Marijuana, good or bad?

politics, religion, science, art, barack obama, belgium, etc.

Marijuana: Good or Bad?

Good.
58%
Bad.
42%

Total votes: 45
Pennoy999
Bringing Sexeh Back

Marijuana, good or bad?

Post by Pennoy999 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:58 pm

It seem like nowadays a lot of people like to smoke or eat cannabis,
I'd like to hear what others think about this. Like whether you think
there's any real side effects or not, or if you do it or not, and all that
good stuff.
Personally, I don't think it's that bad, and I do smoke it every now and then,
but there's people I know who smoke it everyday that are paranoid, and
some who also smoke it everyday and are completely fine.
I kinda thought that using weed in moderation would be fine, like once
or twice every month, but I don't really know anymore.

Thanks for any contribution :)
huehuehuehuehuehueheueheuheuheuehueheh.

King_Fluffy
Xfire: kingfluffysxfire

Re: Marijuana, good or bad?

Post by King_Fluffy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:07 pm

It's not bad if used properly. But that doesn't mean it's exactly good. I smoke it very occasionally.

If someone likes it and has enough self control to not overdo it, then they should do it. Otherwise, they shouldn't.

What do you mean by real side effects? Are you referring to anything in particular or just generally?
tehENEMY wrote:I purchased tortilla strips not chips. They aren't even triangles they taste like lies.
Not huffy or stuffy, nor tiny or tall,
But fluffy, just fluffy, with no brains at all.

[img2]http://images.joe.to/images/2c0da8b58756cc8f740d0f5f1e6da7a2.png[/img2]
Muffin

Post by Muffin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Bogey wrote:PERSONAL INFO/EXPERIENCE
I've smoked cannabis for about 4 years now.
I currently have a medical prescription for it.
I've gotten straight A's so far this year, and have not noticed any intellectual deficiencies from my cannabis use.
I don't act like a "stoner", and neither do any of my friends who smoke pot.
If I'm playing TF2, then chances are I have been smoking hash or some sort of sativa.

ABOUT THE PLANT
Cannabis comes in two strains: indica and sativa, as well as hybrids of these two strains.
The main chemical in cannabis that gets you high is THC (tetrahydrocannabinol).
It also contains CBD (Cannabidiol), which causes more of a "stoned" feeling, as well as other cannabinoids.
Sativa creates a more energetic high, and is often described as feeling like more of a "head high".
Sativa is more psychoactive than indica.
Indica has a higher CBD to THC ratio than sativa, creates more of a "body high", is very relaxing, and will often make people tired.
Indica is really good for helping people sleep.
The part of the plant that is used for smoking or consumption are the flowers of the female plant, or the "buds".

USE
The most common way to use weed is through smoking.
Typically people either smoke the plant material, as described above, or hash.
Hash is made from the resin of the cannabis plant, and has a much higher percentage of THC.
It is often brown, a brownish yellow or green, or black.
It is sticky and it's texture is almost similar to that of hardened crumbly mud.
With hash you can smoke less, and still get just as high or higher than from smoking weed.
Many people sprinkle hash onto weed to increase the high, or put hash oil into joints or blunts.

Methods of smoking include joints, spliffs (joints with cannabis and tobacco), blunts (cannabis rolled in cigar paper), pipes, bubblers, and bongs.
Bongs and bubblers are a pretty good way to go as they filter out a lot of tar and useless chemicals, as well as cool down the smoke.

But you don't have to smoke weed to get high.
There are now several safe ways to use cannabis that don't damage your body.
Vaporizers heat up the plant enough so that certain chemicals (such as THC and CBD) are released into a vaporized form without the combustion of any plant material.
You can also use edibles.
Edibles are any type of food containing THC.
Here are some examples of edibles that I have seen at dispensaries or elsewhere:
Brownies
Cookies
Cakes
Lollypops
Soda
Honey
Breath strips
And just about everything that has butter as an ingredient.

