The Left4Dead mapping and mappack discussion zone

Like such as the NIPPER
NIPPER

Re: The Left4Dead mapping and mappack discussion zone

Post by NIPPER » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:36 pm

A mix of everything to the right of 1 and 7 (including 1 and 7) is about what I'm looking for. :D

On another note check my front page for a quick campaign update I added. (yes the poster is a joke that won't really be the poster) In the screen of your map, under the bridge there, the spike things have some missing polygon errors that need fixing. I think that's caused by rotating them so I dunno what the fix would be aside from straightening them.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:39 am

NIPPER wrote:A mix of everything to the right of 1 and 7 (including 1 and 7) is about what I'm looking for. :D
I'll let you know when I have something. if you want to use a stocked texture, you'll have to give me the name of that material that should use the sprites... the one having the detailsprite thing set to rural_dirt_road or something like you told me on Friends yesterday
NIPPER wrote:On another note check my front page for a quick campaign update I added. (yes the poster is a joke that won't really be the poster)
That's cool :) Do you plan to have a permanent page for the campaign with a link to download it once it's ready? If so, I'll point the domain name I bought to it. Your screenshots would be great as thumbnails for the lobby thing if it wasn't for the crosshairs :( Did you know that when you made the "shitty orange dev maps" campaign poster, people on the steam forums were getting all excited because they thought you were actually really making one?
Moria looks amazing by the way. Especially on the right of that screenshot where it looks like the mine goes on forever.
NIPPER wrote:In the screen of your map, under the bridge there, the spike things have some missing polygon errors that need fixing. I think that's caused by rotating them so I dunno what the fix would be aside from straightening them.
I know. I've just been too lazy to delete those and put new ones and rotate them differently. I'll do that asap though.
Seeing your screenshots, I think we're nearing a beta release really really soon :)
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
Majin

Post by Majin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:59 am

I'm pretty pumped to play untitled by Nipper.

"Alright i'm outta here." -- FUTURAMA won't you come back?
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:24 pm

nipper + l4d = greatest custom maps of all time possibly
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Chief Cheese

Post by Chief Cheese » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:40 pm

I've had less time to do stuff now then I did during the school year. . . wtf.
i <3 cheese. cheese <3 evry1. u= an every1. thus, by transitive property i <3 u
Chief Cheese the amazing wrote:
Neelpos wrote:I eat pig fetuses. Like the kind they dissect in biology classes. Formaldehyde and all. After I have sex with them of course. Also, I loved George Bush and donate all my money to Family Radio.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:11 pm

Majin wrote:I'm pretty pumped to play untitled by Nipper.
It's probably going to be the weakest of the pack.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:55 pm

NIPPER wrote:
Majin wrote:I'm pretty pumped to play untitled by Nipper.
It's probably going to be the weakest of the pack.
Now now don't be modest. Everyone knows my maps are no match for your maps which automatically defaults mine as being the weakest of the pack ;)
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:29 am

By the way, I've forwarded my domain name to the campaign's page on your website.
http://www.l4dnt.com/
I can have it forwarded to anything else if you decide to change the address or something :) You can use this address when you'll announce the campaign and show some screenshots if you want. I've been thinking about creating a quick webpage dedicated to the campaign but I simply don't have time for this :(
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:45 pm

rural_dirt_road is the detail group name if you have the code

also lol:
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:50 am

NIPPER wrote:rural_dirt_road is the detail group name if you have the code
I don't have the original Valve code, but I have code I generated myself. You can tweak it as much as you want:

Code: Select all

//RURAL START===================================
	rural_dirt_road
	{
		"density" "500.0" 

Group1 

{
			"alpha" "0"

//Model1 
			//{
			//	"sprite" "0 0 160 256 512"
			//	"spritesize" "0.5 0.0 40 64"
			//	"spriterandomscale" "0.2"
			//	"amount" "0.01"
			//	"detailOrientation" "2"
			//}

Model2
			{
				"sprite" "160 0 112 112 512" 
				"spritesize" "0.5 0.0 28 28"
				"spriterandomscale" "0.2"
				"amount" "0.01"
				"detailOrientation" "2"
			}

Model3 
			{
				"sprite" "320 0 176 160 512" 
				"spritesize" "0.5 0.0 44 40"
				"amount" "0.1"
				"detailOrientation" "2"
			}

Model4
			{
				"sprite" "160 144 128 112 512" 
				"spritesize" "0.5 0.0 32 28"
				"amount" "0.1"
				"detailOrientation" "2"
			}

Model5
			{
				"sprite" "272 144 96 112 512" 
				"spritesize" "0.5 0.0 24 28"
				"amount" "0.1"
				"detailOrientation" "2"
			}

Model6
			{
				"sprite" "368 160 128 96 512" 
				"spritesize" "0.5 0.0 32 24"
				"amount" "0.1"
				"detailOrientation" "2"
			}

//Model7
			//{
			//	"sprite" "0 256 128 256 512" 
			//	"spritesize" "0.5 0.0 32 64"
			//	"amount" "0.01"
			//}

