Re: The Left4Dead mapping and mappack discussion zone

Post by Majin » Tue May 19, 2009 9:37 am

NIPPER wrote:We already have the five maps set for this pack:
28dayslater mansion
haunts
moria
ancient ruins (DrBoo)
the finale
Which one of these is short for dark_island?

"Alright i'm outta here." -- FUTURAMA won't you come back?
Rat-morningstar
sexy Belgian god
<b><u>sexy Belgian god</u></b>

Post by Rat-morningstar » Tue May 19, 2009 4:49 pm

omfg joe awesome idea.
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Tue May 19, 2009 6:26 pm

joe wrote:i would like a level with 4 or 8 mounted turrets. it could be a short level just meant as a break, but i've always wanted to tear shit up with a turret but it's very hard in default maps because there's only 1 turret and it's nowhere near a defensive location
Joe. I will do this for you. <3
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Tue May 19, 2009 7:48 pm

:-D
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Tue May 19, 2009 11:19 pm

Some problems I'm having with l4d mapping

Zombies love to get stuck in func_doors even if there are other ways around
Bots don't avoid trigger_hurts
zombies suck at climbing zombie ladders that aren't tweaked with
elevators have to be made PRECISELY the way valve set it up, even if that elevator is going down and not up and using it is optional (the bots won't figure it out and the map will be unplayable)
Bots won't pick up medkits in the saferoom in some cases
optional medkits, pistols, pills, grenades etc spawn 100% of the time even if "must spawn" flag isn't checked?
bots won't figure out how to unlock locked doors (find a key to unlock a door that sort of thing)
zombies keep spawning in my saferoom even though the nav sections are marked correctly?
Chief Cheese

Post by Chief Cheese » Tue May 19, 2009 11:39 pm

report. it's beta.

i could imagine bots having trouble with custom stuff that they hadn't planned for.
i <3 cheese. cheese <3 evry1. u= an every1. thus, by transitive property i <3 u
Chief Cheese the amazing wrote:
Neelpos wrote:I eat pig fetuses. Like the kind they dissect in biology classes. Formaldehyde and all. After I have sex with them of course. Also, I loved George Bush and donate all my money to Family Radio.
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Wed May 20, 2009 12:53 am

I'm having a bitch of a time with this func_door thing. I have no idea how valve avoided this problem, I checked out the nav of No Mercy 2's crescendo event to try to get some hints on how they managed to do it, but there doesn't seem to be anything special about the nav around that door

I tried nav_avoid, NO_MOBS, and EMPTY marks around the door and I put a bunch of alternate routes for the zombies to go but they pretty much ignore every path and wait patiently for the door to open

Oh, and when I start a panic event, zombies NEVER spawn from behind. It's a letdown for me because I made a complicated series of zombie tubes for them to jump out of, but the zombies always spawn in front in the most direct way possible
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Wed May 20, 2009 3:20 am

NIPPER wrote:I'm gonna have to use some CS:S textures in the haunts port. There are a few that just don't have any suitable replacements for. Like the curtains and the wood wall at the base of the stretch rooms.

There aren't any good old-timey lamp post props either :(
I forgot you were doing this! This time, I remembered: I'll upload the whole haunted mansion ride soundtrack for you, if you don't already have it. Track 3 is the entire Disneyland spiel, track 4 has the library bit from Disneyworld, and track 10 has sound effects (a lot of which you've already used). If I remember correctly, most of the music and voiceovers happen on different stereo channels, so you can dissect and pull out what's needed in Soundforge or something.

http://ayeyah.therisenrealm.com/files/h ... ionost.rar (~50MB)

Also, fuck what FPSB thinks =(
STEAM_0:0:2611885
Chief Cheese

Post by Chief Cheese » Wed May 20, 2009 2:25 pm

Nipper: props_urban/light_fixture01.mdl
i <3 cheese. cheese <3 evry1. u= an every1. thus, by transitive property i <3 u
Chief Cheese the amazing wrote:
Neelpos wrote:I eat pig fetuses. Like the kind they dissect in biology classes. Formaldehyde and all. After I have sex with them of course. Also, I loved George Bush and donate all my money to Family Radio.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat May 23, 2009 10:03 pm

