Haloween map project CS:S

Like such as the NIPPER
Deski

Post by Deski » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:13 pm

shit i didnt know what you meant before nipper. well im already compiling now and its almost done so theres no point of stoping it now.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:45 pm

I love that dancefloor. Ive come to realise that people like secrets in maps. I even had people posting on our server's forum asking how to get to one of my secrets (which of course I didn't tell) I only tell to a very few people how to reach it

PS Yeah, the club bombsite was in duhhh. And I think there is also a club bombsite in gahhhhh
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:23 pm

I should have a version for testing later today. I'm gonna have to forget about making the club a hidden third bombsite for now. Now it's just a regular club named "Club Bombsite".

I'm also going to have to forget about having the map's overview in the radar, as it gives away certain things that I don't want it to, and doesn't show things that should be there.
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:29 pm

Lookin crazy alpha :D

I've progressed a great deal the past two nights but it's not ready for a test...
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:09 pm

Translation:
"I was out all day partying with pseudo friends and not caring about my map."

We still love you ape. Maybe.

So final list, who has their maps actually ready for tonight?
STEAM_0:0:2611885
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:11 pm

I'll have a non-final test version. Things may change, but it's pretty much done.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm

start sending me links if you do.
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:18 pm

Puttin' it together as I type. I'll edit it into this post when it's available.

Edit: Here she is.

http://savefile.com/files/191426
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:46 pm

Mine's ready too except for those few things I have to change. As promised, you'll have the final version on the 28th (Ill send you a PM)
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:48 pm

I've come to the conclusion that my CS:S SUCKS. I'm gonna lower my graphics settings in hopes I can stay in the server longer than 10 minutes.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:28 pm

Sorry boo, too late for tonight :(

Just some notes about Alpha’s map:
I don’t like the black walls that lead up to the skybox in the graveyard / forest by the cabin. You could put a thin func_illusionary black-textured ceiling on the top it might look better and the rain would still work.

You should mark the bombsites more clearly. It took me about 30-40 minutes to get the layout down which means your average player is going to take about 6 months of playing to figure it out. Just a few more “A ->” and “<-B” decals will help.

The warehouse room was the weakest I thought. And the tops of those models don’t clip right (you can walk through the top shelf). That room needs some crazy shit in it. :D

The music that plays throughout gets a bit repetitive after a while, not sure what you can do about that though.

If you can’t make the overview I can give it a shot. I’ll nav it too but placenames are a bitch on maps like this. Why oh why can’t we have custom placenames.

Stuff for everyone:
For the final version of your maps
-Make sure any custom content (except for sounds) is bspzipped
-Make sure it’s cubemapped both with HDR off and on, if you used HDR.
-Make an overview
-Make a nav file
-Get them done by sunday night!
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:30 pm

Mind running a crash course on how to get nav files with place names working?
STEAM_0:0:2611885
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:36 pm

NIPPER wrote:Sorry boo, too late for tonight :(
NP. The most important is that it's ready for sunday night, which it will.
Except that I have no idea how to make .nav files. I'll have to google this.

But since you already saw it, is it good enough to be in the mappack?
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:42 pm

Dr.Boo wrote: But since you already saw it, is it good enough to be in the mappack?
Of course.
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:43 pm

NIPPER wrote: I don’t like the black walls that lead up to the skybox in the graveyard / forest by the cabin. You could put a thin func_illusionary black-textured ceiling on the top it might look better and the rain would still work.
Yeah, I was iffy about that, myself. I'll definatley do that, and see how it all goes.
NIPPER wrote:You should mark the bombsites more clearly. It took me about 30-40 minutes to get the layout down which means your average player is going to take about 6 months of playing to figure it out. Just a few more “A ->” and “<-B” decals will help.
Consider it done!
NIPPER wrote:The warehouse room was the weakest I thought. And the tops of those models don’t clip right (you can walk through the top shelf). That room needs some crazy shit in it. :D
Yeah, I don't have any clip brushes in there, just the prop_static models. I'll be sure to add some, as well as some kind of random creepy event. I already got one in mind!
NIPPER wrote:The music that plays throughout gets a bit repetitive after a while, not sure what you can do about that though.
There's a button in the secret club that turns it off, but it's only temporary and lasts until the round is over. I'm not sure what to do with that either. Anyone who was there got any suggestions?
NIPPER wrote:If you can’t make the overview I can give it a shot. I’ll nav it too but placenames are a bitch on maps like this. Why oh why can’t we have custom placenames.

I could make the overview. I'll have to figure out a way around certain areas not appearing, but that's something I can deal with. The nav'ing i'll send over to you, but only when i'm sure there's nothing more I can add.

Also, when you make a nav, are placenames a requirement? Because if you don't wanna bother finding the right name for a certain section of a map, i'd say fudge it. I'm sure there's no "Body Flies Out Of Blood Room", though that would be cool.

The map takes no more than 20 minutes to compile, so it won't be a big hassle to add your suggestions. If anyone else noticed anything, or has ideas for changes, lemme know!

I may remove the lip from the "rocket tiles" room, since anyone can just walk on the wood part, it makes it a little too easy. That, or i'll just put all the tiles next to eachother, so you HAVE you walk on the tiles.