racism

politics, religion, science, art, barack obama, belgium, etc.
ehlohel
that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit
<b><i>that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit</i></b>

Re: racism

Post by ehlohel » Thu May 12, 2011 8:59 pm

if racism is treating someone of a different race poorly, is reverse-racism racism?
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu May 12, 2011 9:04 pm

what do you mean by reverse racism? like affirmative action? after 400+ years of building the country on the stolen labor of blacks and not giving them justice or equality, i think a little help getting accepted by colleges isn't too much to ask
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
ehlohel

Post by ehlohel » Fri May 13, 2011 6:17 am

what i mean by reverse racism is that (usually) a white person in power tends to lean in the blacks' favor for fear of being racist, or to 'prove' they aren't.

but what you said is basically the same thing.

edit: not just blacks. any race, really, but it usually is blacks because they tend to call the race issue most of all on whites, which is understandable because if you have a white and a black guy of equal qualifications applying for a college, it'd be 'racist' to accept the white person over the black.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri May 13, 2011 12:25 pm

i think there is so much systemic racism in this country that any tiny, feeble effort to give an advantage to minorities is well deserved and overdue. if a white guy didn't get the job, he can at least be grateful that every other day in his life things went his way and the black guy got screwed. i have no sympathy for white guys who whine about that shit
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
AHUGEMUSHROOM

Post by AHUGEMUSHROOM » Fri May 13, 2011 12:49 pm

ehlohel wrote:what i mean by reverse racism is that (usually) a white person in power tends to lean in the blacks' favor for fear of being racist, or to 'prove' they aren't.
This is soooooo true!
A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband.

-Michel de Montaigne

▲
▲ ▲
ehlohel

Post by ehlohel » Fri May 13, 2011 3:25 pm

joe wrote:i think there is so much systemic racism in this country that any tiny, feeble effort to give an advantage to minorities is well deserved and overdue. if a white guy didn't get the job, he can at least be grateful that every other day in his life things went his way and the black guy got screwed. i have no sympathy for white guys who whine about that shit
why not?

it pissed me off that my school teachers used to just let black kids off the hook, even though they'd insult them and just be all-around obnoxious. but if i threw a paper ball into the trashcan, i'd get my parents called and a detention. the whole works.

not to be racist, yeah they were kids and it was only some of them.
Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Post by Mad_Dugan » Fri May 13, 2011 4:32 pm

ehlohel wrote:
joe wrote:i think there is so much systemic racism in this country that any tiny, feeble effort to give an advantage to minorities is well deserved and overdue. if a white guy didn't get the job, he can at least be grateful that every other day in his life things went his way and the black guy got screwed. i have no sympathy for white guys who whine about that shit
why not?

it pissed me off that my school teachers used to just let black kids off the hook, even though they'd insult them and just be all-around obnoxious. but if i threw a paper ball into the trashcan, i'd get my parents called and a detention. the whole works.

That was probably more to do with fear of retaliation than affirmative action.
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln
CaptainTripps

Post by CaptainTripps » Fri May 13, 2011 6:14 pm

ehlohel wrote:
why not?

Yea...that's not affirmative action. You seem confused.

Affirmative Action is encouraging minority participation in jobs, educational opportunities, professional organizations, etc where they have historically been discriminated against. Vs expecting everything to happen on it's own. It's kind of tipping the scales the other way to make up for centuries of disenfranchisement.

That you think black kids get away with more than you has nothing to do with it. Which probably isn't true anyway, and even if it is, rest assured in the knowledge that in a few years the tables will be quite reversed, and those black kids will be several times more likely than you to receive harsh punishment for the same actions.

There is no such thing as reverse racism, racism is racism.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
AHUGEMUSHROOM

Post by AHUGEMUSHROOM » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:25 pm

A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband.

-Michel de Montaigne

▲
▲ ▲
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:33 pm

That video would be a lot more tolerable if the narrator's voice wasn't so fucking annoying.
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:59 pm

Racism is based on a primitive and useless fear and distrust humans have for things that are different to them.
The big, real differences between various populations are mainly cultural. The color of the skin actually shouldn't matter.

But yeah, try to make that understand to some of these racists.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
ZIGGO

Post by ZIGGO » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:58 am

Mad_Dugan wrote:xenophobia; once we can all hate an alien race, everything will be fine.
no, that's how all the governments will merge into one world government. By staging a fake alien invasion, people like you are just who they need to complete this evil goal.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:27 am

ZIGGO wrote:
Mad_Dugan wrote:xenophobia; once we can all hate an alien race, everything will be fine.
no, that's how all the governments will merge into one world government. By staging a fake alien invasion, people like you are just who they need to complete this evil goal.
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Haymakers9th

Post by Haymakers9th » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:09 am

Hey, since this subject is getting bumped and I don't want to ask in a different topic,

If someone (on the forum/irc/general community) is explaining something about racial slurs, and speaking in a meta-context about the word, mentions the word, that should be okay as long as they're not obviously exploiting that to throw the word around? It's totally different than someone specifically calling someone that or using it as a slur, but merely talking about the word itself like an adult.

I'm pretty sure this is the way it should be, but people are generally really jumpy about it and will jump on you about it.
Steam
GW2: Haymaker.8924 (Tinthundered, Encoelia)
stickbeast wrote: However many dicks she can manage to fit in her mouth in a year really isn't any of your business and you shouldn't judge her for it.
Ikri

Post by Ikri » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:22 am

Should be fine, really. Especially when you're trying to address the issue and you're minimized to just hinting at the word's meaning and quoting the first letter in a hushed voice like we're speaking of "V"oldemort. Just don't toss it around - use that shit responsibly.