding behind a smile I don't really understand any of my emotions so honestly any shift in emotions would hopefully be a good one while I'm on these.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:18 am

Dude that's so sad to hear about.
I remember when i met you in sf with Jeremy and swore i saw on you a merry person with his two feet deeply rooted on the ground (colombian saying for guy who is focused in life).

Honestly, there is no great benefit on taking anti-depressants that out weight the cons. Medication might not work right away, or at all, or they made you try a new one.
Your body might develop dependence to them or you get to suffer some side effect which includes many.

It might not help you on the long run ,but if what you want is not feel depressed in this moment, you can always try.
My best recommendation if you are going to take them are keep going to therapy (it's a good thing to do to vent) and do sports (they will counter the lack of liveliness
you get when on antidepressants) ,and if you can find any excuse to go out with people (family, classmates, friends, teachers pretty much anyone). Eat good too you kno'
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:26 am

My general advice regarding therapy is you should be looking for a shrink who's main goal is to fix the root of the issue, not just sell you a dose of whatever pescription is printed on the side of his pen. There are plenty of psychiatrists who just want to string you along with doses of medicines until you develop a dependence on it, and keep you coming back for more like any common drug dealer. Any shrink worth his salt will be working to find the root of the issue and helping you to confront it, and should be working to get you OFF the antidepressants as soon as possible. If they treat the pills like the end-all solution to the problem, then go out and find a new shrink. That's my two cents on the issue, at least.
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

TempSoul

Post by TempSoul » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:31 am

It's been an underlying issue for a long time, I've been going to therapy for about a year and half now. It's just now after understanding a lot more about myself my therapist suggested that I do a short term trial run to just see where it takes my condition, I'm pretty sure I'll be in therapy for the rest of my life just for having a impartial person helping me think through the decisions I'm making in life. It's extremely blissful to just have someone to think things through with when you live a life which is too busy or the friends/family you have are unable to think impartially for you.

I'm still a merry person with two feet rooted but my therapist has really open up a lot about my past and lack of understanding of my own personal emotions that have had me dam up a lot of issues. I've come to realize that I've ignore this part of myself for a long time and although I could tough it out and it wouldn't impact my lifestyle It's a heavy load that takes a lot out of me.

So after a long time with my having a therapist to learn a lot more about myself she suggested that I take steps to enjoy life a bit more and hopefully during this easier part of the year I could see what happens with these happy pills. I don't expect myself to be on them long but I thought the time on them will be enlightening no matter the results of being on these. I'm tired of ignoring my emotions and just working through aspects of my life. Would like to be able use my emotions to empowered my life.
Last edited by TempSoul on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:45 am

Sanvich Hoovy wrote:My general advice regarding therapy is you should be looking for a shrink who's main goal is to fix the root of the issue, not just sell you a dose of whatever pescription is printed on the side of his pen. There are plenty of psychiatrists who just want to string you along with doses of medicines until you develop a dependence on it, and keep you coming back for more like any common drug dealer. Any shrink worth his salt will be working to find the root of the issue and helping you to confront it, and should be working to get you OFF the antidepressants as soon as possible. If they treat the pills like the end-all solution to the problem, then go out and find a new shrink. That's my two cents on the issue, at least.
Generally speaking, nowadays people go to psychologists for therapy, and psychiatrists for medical prescriptions. It's pretty common to be paired with both, seeing the psychologist for regular therapy, usually weekly, while going to the psychiatrist less often for updates in prescriptions.

Also to be fair, in some cases the disorder is a result of a chemical imbalance rather than something personal, and the medicine is necessary to correct that.

If/when you do begin taking antidepressants, just remember that over time your body will adjust to the new chemical balance, so the initial "high" will dissipate as your body learns to control for these levels. This means that if you suddenly stop taking them because you feel you no longer are benefiting it is only because your body has returned to a stable level, and you will likely experience a noticeable increase in depression because the chemicals that your body had been compensating for are no longer present.

Furthermore, there is absolutely nothing wrong with seeing a therapist for an extended period of time, or even your entire life, in fact it is one of the healthiest things people can do in regards to their mental health, and some of the most successful people in the world attend therapy regularly.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
TempSoul

Post by TempSoul » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:03 am

I'll just note that the main reason for taking this trial-run. Is that for the longest time I have spent coming to terms that I don't know if I have any real emotions, I have rationalized all the things in my life. I mean I can become excited with happiness and realized that i'm at a down with sadness but the problem is that these emotions don't take root. Emotions don't take root into my mind, I don't have my emotions resonating with me at all. I have pretended to feel these emotions for long that I honestly believe that my emotions were just a fabrication.

So with this trial run I hope to find some sort of scale to base my experience on to put my emotion into context and have them resonate with the sense of a feeling. I'm tired of having my emotions and experiences equating to a feeling of nullity.
tehENEMY

<b></b>

Post by tehENEMY » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:55 am

Get a prescription for more pusheen gifs.
"if only there was such a thing as an affordable gaming laptop" ~collin day, 1993 - 2013

Watch Free the Nipple Online Free
He who casts carcinogenic stones should not live in glass meme houses.
TempSoul

Post by TempSoul » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:38 am

prescription received

pinkle

Post by pinkle » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:58 pm

*hugs* The right pills really helped my dad out a long time ago... I was on fluoxatine for a while too for anxiety/depression and it REALLY helped at first, it was awesome.. then I stopped taking them for a while and things were okay because I was at a new exciting point in my life, but I started taking what I had left after my dad died and it made me fucking CRAZY :/ Just major obsessive and irrational thoughts, and anxiety attacks so bad they seemed almost like out of body experiences.. be careful and good luck <3
"OK, try to imagine yourself in the J2 Server... You get your first look at this "Pinkle" as you enter a clearing. She moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing her flamethrower. And you keep still because you think that maybe her visual acuity is based on movement like Johnny5 - She'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Pinkle. You stare at her, and she just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the Hippie and Wolsky you didn't even know were there. Because Pinkle's a pack hunter, you see, she uses coordinated attack patterns and she is out in force today. And he slashes at you with this... A barbed-wired-wrapped fire axe, The Axetinguisher, in her left hand. She doesn't bother to headshot you like a Porkbun, say... no no. She lights you and slashes at you here, or here... Or maybe across the belly, critting your intestines. The point is, you are alive when she starts to rape you. So you know, try to show a little respect..." -- 3Ducks
TempSoul

Post by TempSoul » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Thanks for the support guys! We may have an odd friend/family/creepo spouting nonsense on teh mic, relationship but you this community has always keep me staying on the up and up
nightmare 101
thread killer, post spawner
thread killer, post spawner

Post by nightmare 101 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:07 pm

I'm glad to hear you aren't going the long term route - there have been recent studies which suggest desensitization of receptors (Serotonin, Dopamine, Norepenephrine, etc) with long term use. I tried an SNRI for my BPD but after the first 2 days it had killed all motivation that it had provided in the first few days. I wasn't willing to keep dampening my receptors like that, so I left it alone. To each their own, but the mind is a tricky, entangled mess of irrational-rationalities (Kind of like the idea of an Individual, Indivisible duality) (Sorry I'm a little out there right now...I did my "therapy" today)
In some other time and space, I found time for a new signature.