Haloween map project CS:S

Like such as the NIPPER
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:21 pm

I've been working on one of the bombsites most of today. I used one of HL2's citadel's energy reactor rooms as a guide. Here's an out-of-date screenshot of it, taken from the very bottom. When finalized, the player will die if they try to jump below where they should.

Good thing this room is almost done. I can't wait to delete all those reference pictures I took. My final word on this map: If you think of it like a halloween 'hhh' map, you'll be juuuuust fine!
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:34 pm

Looks awsome, I cant wait.
"What isn't remembered never happened. Memory is merely a record. You just need to re-write that record."
"Ummm, if I die... It's gonna be your fault" -Mr.Blip
"J2 I am disappoint."
Gr¦m wrote:dang mangus, is that like 15 inches?
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:22 am

NIPPER wrote:My map is pretty much done, I might still have some tweaking to do because of hostages+stairs+doors.

SCREEN!

You can probably disregard what I said earlier about the translucent and selfillum not working together because I just noticed that map overviews in radar use both. It might just not be a problem anymore because nobody in their right mind is still using directX 8. But they were during the nippers_opus beta test.
Looks like Monster House! I have no screens worthy of showing yet.

Two questions:
1) If a func_door has the pitch/yaw/roll setting, what the hell is the origin point for?

2) How can I light a func_door that starts off inside a wall? Is there a minimal light setting?
STEAM_0:0:2611885
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:20 am

uhh it tells the pitch raw roll origin vertex?
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:30 am

Well what I meant was, in rotating doors, the origin serves as an axis for rotation, but since func_doors only move linearly, and direction and brush location is already specified, what is the point of the origin circle?
STEAM_0:0:2611885
TodPunk

Post by TodPunk » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:21 am

Move the origin of a door, you tilt your door. At least in SF it does.

That was kind of a pain to undo.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:45 am

Mine's pretty much done too. I just can't fix the fukking Swap Buffers thing. They say I have to "reduce the number of shader-using materials" but I don't have a clue on how to do that. I don't even know if my textures use shaders a lot or not...
other than that, all I have to do now, is to add a bombsite, and a hallway that connects one part of the map to the other.

But my map is far from being as good as NIPPER's one tho. That one screenshot tells me the map is very fucking nice :)
Last edited by Dr.Boo on Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:21 am

Could someone here inform me how I can make a map overview appear in the radar? I've followed a tutorial, but it refuses to show up.

Examples based on your own working files will be most helpful.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:54 am

This works for me: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Level_Overviews

Forget dealing with vtex.exe and get this for photoshop: http://www.fpsbanana.com/tools/222
mRgRiM
Xfire: mrgrim720

Post by mRgRiM » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:03 pm

Nice find, this will come in handy with my Photoshop 6.0.
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:58 pm

Thanks, I got it working. However I have a green outline around all my rooms. Looks like I got more deleting to do!
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:15 pm

My map is finished. There are only a few laggy spots, and the lag is not too bad. It's mainly becaus eof that fukking Swap Buffer thing, but the func_areaportals did good job making it less laggy anyways.

I've got a question tho: in order to have the looping sounds play every round, you suggested I'd place a triggering entity at a spawn area to automatically retrigger the sounds. But if I use trigger_multiple, the sounds will toggle on at round start, but they'll toggle back off as soon as someone runs through it again... how can I make a triggering entity to trigger only once per round? Does "trigger_once" only trigger once on the entire game, or does it retrigger every round?

Shall I upload my map now already?
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:26 pm

trigger_once is only once per round in source, once per map in 1.6 ;)

but if you use the input "playsound" on the sounds, re-triggering it with a trigger_multiple won't matter. You're probably using "toggle" or some other input.
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:32 pm

A trigger_once can only be triggered one time, and it resets at the beginning of every round. So if you want to trigger something at round start, a trigger_once all over the spawn points is what you want.

What I did was make a logic_relay (with the flag 'only trigger once' checked) and put a trigger_once around both teams' spawn points that trigger the relay when someone from that team spawns. When the relay is triggered, it's set to trigger everything that I want to start at the beginning of each round.

That way, it doesn't matter which team someone goes on, they will still trigger the songs to start, and the relay's flag keeps the relay from firing multiple times when both teams spawn players at round start.
NinjaBirdman

Post by NinjaBirdman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:44 pm

I finished sketching out my map today and started working on it. Have a lot of work to do but I should have plenty of time to get it done.

I'm going with a mad scientist's castle theme to it. The story to it is the mad scientist set up a huge moon blocking machine(much like Mr. Burns' sun blocking thing) after his test subjects kept being taken and eaten by werewolves. The would be werewolves in the area are pretty pissed, so they are trying to bomb the scientist's machine, or his computer that controls it.

Screenshots when I have something nice to show.

:banana: