Models and sounds

Like such as the NIPPER
func_?

Models and sounds

Post by func_? » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:59 am

Guys, I have to be frank, after around 3 years of mapping, I still have NO idea how to use/add/locate sounds or models and use them in my map. I know that you have to use GCFscape and open counter-strike.gcf, take out the models and sounds, and put them into your cstrike folder. BUT, I simply cannot find the useful sounds like boom.wav, or models like shell.mdl in the .gcf. Recently, I downloaded a pre-made map for turrents, which have the values "models/shell.mdl"

However, in my models folder there is NO such thing!

Yet it appears perfectly normal in-game.

So, my question is this. What the hell? Please help this hopeless wreck. Thank you.

Oh, and I have to add another fact... I have 2 different versions of cs 1.6, one is bought from steam and the other is an illegal copy. I use the copy for testing maps. I added this because I'm afraid there might be something wrong when I use the copy to test maps. It might have nothing to do with it though. Thanks a ton guys.
-War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left.
reaper4172

Re: Models and sounds

Post by reaper4172 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:45 am

Do not place them in your cstrike folder that would make no sense, it is already in the game if it is from the gcf. just find out what the path is and add it in the model/sprite/sound file name line. e.g. (sound/vox/hello.wav)

If you are adding other sounds/sprites/models that are not from the gcf just make sure you put them in the correct directory.
<1.6 mapper>
reaper
func_?

Post by func_? » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:24 am

Ok, so where do I exactly put the folder (I don't know what you mean by "just find out what the path is...")? In the same folder as the batch compiler, in the ZHLT folder?

Another thing, how come I can't see the models in the .gcf file, yet it shows up perfectly well in-game? Do I have to open another file other than counter-strike.gcf?
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:10 pm

Anyone playing CS 1.6 legitimately will have the GCF as well, which means you don't need to pull anything out of the GCF. Just browse the GCF for what you need, make a note of the name of the file (ie, models/shell.mdl), and put it in the field as needed. IIRC, hammer for goldsrc uses special entities for models. I think you can use cycler_sprite to have the model actually show up in hammer.
STEAM_0:0:2611885
func_?

Post by func_? » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:17 pm

Yes, but i could not find shell.mdl in the counter-strike.gcf. Do I need to look in other places?
reaper4172

Post by reaper4172 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:46 am

Oh jeeze you really don't know much do you lol. you can find the shell model in half-life.gcf. it uses the half-life game CS is a mod of it. the path is where ever you find it in the gcf so if you have to go into the sound folder then the ambience folder to use crickets.wav the path is sound/amience/crickets.wav. its really hard to explain something like this when it is really easy..People normally don't need to be tought how to do this stuff.
<1.6 mapper>
reaper
func_?

Post by func_? » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:03 am

Oh, finally I found the file... I've been searching in the wrong place for years...

Ok, now for another retarded question that's been bugging me years, where do I put the file once I've extracted them? In the ZHLT folder where the compiler is, in the cstrike folder, or in the valve hammer file where the .rmf is located? That's all, thank you very much.
reaper4172

Post by reaper4172 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:57 am

ok again you do NOT extract any files. you do not put anything anywhere. all these models and sprites from the gcf are IN the game they are built into it thats what a gcf is
<1.6 mapper>
reaper
func_?

Post by func_? » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:00 am

Actually, I know that (finally!), I was just afraid that the file needs to be embedded into the map.

OK, one last really retarted question, where do I put the lights.RAD (for the glowing effect on specific textures) folder?
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:08 am

lights.rad is not a folder.
func_?

Post by func_? » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:33 am

Erm, file, sorry.
reaper4172

Post by reaper4172 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:04 am

Put the lights.wad with where your compilers are
<1.6 mapper>
reaper