Steam Update for SDK

Like such as the NIPPER
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Re: Steam Update for SDK

Post by MrBlip » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:40 pm

NIPPER wrote:Hey you can see HL2 achievements in the materials now.

I dig the nodraw and the show detail sprites/models buttons.

I’m gonna try a simple spam-off cp_ map before I try to make anything really cool.
cp_blahhh

=)
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:12 pm

Ha I suggested that to him yesterday.
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:53 pm

Boo, xmas TF2 map =D
In fact, xmas maps, everyone! Christmas spirit! Ho ho ho ho ho!
STEAM_0:0:2611885
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:57 pm

pfffft I'm the only one faithful to CSS here :ahhh:
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:03 pm

I prefer TF2 to CS:S.
ajunk

Post by ajunk » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:45 pm

Introduction

The Source SDK has been updated to work with the Orange Box games (new engine). Unfortunately this is causing some people problems.

The first thing you have to understand, is that to work with both new and old games, there are now two versions of Hammer (and all the other tools) stored in a new directory structure.

Inside Steam/Steamapps/<username>/sourcesdk/bin/ there are now two new folders. "ep1" and "orangebox"

These two folders contain the two different versions of the tools: ep1 for pre-orange box, and orangebox for...post-orange box.

Because of this new file structure, all of the game configurations for mod's you may have been working on have been lost. (your mod's still work however)

When you launch the Source SDK from Steam it is, by default, launching the version intended for Orange Box.

Loading maps for older games in the Orange Box version of Hammer wiil not work, cause problems, or if you manage to load and compile them, compile to a version incompatible with that game.

You can still, however, use the old version of the Source SDK for the older games and your mod's.

Setting up the Source SDK for older games

To use the Source SDK with pre-orange box games, you must use a command line switch to do this

1. Right click on Source SDK in the Tools tab of Steam
2. Select "Properties"
3. Click the "Set Launch Options"
4. Type this: -engine ep1
5. Click "Ok"
6. Click "Close"

Launching the Source SDK will now bring up the old version. You will know it worked if only HL2, Episode 1, HL2: DM, CS: Source, and DoD: Source show up.

If you are going to be using both versions of the Source SDK alot, it may be helpfull to setup a Desktop Icon for both.

1. Right click on Source SDK in the Tools tab of Steam
2. Select "Create Desktop Shortcut"
3. Rename the shortcut to "New Source SDK"
4. Copy the shortcut and rename it to "Old Source SDK"
5. Right Click on the "Old Source SDK" shortcut and select Properties
6. In the "Target" box, after -applaunch 211, write -engine ep1

The new version of the Source SDK should only be used with Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, and Portal. An engine update allowing you to use the new version with mod's will come later (rumour has it a few weeks)
Using the incorrect version may cause one or both of these errors:

Code:
cant load filesystemopendialog.dll

AND/OR

missing material 'materials/flatnocull'

List of Games to use Old Version with

ALL MODS
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode 1
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Day of Defeat: Source
Counter-Strike: Source

Configuring your mod's

Unfortunately, the new directory structure means that your mod configurations have been lost. You can, however, set them up again manually. For information on doing this refer to this page.

!!!PLEASE NOTE: ADD YOUR MOD'S TO THE OLD VERSION OF HAMMER, NOT THE NEW ONE!!!

Future Updates

Valve has stated that over time Counter-Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch(?) will be moved to the new engine, allowing us to use the new tools and technology when making maps for those games. Currently they do not utilize the new engine and you must use the old version of the SDK.

Valve has stated that the Source SDK Base will be updated in the near future to use the new version of the Source engine. This means that all mod's utilizing the Source SDK Base will have access to the new version of the tools and technology. When this happens existing mod's with custom code will most likely need to perform a code merge to take advantage of this. New mod's created after the update, or mod's without custom code, should work fine without any extra effort.

Valve has stated that they are unsure whether or not Half-Life 2 will be updated to use the new technology and tools, however, it is a somewhat moot point from a modding point of view as in the new future the Source SDK Base will be updated.

Portal Map Source

The .vmf for test chamber nine in Portal has been included with the SDK update. However, it does not always download for everyone. If you do not have the file in Steam/steamapps/<username>/soucesdk_content/portal/mapsrc/ then rename the sourcesdk and sourcesdk_content folders and start the Source SDK. It will then re-download these folders including the Portal map source.

