map making help please

Like such as the NIPPER
Locke

Post by Locke » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:44 pm

<[KAMIKAZI]> Scoot wrote:AGONY, that site you gave me (the top 1) somewhere in the middle it says you need to DL zoners and mapster.
Why do you even use that POS compiler, get Zoners, thats all you need.
e_e

Post by e_e » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:05 pm

Dude the reason nothing happens (stuff really does) is because your in the wrong 3D view mode.

the camera view...
Right click on "camera" in the top left part of camera view...
Then scroll down to "3D textured".

There...
Scoot

Post by Scoot » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:25 pm

THANK YOU!!! i knew i was a noob at this.. But i have 1 more problem and i can play. I compile maps using the wc compiler. It then comes out with a .map file. I compile that with the batch compiler and i got the BSP file. It puts it into my C:/Sierra/Counter-Strike/cstrike/maps folder (exactly where all of my maps are). but whenever i click on creat game my map is not there. i can find it using my console when im in a game and i say "changelevel de_shorthalls_beta". then it says loading like usual, then it comes up with 'counter-strike has encountered an error and must close. Send error report to microsoft?' It says that every time i try to change to my map! this is the last problem...
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:58 am

That means that the map had a very bad error. If you're still using the compile tools that came with worldcraft, thats probably why; they're 5 years old and NOTORIOUSLY bad. You want zoners tools, which ed posted a link to a few posts back. These are faster, more efficient, and better in every concievable way.

Recompile your maps with zoners and see if the trouble persists.
EDEdDNEdDYFaN

Post by EDEdDNEdDYFaN » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:27 am

bl4nk wrote:Ed, if you check the "don't start the game box" you can just run the game manually.. if you do check it, half of the tiem it will run in 640x540 or w/e it is..
ekekek thats the normal resolution i use anyway, gets me 60 fps instead of 30
ImageImage
Scoot

Post by Scoot » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:24 am

I downloaded Zoner's compiling tools and I use it through worldcrafts compiler. I just made it so it uses those .exe files instead of the original ones it came with. Is that what I am supposed to do?
Scoot

Post by Scoot » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:50 pm

One more thing, how do you make the briefing for your map?
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:37 pm

<[KAMIKAZI]> Scoot wrote:I downloaded Zoner's compiling tools and I use it through worldcrafts compiler. I just made it so it uses those .exe files instead of the original ones it came with. Is that what I am supposed to do?
Yes, change your worldcraft settings to use hlcsg instead of qcsg, hlbsp instead of qbsp, etc.

To create a briefing, just add a text file of the same name as the bsp. Look in your cstrike/maps directory for plenty of examples.
EDEdDNEdDYFaN

Post by EDEdDNEdDYFaN » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:58 pm

<[KAMIKAZI]> Scoot wrote:One more thing, how do you make the briefing for your map?
Create a .txt with the same name of the map and just type what you want and place it in your cstrike/maps or wherever your map you want the info for is
ImageImage
Scoot

Post by Scoot » Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:03 pm

Yall are probably getting pissed off by now but i am STILL getting compiling problems. I think it might be something i put in Tools - Options -Game Configurations, or Tools - Options - Build Programs. I have the Zoner compiler thingies to be used for

CSG executable
BSP executable
VIS executable
RAD executable
and the LOL executable (JK)

and I have "place compiled maps in this directory" in the right spot. (after DLing a bijillion maps i think i know where to put them). But it still isnt working!
EDEdDNEdDYFaN

Post by EDEdDNEdDYFaN » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:25 pm

wts , what error are you getting!?!?!!!? You will never get a .bsp if you get an error..
ImageImage
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:29 am

When you compile, tell what happens in the compile log. Does it throw an error at any point? If it does, it will not copy over the bsp.
Scoot

Post by Scoot » Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:34 am

Actually if you want to know the truth ever since i started using Zoners Compiling Tools it just exits me out of WorldCraft and doesnt even come up with a log.
Scoot

Post by Scoot » Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:41 am

Can yall just tell me what you guys put in

Tools - Options - Game Configurations

and

Tools - Options - Build Programs

I think that is where I am messing up. And it also might be the "additional game Parameters" in the Run Map (F9). And I am trying to map for CS.
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:36 pm

I'll use my CS config, because god forbid have it for HL or any other mod :roll:

GAME CONFIGURATIONS

Configuration:
Counter-Strike

Game Data Files:
C:\Program Files\blah...blah\halflife-cs.fgd

Texture Format:
WAD3 (Half-Life/TFC)

Map Type:
Halflife/TFC

Default PointEntity class:
light

Default SolidEntity class:
func_wall

Game Executable Directory:
C:\SIERRA\Half-Life

Mod Directory:
C:\SIERRA\Half-Life\cstrike

Game Directory:
C:\SIERRA\Half-Life\valve

RMF Directory
C:\blahblah...blahblah\maps

BUILD PROGRAMS
(Note: With the exception of where to place maps after compile, this should be the exact same for every mod, unless otherwise specified for very special reasons by the mod)

Configuration:
Counter-Strike

Game Executable:
C:\SIERRA\Half-Life\hl.exe

CSG Executable:
C:\Program Files\Valve Hammer Editor\tools\hlcsg.exe

BSP Executable:
C:\Program Files\Valve Hammer Editor\tools\hlbsp.exe

VIS Executable:
C:\Program Files\Valve Hammer Editor\tools\hlvis.exe

RAD Executable:
C:\Program Files\Valve Hammer Editor\tools\hlrad.exe