Dead Horse Topics

politics, religion, science, art, barack obama, belgium, etc.
isybub

Re: Dead Horse Topics

Post by isybub » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:12 am

Rat-morningstar wrote:
reece898 wrote:On topic, anybody who claims that warming is a natural thing is plain wrong.
ಠ_ಠ
Except for the fact that one volcano eruption emits more co2 than the whole earth has produced through human emission. (stat from 2003)
You can't deny that that has something to do with it...
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:50 am

Just because a volcano emits CO2 doesn't mean it is contributing, it emits other substances including sulfur into the upper atmosphere causing a cooling effect.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
isybub

Post by isybub » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:33 pm

Silly school textbook bias.
Rat-morningstar
sexy Belgian god
<b><u>sexy Belgian god</u></b>

Post by Rat-morningstar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:05 pm

scobywhru wrote:Just because a volcano emits CO2 doesn't mean it is contributing, it emits other substances including sulfur into the upper atmosphere causing a cooling effect.
what?
a thick blanket of sulfuric gasses has a cooling effect?
venus, hottest planet iirc, is so hot because of it's blanket (filled with amongst other things sulfuric compounds), isn't it?
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:12 pm

Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Reece

Post by Reece » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Hey Isybub- can I get a citation for that fact? I am almost positive that is false.

The fact is, you are just wrong here. I'll actually cite my work- http://news.mongabay.com/2011/1205-hanc ... human.html.

In case you are unwilling to actually read that(it's only like 2 paragraphs), I'll sum it up. It says that a recent study by National Geoscience ( a scientific journal), confirms that human-produced emission has contributed to a .85 degrees celsius increase in GLOBAL temperatures.

Also, about the SO2 volcanic sulfur- Scoobywhru's facts are correct, and you guys are wrong to disregard his facts just because it might 'sound' outrageous. The same study that I mentioned before says that aerosols(the smoke from volcanoes included) have actually cooled global temperatures by .45 degrees celsius. That leaves about a .4 degree temperature rise in the past 50 years. Oh yea, forgot to mention, that rate is unseen before in the history of humankind- coincidence? No.

One more thing that you guys might not know about is a positive feedback mechanism that is natural in our environment. While sometimes useful, it can also be very bad.
Allow me to qoute renowned physicist Michio Kaku(you may have heard of him):
We could have a greenhouse effect that feeds on itself. For example, the melting of the tundra in the Arctic regions may release millions of tons of methane gas from rotting vegetation. Tundra covers nearly 9 million square miles of land in the Northern Hemisphere, containing vegetation frozen since the last Ice Age tens of thousands of years ago. This tundra contains more carbon dioxide and methane than the atmosphere, and this poses an enormous threat to the world’s weather. Methane gas, moreover, is a much deadlier greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. It does not stay in the atmosphere as long, but it causes much more damage than carbon dioxide. The release of so much methane gas from the melting tundra could cause temperatures to rapidly rise, which will cause even more methane gas to be released, causing a runaway cycle of global warming.

Maybe your thinking, 'hey, a .4 degree celsius perhaps doesn't seem like a lot'. So, let me put this into perspective. .4 degrees celcius is about a 1 degree change farenheit. But this is GLOBAL change. That means that places in the world can rise as much as 4 or 5 degrees celsius each (considering the global temp is an average). As Kaku says, just a degree or two could trigger a snowball effect that could kill humanity as we know it.

I'd also like to ask that if we are to have further discussion on this issue that you actually have facts and scientific evidence, otherwise this conversation is super-vacuous and is just a garble of incorrect 'facts'.

-Reece

Ps: Speaking of venus, I found an interesting qoute on wikipedia : "Studies have suggested that several billion years ago the Venusian atmosphere was much more like Earth's than it is now, and that there were probably substantial quantities of liquid water on the surface, but a runaway greenhouse effect (just like the one kaku mentions!!) was caused by the evaporation of that original water, which generated a critical level of greenhouse gases in its atmosphere."
kevkingofthesea: May you all bask forever in the glory of the Cube.
Rat-morningstar
sexy Belgian god
<b><u>sexy Belgian god</u></b>

Post by Rat-morningstar » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:26 am

so yeah, i'm with you reece.

i posted my ಠ_ಠ because you claimed climate change is in no way natural.
as your sources say, humanity's at fault for amplifying it, and that will probably screw us over, but climate change itself is a naturally occuring fenomenon.

and i'm curious about the physics of H2SO4 reflecting more sunlight than heat radiated from earth.
it's different wavelengths of light, but they aren't that far apart iirc.

and lastly, i'm not disregarding anything, fu
Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Post by Mad_Dugan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:10 pm

This is why it is a dead horse topic, Too much evidence for, and only testimonial evidence against.

Independent studies funded by climate change deniers are showing that the climate is getting warmer. (They then claim there must have been a flaw in their own study, but...)
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln
Reece

Post by Reece » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:13 pm

Rat-morningstar wrote:so yeah, i'm with you reece.

i posted my ಠ_ಠ because you claimed climate change is in no way natural.
as your sources say, humanity's at fault for amplifying it, and that will probably screw us over, but climate change itself is a naturally occuring fenomenon.

and i'm curious about the physics of H2SO4 reflecting more sunlight than heat radiated from earth.
it's different wavelengths of light, but they aren't that far apart iirc.

and lastly, i'm not disregarding anything, fu

That post was more aimed at isybub. Plus, I just wanted to clear things up.

Also, I think you misunderstood me in the first place, and that is probably because I was a little bit vague in my first post. Climate change itself might be natural but the phenomenon we call "global warming" as in the alarming rise of temperatures is definitely human-caused.
kevkingofthesea: May you all bask forever in the glory of the Cube.
tehENEMY

<b></b>

Post by tehENEMY » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:58 am

SAVE THE ECHOSISTEM!
"if only there was such a thing as an affordable gaming laptop" ~collin day, 1993 - 2013

Watch Free the Nipple Online Free
He who casts carcinogenic stones should not live in glass meme houses.
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:46 pm

Dead Horses?
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
Struan
Genuine Aerospace Engineer

Post by Struan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Global warming is because of man but we are only accelerating a natural cycle http://ossfoundation.us/projects/enviro ... ural-cycle. The problem with this is that we will reach the high temperature end of the cycle quicker and therefore plants and wildlife won't be able to survive the sudden change. Once the planet reaches the "high temp" point it will begin to get cooler and cause the next ice age. The point I'm trying to make is that the rise and fall of temperature IS natural but humankind are speeding it up and not allowing wildlife (and us) to adapt in time for them to survive.
Your lucky number is 559130229394580. Watch for it everywhere.
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:50 pm

Global warming is bullshit, Miami hit record lows last year.

Fuck science and facts.
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:05 pm

narwal wrote:Global warming is bullshit, Miami hit record lows last year.

Fuck science and facts.
I'm curious if you think that's actually relevant or are making a joke.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
PowerSlacker

Post by PowerSlacker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:52 pm

I could get used to warm weather...
I fuck everything I see. It shows dominance.