New tools, Features, and Changes - Hammer

1. 3D Lighting Preview (NOTE: only lights models, and only with light from light_spot and light_dynamic entities. Also, some faces my change slightly (especially displacements) but they are not being lit)

2. Top Toolbar has three new buttons:

....2.a. "Shows Nodraw Faces" (icon is the word nodraw): when not depressed, nodrawed faces are invisible

....2.b. "Shows detail models/sprites on materials" (icon is a green leaf): when depressed detail sprites/models are shown on displacements that use them

....2.c. "Disp Draw 3D" (icon is a little hill looking curve with 3D in the top left corner): when not depressed, removes displacements from the 3D view, rendering them as the original brush face they were derived from (NOTE: This is not the same as the Disp Mask SOlid (DD) button, non-displacement surfaces remain invisible)

3. On the Displacement tab of the "Face Edit Sheet" (texture application tool) there is a new button: "Select Adjacent." This will add displacements to your selection that are next to and sewable with the displacement(s) you currently have selected.

4. New "dist" meter at the bottom of the screen, next to the object name. (i.e. info_player_start [dist: 353.0] OR solid with 6 faces [dist: 324.0]) Displays the distance from whatever object(s) you have selected to the camera in the 3D View

5. "Show Hidden Targets as Broken" checkbox on the "Outputs" tab of entity properties: Previously when the target of an I/O connection was hidden, that connection was shown as broken (red slash through icon). This toggles that behavior on and off.

6. New Object Properties dialog: the object properties dialog is now wider to accomadate a new "Value" field next to the "Property Name" field in the Keyvalues section. This lets you see all the properties of an entity at once, without scrolling through them, and even shows the actual color of a light brightness, FX Color, etc.

7. There is a new operation, "Load Portals," under tha Map menu in the top menu bar. Assumedly, this loads leaf data similar to GLView, although I have not tested it yet.

8. New Face Edit Sheet dialog. The the "Material" tab of the Face Edit Sheet (texture application tool) has been slightly reorganized. There are, however, no new features here.

New Tools and Features - Faceposer

coming soon --if any exist

New Tools and Features - Model Viewer

coming soon --if any exist

Bugs and Fixes

Bugs without known fixes

1. Cursor dissappears over rotation handles
2. New feature "Random Yaw" on entity creation does nothing
3. The in-Hammer Model Browser no longer works in the old version of the SDK
4. 3D Lighting Preview only lights point entities. 3D Raytraced Lighting Preview does not work for most people and may crash Hammer.
5. Some entities such as point_spotlight display in the Hammer 3D view as error models. The affected entities should work fine in-game, although this may make it difficult to set them up.

Bugs wtith known fixes

1. To use vtex and studiomdl for compiling textures and models in the Orange Box version of the SDK you need to add -nop4 to your command line (I do not use these programs so if anyone could give me the error generated when not using the switch I'd be gratefull)

==========================================================
Please post any comments, questions, suggestions, corrections, bugs, fixes, anything and everything that should be added to this post. I'm going to keep updating it over time.
Maybe we could get this stickied for a while?
The above written by Mr Happy of the Interlopers forum: See thread

A little extra note from me:
People with Mod configs need to update their build programs. The new update moved all the compile programs into a different folder. Instead of:

Code: Select all

$SteamUserDir\sourcesdk\bin
The build programs are in:

Code: Select all

$SteamUserDir\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:21 pm

thanks for posting all that... 8O
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:21 am

Oh my God, I really am the only one faithful to CS:S! I feel so lonely now :cry:
what's a cp map?
Commando

Post by Commando » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:28 am

not the only one i still map for it Dr.Boo ;)
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:29 pm

cp = Capture Point or Control Point.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:09 pm

Commando wrote:not the only one i still map for it Dr.Boo ;)
Ah Glad to read that :wink:
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:12 pm

Hey, i'll still be a CS:S mapper, but i'm having a lot of fun mapping for Portal right now. I'm putting together a little test map. I wanna test everything. Buttons, cubes, elevators, "high-energy pellets", all that good stuff in one map. If I like it enough, i'll release it.
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:51 pm

* Fixed problem with building cubemaps for TF2, Ep2, and Portal maps
* Added missing models and textures for Hammer and Model Viewer. This addresses two crashes
* Fixed problem loading 'FileSystemOpenDialog.dll' in Hammer and Model Viewer
* Changed the game configuration logic such that only Orange Box games are available in the active games list when the SDK is set to use Orange Box tools. Only pre-Orange Box games are available when the SDK is set to use the Ep1 tools
* Temporarily disabled Hammer Lighting preview modes until compatibility issues can addressed