MEDICAL USE
Uses (as a treatment, not a cure):
Nausea
Pain
Glaucoma (it reduces the pressure on the optical nerves)
Migraines
Multiple sclerosis
Fibromyalgia
Asthma (when using a vaporizer)
Premenstrual syndrome
Anorexia
Loss of appetite
Wasting Syndrome (caused by cancer and AIDs treatments)
Alcohol abuse
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
Collagen-induced arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis
Atherosclerosis
Autism
Bipolar disorder
Colorectal cancer
Depression
Diabetic retinopathy
Dystonia
Epilepsy
Digestive diseases
Gliomas
Hepatitis C
Huntington's disease
Hypertension
Urinary incontinence
Leukemia
Skin tumors
Morning sickness
MRSA
Parkinson's disease
Pruritus
Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Sickle-cell disease
Sleep apnea
Tourette syndrome

Studies in Scotland have found that cannabis use may help prevent osteoporosis in adults.
Scientists in Spain have found that THC can be used to kill brain tumors without damaging healthy cells.
Studies done at UCLA have found that cannabis use not only DOESN'T cause lung cancer, but is likely able to help prevent it.

(TIP: This is for Teleporter Exit and anyone else who uses cannabis as a sleep aid; make sure you are using an indica. If it is keeping you up or making you paranoid, you are probably smoking a sativa.)

SAFETY
Cannabis can slow your reaction time, and may cause drowsiness, lethargy, and short term memory loss, but these effects wear off when the high wears off and are not permanent.
Cannabis is believed to stunt growth in children.
Smoking cannabis will cause a build up of tar in the lungs over time (Good thing you don't have to smoke it!), but is believed not to cause lung cancer (and may even help prevent it).
There is not a single recorded case of anyone dying as a direct result of ingesting cannabis.
Cannabis is safer than cigarettes, and MUCH safer than alcohol.
It is very possible to die from too much nicotine (I've read that very little pure nicotine is enough to be lethal), and very easy to die from drinking too much alcohol.
I've read that it is not physically possible to consume enough THC to poison yourself.
Cigarettes are also physically addictive, which adds to their danger; cannabis is not physically addictive.
Cannabis also does not affect ones judgment to anywhere near the extent of alcohol.
Alcohol will allow people to do dangerous and stupid things that a high person would never consider.

Cannabis is not a dangerous substance, and I have to assume that it is only ignorance and misinformation that allows anyone to think that it is.

"GATEWAY DRUG"
From what I have read, not only have there been no studies to confirm that cannabis is a gateway drug, but there haven't even been studies to suggest it.
Some people make the argument that people can get into harder drugs through the dealer that they buy marijuana from, but this would not be a problem if marijuana was legal and available for purchase in the same way that alcohol and tobacco are.

ADDICTION
Marijuana is not addictive.
You cannot become chemically addicted to marijuana.
Some people like to make the argument that it is mentally addictive, but so is food, TV, music, sex, driving fast, video games, amusement park rides, and everything else in the whole world that makes you feel good.
Unlike physically addictive drugs, you are able to lose your tolerance to cannabis, often rather quickly (as short as a week, or a few days).
It also doesn't wear out your dopamine receptors, or even use them at all for that matter (which most addictive drugs do).
Cannabis users also do not form dependencies on the drug, as they would with addictive drugs.
I've heard some people complain about slight withdrawal when stopping after awhile, but I have never experienced this.

REASONS FOR SMOKING
Aside from medical reasons... it feels good!
It makes just about everything better: food, music, sex, movies, video games, rides, laughing, relaxing, reading, thinking, talking, walking, working, studying, listening, feeling, exploring, doing things that are usually boring, etc, etc.
It helps me get a good nights sleep.
It makes me feel happy when I'm in a bad mood, and it makes otherwise mundane experiences at least somewhat more enjoyable.
It's just one more thing in life to enjoy, and I don't see a problem with that.

That's sort of the gist of my knowledge of cannabis.
If anyone has any questions or would like to know something in a bit more detail, just ask.

P.S. Smoke weed.
Total Newbie

Post by Total Newbie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:00 pm

The answer, as with all things, lies somewhere in between.
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:17 pm

420 HITTAN DA PAT PAIP ERRY DEEY.

Everything in moderation. Too much of ANYTHING can be bad.
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:19 pm

Thank you for that muffin

skip to 0:16
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:15 pm

Regardless of the topic, this is the Mature Conversation forum so let's keep it a little less washed down with meme crap.

