Abstract map pack ('HHH' map pack) thread

Like such as the NIPPER
bobjones

Post by bobjones » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:28 am

yeah i know. and on my other maps i used cubemaps and liked how they look.

but the tiles i used on the insides are too shiny with cubemaps.
doesn't look right.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:36 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll have to fuck with the lighting a lot, and change some visual stuff like you guys say. But for the rest I think the main work is done.

Now I have to look up what exactly HDR does...
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
Skeetles

Post by Skeetles » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:39 am

I was going to make a map, then I realized that I have to make a research paper too which is worth the majority of my English grade. Maybe when mapping becomes a class...
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:25 pm

That's too bad skeetles. Make sure you're in for our next mappack ;)

Anyways, I made some changes and I'll compile tonight.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:57 pm

http://users.pandora.be/b222004/csmaps/ ... ght_v2.rar

So, here is the latest version. Fixed shit:

-More light at both spawns. It's bright enough for me, let me know if it is for you too
-Dead end at bombsite fixed
-Nodraw on displacements removed
-Palm trees are now func_illlusionary
-Missing textures should be added. If some still miss, I'll add them after my next compile tomorrow
-Made a few other dark rooms brighter
-Made the lighting a bit more varying at spawns
-Fixed the "out of buyzone" spawns
-Set collision mode of the shrubs to "not solid"
-Made bottles on the tables of bombsite 2 "debris"
-I placed a big piece of furniture in the lower street to cut it and prevent people from shooting all the way to the other side, but the prop doesn't appear (need to make it prop_override in my next compile). You will "feel" an invisible blockbullet wall where the furniture is supposed to be though
-Cubemaps are built
-removed "sellfillum" in the palm tree material which should fix the grey shit bug ajunk had

Things I have yet not fixed, but I plan to fix for the next compile (which will be tomorrow, with HDR):

-Nodraw bug NIPPER exposed on one of the rugs (bombsite 2). To be honest, I don't know how I can fix this... I thought nodraw wasn't supposed to be visible ingame? How else can I make the "sides" of these rugs not visible?
-Displacement error at T spawn: yes, I had to cut the displaced brush to make the water way pass through it... I guess I can remake that displacements... but it won't be easy.
-Tile my textures
-When you come from the pooltable bombsite, and you're in the room with the trees you will see a problem right in front of you, right above the opposite wall. I need to fix that.

I hope we will be testing this weekend a bit earlier than you guys are used to so that Ic an join in
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:11 pm

uh oh VIS can see through the sky here: http://www.homicidalape.mybigspoon.com/ ... ht0001.jpg
you're gonna have to bend that tunnel to ct spawn or something so it cant see through the sky like that.

missing texture: http://www.homicidalape.mybigspoon.com/ ... ht0000.jpg

and this i should have shown you earlier, sorry: http://www.homicidalape.mybigspoon.com/ ... ht0005.jpg
something blocks me right there, and its invisible. ?
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:37 pm

-Nodraw bug NIPPER exposed on one of the rugs (bombsite 2). To be honest, I don't know how I can fix this... I thought nodraw wasn't supposed to be visible ingame? How else can I make the "sides" of these rugs not visible?
It’s not that I can see the nodraw, it’s that I can see through the floor because there is no face there. Either texture the side of the rug or make the rug illusionary.

I see you did that on other rugs too, and it makes a hall of mirrors.

You should make the main part of the pool tables normal brushwork too. They shouldn't mess up your compile time; just the legs need to be illusionary.
Deski

Post by Deski » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:10 pm

do you have a trigger for the music at the T spawn? ive played only CT and the music doesnt play but when i played T and walk to the other end of the room, the music starts up. you should probley changed that to play every round.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:14 am

I guess I'll just use the same rug texture instead of the nodraw stuff.
Yeah, I was planning to turn the pooltables (partially) to func_detail for my final compile. But since for the test version I want a faster compilation, I turned them into illusionaries with a clip block temporarly.

And yeah Ape, that problem with the VIS is what I was talking about in my previous post. I have to find something for that.

Thanks for letting me know about the missing texture and the invisible wall. it's supposed to be another piece of furniture with a clip brush over it, but I made it prop_static...

And finally, Deski, yes there is only a music trigger at T spawn. i guess Ic an add one at CT spawn too. I'll check if it retriggers every round

What about the darkness? Is it lit enough now (the spawns mainly) or is it still too dark?
Also, do you find the lighting at the spawns to be a bit more varying now, or would you suggest more too?
bobjones

Post by bobjones » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:52 pm

mmmk i think i'm done.
i went ahead and put in cubemaps and hdr, and since i did it right this time they don't look too bad.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v16y94

and here's a couple shots on jumping advice.
green arrows = good, red arrows = bad

that last one is the hardest jump by far. but if on the first one you aim for the tree trunk you shouldn't lose any health, and if you aim for the green arrow on the second you shouldn't lose any health.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:50 pm

X MARKS THE SPOT!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:54 am

So we can add bobs map to the list of finished maps.

Is it safe to assume alpha has dropped out? I only saw the one room he was working on and he hasn’t posted in a while.

Where is beta 1 from ape? APPPPEE!?!
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:30 am

Oh, i'm far from dropped out. I've just been keeping a lot to myself until recently, where Ape and Archenemy joined me in a pre-alpha testing round. I've just have to manage working on several projects for school, as well as finding time to map. Here's a hammer shot of what I have:

So, there's no way i'm letting that much work be for naught. Frankly, I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Kidding, o'course! :D
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:35 am

I'm very close, I guess you could expect a ready to play version by tomorrow/monday. Sorry I'm always the slow guy...always feel like I'm rushing at the end.

proof I'm working: http://www.homicidalape.mybigspoon.com/ ... 16tgvc.jpg
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:45 pm

cooool 8)