example of a republican

politics, religion, science, art, barack obama, belgium, etc.
Optics

Re: example of a republican

Post by Optics » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:33 pm

ehlohel wrote:aren't they white supremacists?
Exactly, lead by a lazy eyed prat, who is pretty much a nazi.
It's just really ignorant nationalists who think we are being invaded.

They have started off so many groups who protest around England, one which is the EDL who have over 70,000 facebook fans.
They are always on the news protesting about burning mosques, the funny thing is. they claim to be an un-racist and un-violent protest group.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:28 pm

ehlohel wrote:practically all other modernized countries have socialized healthcare, except for us.

why the fuck did we get all the retards?
i explained this in another thread a year or two ago but the short version health insurance was invented in the US as private business and grew into an industry that mainly sold packaged insurance to large companies for their employees. after WW2 when other countries needed a solution and implemented single-payer, we already had our (broken) system and nobody worried about it until recently
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:14 pm

I think there is also a big part of the Cold War that still plays. Even though the Cold War is over, Americans are still phobic for anything that remotely ressembles the Soviet Union. And for some reason, anythin socialized makes them think of the Soviet Union. Which of course is ridiculous.
And why do these retards compare NHS with what the Nazi's did? What the fuck is the connection between the two? Hitler put minorities in concentration camps and gassed them. What does that have to do with NHS?
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Post by Mad_Dugan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:52 pm

I think it has more to do with a portion of the population not understanding big words, so if leadership labels something and then announce it to be bad, changing peoples opinion after that is difficult. Using Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt (FUD) is a common tactic.
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:27 pm

I do like Gary Johnson, except for the fact that I'm a Social Liberal, and believe in government regulation of business.
e_e

Post by e_e » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:35 pm

Mad_Dugan wrote:I think it has more to do with the majority of the population not understanding big words
ftfy, and agreed. that majority however is split up into the apathetic and the stupid. both are problems.

ie, there are a lot of people right now complaining that congress and obama are completely ignoring unemployment and focusing too much on the budget/debt issue... lol really? it shouldn't be surprising that a lot of people are unable to connect the two. even when people aren't apathetic they can still be stupid.

congress and the president need to do a better job of speaking plain english to the public and the public needs to be more involved. but most people don't get involved until policies start to affect them directly, and when they do their focus remains fixed on their favorite pundit, and like Mad_Dugan said, "changing peoples opinion after that is difficult."

imo the only thing (besides old crazy conservatives dying) that can facilitate national progression is social media and networking. sites such facebook, twitter, youtube, and reddit are really showing what social media is capable of, but i'm still waiting for a wave of forums and networks that more efficiently focus on social progress and politics... networks that not only help us connect better with each other, but our representatives, senators, and other political figures. i'm hoping they come.