This has been discussed many times, but people come and go and there's no harm in it coming up again. People usually have questions regarding this controversial topic so if you're going to try and suppress intelligent conversation then stay the hell away from this section of the forums. Everyone has a right to speak.

Pot is both good and bad, therefore I refuse to vote in the poll. Due to laziness I'll just quote something from the last cannabis thread.
KoD wrote:First off, marijuana does not seem to effect the mesolimbic reward pathway, because it acts on cannabinoid receptors on the presynaptic axons of GABA and Glutamate neurons. Therefore, there is no physical addiction potential. We know through the past 4,000 years of experience with the drug. You wont convulse, seizure, sweat, flip shit like a REAL addictive drug such as opiates (#1 painkiller). You may however have strong mental withdrawal symptoms. I've gone through this plenty of times, you WANT to smoke that weed because it's relaxing. The placebo effect is very strong, and I do assume that a intense enough mental attraction to weed may cause somebody to experience some physical symptoms.

Secondly let us address this "gateway drug" theory. This is attributed 100% to the negative stigma associated with marijuana. Nobody says Alcohol or Tobacco are gateway drugs because everybody knows what to expect when they consume either. When you have so much confusion and misinformation about marijuana floating around then a person tries it out and realizes most of that was false, a whole new door of "well what else did they lie about?" is opened. Let us not forget the other primary argument about drug dealers. When you get tobacco and alcohol they are from a regulated market. When you get marijuana you get it from that drug dealer who may or may not carry other drugs. The solution to this problem is to educate people properly about cannabis.

Unfortunately, people are not educated properly about the effects of cannabis because those facts directly oppose the governments stance on pot. To them, marijuana is a schedule I drug, meaning it has high abuse potential and no medical benefits. We all know marijuana has many medical benefits. Infact, the medical benefits are astounding when you learn about the function of the endocannabinoid system. Even the FDA has accepted a drug that is 100% THC (the main ingredient in marijuana) and labels it as a Schedule III drug. The 100% THC pill Marinol is not at all beneficial to many people because it contains the pure psychoactive ingredient. In natural marijuana, there are many more chemicals involved such as CBD that play a bigger roll in pain management. The feds are cool with extracting the primary psychoactive chemical, excluding the more beneficial ones, and allowing pharmaceutical companies to profit off of it.

There are schedule III drugs that are more harmful, addictive, and psychoactive than Marijuana. Infact, nonbenzodiazepine hypnotics such as Zolpidem are much stronger than Marijuana at effecting GABA, and that stuff is prescribed to millions. It even effects the same system, just through an entirely different mechanism of action.

This all being said, I think marijuana needs to be highly researched, especially its interactions with other drugs. It is different than other chemicals because it appears to effect the system that regulates GABA/Glutamate through 2-way neuronal communication.

There appears to be very little physical and mental harm, and certainly less than almost every single narcotic on the entire list of scheduled drugs in the United States.

Source for neurological roll of cannabinoids: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11564411

Medical benefits: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/ ... onal/page4

Here's a petition the WA Gov. signed and sent to the feds, really good educational read for anybody who wants to really know some cannabis facts. There are over 500 citations http://proxy.baremetal.com/www.drugsens ... 113011.pdf
If anyone does have medical questions regarding cannabis I will be more than happy to answer it to the best of my ability accurately and hopefully with sourced information.

Something not mentioned above is how harmful marijuana can be to certain individuals. The people who have a highly elevated risk for harmful side effects are almost totally limited to people with mental disorders or predispositions to them. Diseases like schizophrenia and bipolar can be agitated and worsened during the course of cannabis influence on the CNS. There is also cardiovascular risk for people with high blood pressure, although is is minimal and subsides with regular use.

