My Dog Charlie

"such is life" - real life: yours, preferably
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

My Dog Charlie

Post by A Ninja » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:08 am

I've had pets before, but I was quite young and was never quite close to the pets that my family kept while I was away at a college. However, my family adopted a german shepard shortly before I returned home from college, and he's basically been the first real pet I've ever had. We don't know how old he is, but he was found wandering the alleys of Bakersfield (the California central valley) in the middle of the summer, and was due to be put down before he was adopted by a german shepard rescue shelter right before they went through with it. My family adopted him shortly before I returned home from university in 2015, and I've spent most of my days around him since I've come home, becoming quite close with him. We've been very thorough with our health checkups for him, and as of January he was in perfect health. As of a week ago however, he started losing his apatite, having trouble going on long walks, and various other issues. We took him to the vet today, and on recommendation, took some X-rays, to find out that he has a severely enlarged heart, as well as what the veterinarian says is fluid in his heart and other organs, as well as possible internal bleeding as a result of cancer. We had noticed his discomfort, which is why we had taken him to the vet, but we had no idea of the extent of the illness as he displays no pain, only some discomfort. We were told that his condition could degenerate into severe internal bleeding and death at any point now, and his condition is becoming more pronounced daily. It was recommended that we put him out of his pain before he suffers severe internal bleeding, which could happen any time. I just wanted to share a few pictures that I have of him.

I went from thinking he had a stomach infection to finding out he was terminal with aggresive cancer within an afternoon, just wanted to remind any other pet owners here on j2 to maintain regular checkups on their pets, and enjoy the time they have with them while they can.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Re: My Dog Charlie

Post by Neelpos » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:15 am

Charlie seems like a beautiful dog, and he has to know how much of an effect you had on his life. He was able to have the life he did because of you and your own rescuing him in a dire time.
He loves you, and you deserve it. If it's his time then you can't change that, and if you need solace then the one thing you need to know is the one thing you did change was Charlies life, you made it better.

Give that doggo every hug and kiss you can, he earned it, and you did too.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Now that is a good boy
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:30 am

Thanks guys it means a lot. Following the vet's recommendation we took him back and had him euthanized today to put him out of his pain and avoid any further complications which would have been quite painful for him. Less than 24 hours from finding out what was wrong to putting him down, we made sure to give him as much bacon as he wanted before then though.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Hippie of doom
My bullets love your face!
<font color=#94008a>My bullets love your face!</font>

Post by Hippie of doom » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:42 pm

sorry to hear man. sending you and your family love and light.
Im not random. i just think faster then you.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks Hippie! As an update, we've been researching various shelters and dogs online all week, the house just feels too empty otherwise. Today we went to a local adoption event after researching online and we' happily adopted a new puppers, her given name was Lolli, but since she hasn't learned to respond to it, we don't feel too bad changing it to Lexi. Don't have any pictures of her yet, but here's her adoption page. They said she was very timid, but she's already jumping on our beds and making herself right at home.
http://coastalgsr.org/dog_profile.php?I ... name=Lolli
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:42 pm

A Ninja wrote: but since she hasn't learned to respond to it, we don't feel too bad changing it to Lexi.
Lexiprawn is a great name for a pup.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:50 pm

charlie seemed like a great doggo. im so sorry for your loss.

with an oldboye of my own, ive been trying to hang out with him as much as possible

i can only imagine what that day will feel like.
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
Nightwolf

Post by Nightwolf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:12 am

I am sorry for your loss, I too have had doggos in the past and know how hard that moment can be. <3
SurNim wrote:SPREAD THE LOVE! OR DIE!
Mass Arrests > Suppressed Technologies Released > Finally ET Disclosure
Mass Arrests currently in progress... :toot:
Why.j2 wrote:Keep Try.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:22 pm

i am sorry brother. but im glad you seem like you're handling it ok, and i'm glad you're adopting from shelters.
A Ninja wrote:They said she was very timid, but she's already jumping on our beds and making herself right at home.
waterbear and i adopted a cat that seemed really on edge at the shelter. wouldn't play and could not relax. 10 minutes after we brought him home he was purring and playing and acting like he owned the place, despite there already being another cat in the apartment. some animals (probably most) just dont handle the shelter environment very well. it stifles their personality.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Sorry to hear about your dog buddy, A Ninja, but I think you did the right thing. I was in a similar situation years back and my mom was continuously hesitating on putting our dog down until the very last and I think it caused a lot of prolonged and unnecessary suffering until he suddenly went- it's never easy to lose our friends, but we can take comfort and solace in our memories of them, and in your case help give other shelter animals a chance at a happy life.
Hippie of doom
My bullets love your face!
<font color=#94008a>My bullets love your face!</font>

Post by Hippie of doom » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:20 pm

A Ninja wrote:Thanks Hippie! As an update, we've been researching various shelters and dogs online all week, the house just feels too empty otherwise. Today we went to a local adoption event after researching online and we' happily adopted a new puppers, her given name was Lolli, but since she hasn't learned to respond to it, we don't feel too bad changing it to Lexi. Don't have any pictures of her yet, but here's her adoption page. They said she was very timid, but she's already jumping on our beds and making herself right at home.
http://coastalgsr.org/dog_profile.php?I ... name=Lolli
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
Im not random. i just think faster then you.