We got our a dog a life jacket

"such is life" - real life: yours, preferably
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

We got our a dog a life jacket

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:09 pm

And he refuses to move at all when he wears it. He will simply stand in the same exact spot wagging his tail while staring at you. He might sit down, but that's about it. He won't even move if you wave a treat in front of his face. If you give him one without requiring him to move, he will take the treat but drop it on the floor and keep staring at you. Has anyone experienced this before? Once the jacket is removed, he's back to normal as the stupid, high-strung dog he is (at which point he will gladly take the treat he was previously offered). I think it's kind of funny, but at some point he's gonna need to actually move.

Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
Hooplah
PeaChooter
<b><font color=#40FF00>Pea</font><font color=#408000>Chooter</font></b>

Re: We got our a dog a life jacket

Post by Hooplah » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:12 pm

pretty sure dogs aren't fond of wearing things that are kind of cumbersome

i've put shooting earmuffs on my dogs before for giggles and they've done exactly what you described. they just wait for someone to come and take it off so they can move again. your dog will probably get used to it though, since it sounds like he's gonna be wearing it quite a bit.
The Coolest Kid on the Planet wrote:[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> westsidee
[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> thug liefff
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla¡ is hacking aimbot
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla! noob aimbot is hacking noob
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:11 pm

A friend of mine puts a muzzle-like thing on their dog when it gets really crazy and jumps/humps everything. She doesn't bark hardly at all but is extremely hyperactive. The nozzle makes her very docile, won't hardly move around the room. Finds a spot and sits sadly, staring at you.... the static silence, so sweet yet sorrowing simultaneously.
Ikri

Post by Ikri » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:20 pm

It might be something he'll get used to, especially once he's in the water and understands he needs to swim.
Waterbear

Post by Waterbear » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:37 pm

http://www.dogforums.com/general-dog-fo ... es-up.html
thats the only thing i could find on it *shrug*

i recommend u just go watch like 30 more episodes of the dog whisperer bud
12:13 PM - jermm: man I haven't taken a poop that needs a plunger in years
12:13 PM - jermm: my body is failing me
g
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:31 am

Grndslmhttr3 wrote:And he refuses to move at all when he wears it.
Ha, have you ever heard of those compression jackets they have for dogs that are overly excited or nervous?

It sorta like the same principle. The static like behavior comes from the general feeling of uneasiness of having this strange object wrapped around you.
He is habituated to having nothing on him at all times. My dog, for example, is so used to being walked with a collar, that when it don't, he will just stay there much like your dog and that fuckers loves being walked.

Much like cats losing balance once you put some duck tape on them
,even though that never affects his balance structures like the cerebellum, the cochlea, or the semicircular canal

Here is a picture of my sisters dog, wearing the aforementioned with similar behavior
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:47 am

don't feed your dog special k bars, django
Django-Oh lord, take my lunch money. Please, don't hurt me!
Waterbear- You're dumb and stupid btw and i hate you for saying that forever
Adam- You are right. It's time we all stopped hiding. I'm a girl gamer and I know Joe, RottenCheese and Waterbear are too.
Otome Django~♥: keep frineds close, and you haters EVEN closer
Muffin

Post by Muffin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:38 pm

not meaning to be a smartass but why does he need a life jacket anyway?
Ikri

Post by Ikri » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:28 pm

Muffin wrote:not meaning to be a smartass but why does he need a life jacket anyway?
Dogs can get in trouble in the water, too. My pup isn't a strong swimmer but she'll follow me in. She's more comfortable perched on my shoulder or arm, and if I don't support her she'll swim towards me or someone else to keep her afloat even though she floats just fine. With a life jacket, she can relax and not have to worry about staying above water so much because she has a float support around her entire body.
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:42 pm

Muffin wrote:not meaning to be a smartass but why does he need a life jacket anyway?
Pretty much what Ikri said - I've only swam with him once and that's the only time he's ever been swimming, so I don't know how good of a swimmer he is (I didn't even know he could swim before that). It's just a good safety precaution in general and they only cost like 20 bucks.
Last edited by Grndslmhttr3 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:44 pm

Not to mention the dog mindset is to return to the point they fell in at even if there is a safe place to get out of the water closer, this can lead to drowning without a life jacket for a dog just like people. A boat or a dock are often areas dogs have trouble with finding a method to get to someplace dry, and the lower body mass means hypothermia sets in quicker and at higher temperatures then larger animals. With the mats of hair they can sometimes have even more difficulty with weather once they are out of the water, there are exceptions like the Poodle which are bread with hair to repel water and keep them warm in wet environments.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Waterbear

Post by Waterbear » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:06 pm

some squat dogs like bulldogs and pugs have troubles with their heads getting low in water cuz of their cute lil stubby stature, they def need some sort of help lots of the time
g
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:08 pm

Stubby nose dogs are the worst pets, they can't do much of anything since they have breathing problems sitting still and in high heat they can't pant efficiently enough to keep them cool and end up dying during the summer heat.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Waterbear

Post by Waterbear » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:20 pm

g
Muffin

Post by Muffin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:56 pm

oh, well TIL