September 6th, a federal judge showed his support for the legalization of marijuana and drug reform
http://www.files.failedmiserably.com/da ... efudge.png
original link (slow due to massive traffic): http://blogs.lawyers.com/2012/09/respec ... marijuana/
prolix

Post by prolix » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:24 pm

the whole "letting it get out of control" is nothing but another silly stigma. I smoke atleast 40-60$ (worth) of A1+ Atlanta's Finest a day, but rarely pay more than 30$ a week on it. lrn2hustle.

I pretty much stay high 24/7 and carry on a pretty normal if not better life. rarely any stress, plenty of money for bills, women and expendable income.

everyone's experience is different though, i've been smoking for about 12 years now so it's like a morning coffee to me now (the habit)

if i had any medical excuse for it, 100% great for ulcers, lets me be able to eat by relaxing the swelling in my stomach and produces an appetite from the munchies. I took a break from smoking between july and december of last year and lost 35 pounds because of lack of appetite. it's helped me get my weight back for sure (150 now) once i started smoking again.

to smoke on a basis like i do you either need to sell a little or have a pretty decent income though, as if i didn't hustle mine i'd prob be in the 700-800$ range a month on it instead of 100
Django
Bow down to your King!

Post by Django » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:36 pm

It's pretty relaxing.
Just don't try to talk to other people that are not high cause they will not understand you at all.
Daniel

Post by Daniel » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:10 am

Like django said I had my friend talk to me while he was high and I was like wtf is he saying. He then went and danced by himself if you like public humiliation it's a good thing but he is a regular user I personally don't have a problem with it salon as its not overdone. Although I don't like when he does it at school it gets on you nerves sometimes. But he is a lot more relaxed then other people.

Nothing is good or bad for you it just depends on how much you use and how frequently. Have I thought about smoking weed yes I have but I never do because I don't feel it would be my thing although I will probably try it in future.
Rapscal Lion

Post by Rapscal Lion » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:57 pm

I don't drink or do drugs (aside from prescriptions) as I like to keep my head clear - this is a personal choice as I'm taking 19 credits this semester (ugh), not a condemnation of people who choose to use those substances. However, if I were strapped down and had to choose between consuming a cigarette, a joint, and a glass of liquor each day for the rest of my life, I would definitely choose the marijuana. Why?

In terms of carcinogens, the cigarettes are far more likely to give you various cancers than smoking marijuana (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1277837/). It impairs your judgement a lot less than being drunk. It also relaxes you, which I need personally because I have high levels of pregnenolone in my blood (a marker for stress). Alcohol can make people violent, which I'm pretty sure marijuana has never done. Also, you won't become addicted like cigarettes. All of these points make me wonder why marijuana is illegal, but those other two things are a-ok with the government.

Marijuana comes with risks - smoke in your body is never really good for you, but I would choose it over those other "vices" and I certainly see no reason why it should be illegal. Well actually, I do: stigma, the ugly daughter of ignorance.
Django
Bow down to your King!

Post by Django » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:38 pm

collin wrote: It impairs your judgement a lot less than being drunk.
Pftahaha, nice one.
Trust me, it is when you are high that the worse, most stupid ideas come into your mind.
Like wanting to go for ice cream at 3 am. The thing is that most of this ideas, are never taken upon
,because at the same time, you are too high damn high to actually go around and do them.
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:40 pm

There's a big difference in a non-experienced smoker getting ripped and a tolerant smoker having a casual toke.

It's about the difference in a non-drinker having some 80 proof and an experienced drinker having a beer.

I put it in this format because cannabis has a very obvious ceiling effect in regular users while alcohol can still make you shit faced even if you are an experienced drinker.
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:32 pm

KoD wrote:There's a big difference in a non-experienced smoker getting ripped and a tolerant smoker having a casual toke.

It's about the difference in a non-drinker having some 80 proof and an experienced drinker having a beer.

I put it in this format because cannabis has a very obvious ceiling effect in regular users while alcohol can still make you shit faced even if you are an experienced drinker.
This.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
Pennoy999
Bringing Sexeh Back

Post by Pennoy999 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:07 am

In my opinion alcohol has been much worse for me that weed, but that's just from personal experience..
huehuehuehuehuehueheueheuheuheuehueheh.