Sizzler wrote:I'm having a bitch of a time with this func_door thing. I have no idea how valve avoided this problem, I checked out the nav of No Mercy 2's crescendo event to try to get some hints on how they managed to do it, but there doesn't seem to be anything special about the nav around that door
It's the flags for func_door- there's something like "survivors / zombies avoid when closed".

progress screenshots:

Haunts is a light brighter in l4d, the lighting and fog and crap needs to be tweaked bigtime

slight layout changes

No more DoD:S stuff

I figured out how to spawn a specific zombie, so I had some smokers spawn off on that one ledge in the stairs on moria...
So I stood there and let a smoker grab me off the stairs and one by one the bots would slip off the edge while trying to pull me up. Then francis got grabbed by another smoker and is hanging way the hell down the pit there.

The entity to force a zombie spawn is commentary_zombier_spawner and the type(hunter, smoker etc) is the parameter override.

I'm still trying to figure out the mini-finale
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Sat May 23, 2009 11:50 pm

FUUUCk moria looks amazing
"What isn't remembered never happened. Memory is merely a record. You just need to re-write that record."
"Ummm, if I die... It's gonna be your fault" -Mr.Blip
"J2 I am disappoint."
Gr¦m wrote:dang mangus, is that like 15 inches?
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Sun May 24, 2009 5:32 am

Whoa... Moria seems to have a really cool atmosphere. And haunts never sceases to amaze me. It's gonna be so cool in L4D. I'm gonna post some screenshots later too.
I have a couple of questions though:
- How do you make a high border "fallable"? I mean, how do you make it that when the Survivors fall off, they grab the border and need to be pulled up?
- My fog looks like shit and I'm afraid I'll have to drop it. I have fog on my map and added the same fog in my skybox. The problem is that any distant object in my skybox now glows my fog's color awfully. When I try to make the fog in the skybox less dense than in the map, it looks worse because you see the map and the skybox simply don't fit. ANd putting no fog anywherre at all kills my map's atmosphere... suggestions?
- In what folder does sound go?
- How do you make ladders only the infected can climb? (I don't need to add the claw marks, since it's not VS)

There are probably other problems I can't think of right now. Since I plan on mapping today, I'll add them later.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Sun May 24, 2009 2:25 pm

How do you make ladders only the infected can climb? (I don't need to add the claw marks, since it's not VS)
ya i need that one to. and

Moria looks amazing like truly amazing.

Haunts is fantastic.

I can see great things coming from you guys.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sun May 24, 2009 2:52 pm

Dr.Boo wrote:- In what folder does sound go?
I would guess SteamApps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\sound\
Mine are in there and they aren't working though :(
Dr.Boo wrote:How do you make a high border "fallable"?
navs do it automatically
Dr.Boo wrote:My fog looks like shit
You could try info_particle_system I don't know all the names though, there were a few in the NoMercy1 vmf like fog_volume_1024_128.

I would play with the env_fog_controller some more. Make the end distance some big number like 20000 for the skybox one and see what it looks like.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Sun May 24, 2009 6:22 pm

NIPPER wrote:I would guess SteamApps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\sound\
Mine are in there and they aren't working though :(
Neither do they for me... We'll have to find out what to do with sounds. The mood of my map largely depends on ambient sound.
NIPPER wrote:navs do it automatically
It didn't do it for me :( Then again, my nav file is faulty. There must be something wrong with my map and I hope it's not something that will require me totally redoing a bigass part of the map.

Now, as I promised, some screenshots. But as I said, my main problems are
-The nav file. It spawns special infected as it should, but the common infected just group up somewhere and are nowhere to be found on the trdt of the map. Horde chimes don't spawn hordes and my panic even doesn't spawn hordes neither. However, Boomer puke seems to work.
-My fog. But as Nipper says, I'll have to fuck around with the controller. Here's an example of what I mean my problem is. The dark part is part of the 3D skybox, the light blueish part is the fog on my map. Unfortunately, if I make the fog in the skybox more intense to match the map, distant geometry in the skybox will look radioactively blue glowing.
-Checkers textures. Have a look at this, you'll see what I mean. And no obviously that's not what my texture looks like

For the rest, the map seems to be coming along.

Small mistake in the skybox to the left, but you see the "radioactively glowing" thing on the right

Some stairs

joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please