Haloween map project CS:S

Like such as the NIPPER
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:28 pm

Deski: it's not the trees (unless the trees are brush trees). I think this has to do with brush faces and stuff.

@Ape: Yell yell yell yell! Finish!
STEAM_0:0:2611885
NinjaBirdman

Post by NinjaBirdman » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:06 pm

Some progress shots... still a lot of work to do but it's getting there.

http://www.ninjabirdman.com/images/mad_sci_castle2.jpg

These stairs should be fun, with the sliding and dying and all.
http://www.ninjabirdman.com/images/mad_sci_castle1.jpg

This is a way to one of the bombsites. The frankenstien machine thing rises, and the thing blows up cause it's stuck on high. So the lightning rod falls in on the main tower, and just so happens to make a nice bridge to the bombsite. The lighning rod also knocks out the machine that powers the laser stairs, and in doing so cuts off one of the routes to the bombsite. Should be a good way to go for the T's.
http://www.ninjabirdman.com/images/mad_sci_castle3.jpg
http://www.ninjabirdman.com/images/mad_sci_castle4.jpg
Deski

Post by Deski » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:23 pm

looks kick ass bird!!

mines done....well sort of. i deleted the trigger box and the sound doesnt play so i have to compile it......again....fuckin thing :evil:

heres some screenshots and the link to download it so you guys can test it out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/ ... ry0003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/ ... ry0002.jpg

download it here:
http://d01.megashares.com/?d01=c66696c
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:55 pm

Heh, you spelled cemetery wrong. :P

but it's lookin good.

Ninja, that's some wacky stuff you got there :D
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:22 pm

Ninja'smap reminds me the Hell level of Doom 3. It was a shitty game, but the Hell level was fukking nice.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:32 pm

Type your map readme in MSWord and spell-check before you paste it into your .txt file ;)

Deski it's a decent map but it's so small. Were you going to add it to another person’s map or what?

I guess there is room for a fast deathmatch map in the pack though. You should make the ground grass or dirt too, I’m guessing all you have to do is select the displacement and hit the invert-alpha button. I could be wrong because I’m not sure what texture you used.

Oh and the long vis time is probably due to the brush-based torches. func_illusionary and then clip brush over them should reduce vis compile time.

edit- thread is up for the first run of testing You don’t have to participate in this; we might do another if needed. But if you don’t get in on this just make sure you check your map over real good. Play test with bots if you can’t get any buddies together on a listen server. Trust me just play normal with bots for a while and you are bound to see bugs that you wouldn’t have seen if you went out and searched for them.
Deski

Post by Deski » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:44 pm

lol cemetary is supposed to be spelled wrong. the map is based off Stephen King's novel and movie, Pet Sematary.

nah i wasnt gonna add it to someones map. i wanted to make it small so it would be fast kills and stuff like that. its like you said, its a fast deathmatch map :D ill try to fix the ground tomorrow. i think i used the rock-to-grass texture. in hammer it shows more grass then rock but ingame theres more rock, so ill have to play around with it. the torchs are just entitys, a fire and light entity. theres probley some more places where i forgot to nodraw so ill search around the map some more. should be done all this tomorrow night.
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:39 am

Deski you could benefit from some of the leaf litter decals/overlays. Just hit your overlay button, filter out textures for "decal", find the ones with leaves, and splatter them on the ground next to trees.

And I would have never thought 4 triangular torches could add so much to VIS compile time. Makes me reconsider a certain roof above a certain greenhouse and guestroom that Ape might have made AHERM.
Deski

Post by Deski » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:43 am

that sounds like a great idea ayeyah. thanks man :)
MouseR

Post by MouseR » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:33 am

Dr.Boo wrote:Ninja'smap reminds me the Hell level of Doom 3. It was a shitty game, but the Hell level was fukking nice.
Come on now, Doom 3 was extactly the greatness of it's predacessors. No need to keep beating that dead horse. I had fun with it. Yeah the Hell map was fucking niiice.

Can't wait to see this shit released, it'll be pretty cool.
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:47 pm

I couldn't resist the urge to put some sorta secret club in here, so here's your first look!

ImageImageImage

This started as a room for de_joefour (RIP). I had it saved on my other hard drive, and recently found it, and fixed it up a bit for this map.
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:49 pm

Very nipperesque ;)
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:51 pm

Yep. I drew much inspiration from his awesomesauce clubs. He was even kind enough to give me his dancefloor texture, so thanks a lot for that!
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:56 pm

ayeyah wrote:And I would have never thought 4 triangular torches could add so much to VIS compile time. Makes me reconsider a certain roof above a certain greenhouse and guestroom that Ape might have made AHERM.
Stuff like this can kill vis:
I dropped about 5 hours of vis time off my partycity map by making the front sign letters func_illusionary instead of func_brush.

heh, didn't I even have a club named club bombsite?
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:59 pm

That you did. duhhh was the first appearance of it, I believe.