models

Like such as the NIPPER
Dr.Boo

models

Post by Dr.Boo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:39 am

couple of questions concerning models.
1) How the hell do you scale models in CS Source? I'd like to use a tree, but it looks huge on my map. I'm sure it's something very simple, but I miss it :oops:
2) Would it be possible to turn a certain brush based detailed piece of architecture, like a tombstone, into a model? Because the brush looks very nice, but it eats resources and it would be good if I could just turn it into a model (yeah I know this is a crazy question)
3) If the above is not possible, what program can be used to create models?
4) For those of you who know about modelling, if you use a texture, how do you make certain parts of that texture to render invisible on the model. Like a tree with leaves: you can see between the leaves.

thanks
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
6john6doe6

Post by 6john6doe6 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:34 am

1) im pretty sure you cant scale models.

2) nope *edit: actually i do vaguely remember someone mentioning something that converts an .rmf file into a model file for 3dsmax, but 3dsmax is quite an expensive program.

3) milkshape3d (30$), or i think theres a free program that is linked to somewhere in the SDK

4) modelling is much different than mapping. first the model is created, then you have to create a skinmesh, which is a 2d picture of the model with every side showing, it all flattened out. once that is done an artist can color the model however they like. i think transparency works relatively the same way in mapping, but im not sure since ive never created something transparent. it involves using the color blue in halflife, but it might be different for hl2.

in short, unless you are really planning on getting into modelling, it wouldnt be worth it to create this model. its a lot of work, a lot of learning, and will take your map far longer to finish. make the brush into an entity, or if you already have then apply nobrush to all textures on the indside of the brush that wont be seen, or you might just have to cut down on the brush.
Yusuke

Post by Yusuke » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:37 pm

1) Not possible to scale a model in Hammer.
2) You can export a map from Hammer into a format readable by 3dsmax and possibly XSI Mod Tool(the free modelling tool for HL2, doesn't have the full features of XSI though)
3) There's milkshape, 3d studio max, XSI Mod tool is your best bet though, it's free and its what valve had been using. I'm guessing you don't want to spend a pretty penny on a modelling package.
4) Pretty much what johndoe said, you make one texture that contains all the parts of the model, and I believe transparency is just based upon transparent parts of the texture. I don't skin much though, so don't take my word on it.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:22 pm

Thaks for the suggestions to both of you. I think I'll just keep the brushwork for the tombstones. But modelling intruiges me. I may check that out later.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please