Abstract Mappack 2008

Like such as the NIPPER
AlphaKennyOne

Re: Abstract Mappack 2008

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:40 pm

Here's a question. I need to know if this is just me, or if it's a user-wide problem.

Does parenting a func_brush to a func_door_rotating or func_rotating cause the func_brush to vanish? Because i'm having a problem with both. I have a func_brush parented to a func_door_rotating, and a different func_brush parented to a func_rotating, and both of those parented func_brushes are invisible and do not appear.

So can someone (or more than one person) see if what was described above causes the brushes to vanish? Because if I want to have planets orbiting the map like I want, i'll need to know if this is a problem on my end. Thanks.
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:30 am

I'll try that out tonight if possible alpha and let you know the result.
My map is coming along. It's very far from being finished, but I have a few rooms I like already. I really want to make it worthy of this mappack because I personally think de_saturday_night was not good. I wanted to try out the black and blue theme thing but it didn't turn out very well IMO.

I do use one of NIPPER's often used things in my next map though: flickering colors (like the floor in the blahhh dance room) I hope you don't mind NIPPER but I really like that effect :)
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:45 am

Thanks, Boo. Much appreciated! :D And i'm sure Nipper wouldn't mind. At least I hope so, since I made use of that in a few areas, myself! Hell, i'm adding a whole room devoted to that. It's a return of "The Nausea Lounge" from deadblock, which was based off of the Nausea Room from yeayuhhh.

As far as map completion on my end, i'm nearing a secret-less beta to release here very soon. There are just a few persisting problems that I really must get rid of. The layout is done, and the rooms are all done. It's just the bugs i'm facing now, and the implementation of secrets.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:58 am

AlphaKennyOne wrote:the implementation of secrets.
Shhhh. Don't tell people there are secrets. :ahhh:
Also I think this thread should be stickied.
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:03 am

Ohhh, there will be secrets! As for where they can be found...never gonna say. Never ever, never gonna drop a hint, never gonna mention it, never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Oh wait.

On another note, now that I think about it, how are we gonna test these maps? Each person tests seperately and gives their impressions, or a group test using some server some place?
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:05 am

Of course I don't mind, if I didn't let you guys rip me off we wouldn't have a mappack.

You've tried using other func_ stuff, right alpha? I'm pretty sure I had the same problem with the sled in xmas_nipperhouse and ended up using a func_tracktrain.

I can host a listen server, if you wanna just run around the maps with a few of us. As for playtesting I have no idea.
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:11 am

I tried func_brush and func_illusionary, but haven't tried the tracktrain yet. I'll give that a try for sure for my next test compile in the morning.

The listen server sounds like a good idea. Not sure how many people can be on it at once without lagging your comp like mad, but for just little get-together testing phases, it should work out just fine.
NIPPER wrote:if I didn't let you guys rip me off we wouldn't have a mappack.
And I wouldn't have a T-spawn :P
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:52 am

You have no idea how much I want to show more screenshots, but I must resist the temptation and keep the surprise.
Yeah a server would be nice, except that I again fear the timezone difference between the US and Europe.

I'm also not sure what I want to put in as a "reward" for completing the secret stuff if there is any. I made a Hall of Idiots in de_boohouse but I don't think many people did even notice the existence of it :)
I'm thinking about some kind of a second Idiot Hall or something like that. I don't have much ideas :(
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:39 am

Set up a date, time, get me links to everything I need, and I can set up a server for you guys.
knoid
            Mostly Ornamental
            <b><font color=#556b2f>Mostly Ornamental</font></b>

Post by knoid » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:23 am

Dr.Boo wrote:You have no idea how much I want to show more screenshots, but I must resist the temptation and keep the surprise.
Yeah a server would be nice, except that I again fear the timezone difference between the US and Europe.

I'm also not sure what I want to put in as a "reward" for completing the secret stuff if there is any. I made a Hall of Idiots in de_boohouse but I don't think many people did even notice the existence of it :)
I'm thinking about some kind of a second Idiot Hall or something like that. I don't have much ideas :(
'Room of Pointy Death' (self-explanatory)
'Marmalade' (everything different shades of orange)
'Chamber of Dubious Provenance' (we don't know how it got here)
'Church of Imminent Demise' (like the temple of doom, except with less dust and more stained glass)
Cc_Hairy wrote:my favorite part:

fart life may cause less gross suffering than some other evils; but spooge, being more universal fart more subtle, pain. fart remedy lies, indeed, partly fart charity,
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:24 pm

knoid wrote:'Room of Pointy Death' (self-explanatory)
'Marmalade' (everything different shades of orange)
'Chamber of Dubious Provenance' (we don't know how it got here)
'Church of Imminent Demise' (like the temple of doom, except with less dust and more stained glass)
Your words confuse me.
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:48 pm

Remember to make your secrets impossible on a multiplayer match.
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:14 pm

HomicidalApe wrote:Remember to make your secrets impossible on a multiplayer match.
Don't worry. They don't have the ghost of a chance to ever find the secrets without getting killed or without my guiding or without decompiling.
By the way knoid, thanks you gave me an idea. I'm gonna credit you for it
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:50 pm

Yeah, the only way to find the secrets in mine would have to be if they have prior knowledge of where they are, or if they find one on accident. Good thing there's always that decompile protector prefab. It won't stop everyone from getting around it, but it will stop the average decompiler person.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:03 pm

NIPPER wrote:I can host a listen server, if you wanna just run around the maps with a few of us. As for playtesting I have no idea.
Remember, I may have a 24-slot server located in Virginia later this month to early next month.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not