//Model8
			//{
			//	"sprite" "128 384 48 128 512" 
			//	"spritesize" "0.5 0.0 12 32"
			//	"amount" "0.1"
			//}

//Model9
			//{
			//	"sprite" "176 256 96 256 512" 
			//	"spritesize" "0.5 0.0 24 64"
			//	"amount" "0.1"
			//}

//Model10
			//{
			//	"sprite" "256 288 256 244 512" 
			//	"spritesize" "0.5 0.0 64 54"
			//	"amount" "0.1"
			//}

}

Group2
		{
			"alpha" "1"			
		}

}
	//RURAL END=====================================
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:17 pm

STATUS UPDATE:
map1 needs: Optimization, item placement
map2 needs: Optimization, item placement, fixed up crescendo events
map3 needs: Optimization, item placement, fixed up crescendo events, lighting stuff, details
map5 needs: Optimization, item placement, lighting stuff, a working finale

map1 and 2 will be a pain in the ass to compile. I know haunts will take at least 3 hours but map1 I am yet to even try to fully compile. They all need small details too but I'm not worried about some rooms looking empty for b1.

The big thing now is how do I make the finale work. I mean what's the bare minimum stuff I need for it to function? Valves maps have a lot of extra crap going on and I'm having a hard time figuring out what is necessary and what is extra. I'm not gonna have a rescue vehicle swoop in, I basically just need a door to open, the players walk in and the credits roll.

Also how do I make buttons glow? All I see in the valve maps are prop_dynamic with no special settings. My prop_dynamics don't glow.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:12 am

I found a tutorial a while ago that explains the finale stuff. I'll see if I can dig it up, but not now since I'm at work :(
It involved some entities that I'd have never thought of. It even involves nav editing stuff (allbeit simple). I'll let you know. I'll try to make a map with a simple finale myself.

I need to learn it and all the other basic shit like crescendos etc myself for future group campaigns eventually anyways. It will make these go easier... now we're actually still learning.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:30 pm

I made a quick finale and it works. Here is the tutorial I followed word by word. The only difference is that the tutorial has a subway car arrive after you kill the second Tank and drive off once every living Survivor is on board.
The finale I made is just like you want it: a door opens, move through it, door closes, end game. And this means you can skip a whole part of the tutorial that talks about fun_tracktrains and tracks and all that shit.
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... nts_Part_1

In a nutshell:
- Place a trigger_finale entity and give it whatever model you want. I used the radio to call for help. I called it boo_radio. You have to "use" it twice before the finale starts.
- The finale starts, you play it, kill all those hordes and kill those fat fuck Tanks.
- As soon as trigger_finale starts the escape sequence (after Tank 2 dies), it triggers a logic_relay I called boo_startrelay
- As soon as boo_startrelay is triggered, it opens the func_door I called boo_finaldoor through wich you have to escape. It also tells the trigger_finale entity (boo_radio) that the escape room is now open and that the survivor bots should walk to it. The survivors recognize this room because it has the "mark RESCUE VEHICLE" attribute. You'll easily recognize it on my map, it's the SHITTY ORANGE DEV TEXTURE room.
- Inside the escape room, you draw a trigger_multiple. As soon as all survivors are in this entity, it will trigger another logic_relay I called boo_continuerelay. This means the Survivors are inside the escape room and are getting away.
- When boo_continuerelay is triggered, the door boo_finaldoor closes, the survivors are teleported to some safe spot somewhere in a small room outside your map. Check out my map and look for the SHITTY DEV GRAY TEXTURE room. You'll see what I mean. This is to prevent the survivors from getting hurt after they made it in the escape room. And last but not least, a third logic_relay named boo_endrelay is triggered.
- When boo_endrelay is triggered it tells boo_radio (the trigger_finale) that the Finale is over and that the Survivors got out.

Sounds complicated? Don't worry, it really isn't.

This last relay should also trigger the fade out and credit rolling stuff as well as really ending the game and calculating the scores but that's also described in the 3rd part of the tutorial.
I really simply followed the tutorial. Except that instead of triggering the arrival of a subway car and it's departure once all remaining Survivors are in, my sample map triggers the opening of the door and it's closure once all Survivors are in.

You also obviously have to make sure the Survivors are unable to open or break the boo_finaldoor because obviously, if they can walk, the finale will be force ended. Eventually you can disable this trigger_multiple and enable it as soon as boo_startrelay is triggered.
If you have any more questions, you know where to find me.
Here is the sample map
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:53 am

thanks boo. I got it working. Still have a bunch of nav issues to work out. The zombies only spawn in the middle which is the opposite of what I want. I know I just marked it wrong. And the bots don't run for the "escape vehicle" either. The zombies chase me to it but the survivors just stand around till they die.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:49 am

NIPPER wrote:thanks boo. I got it working. Still have a bunch of nav issues to work out. The zombies only spawn in the middle which is the opposite of what I want. I know I just marked it wrong. And the bots don't run for the "escape vehicle" either. The zombies chase me to it but the survivors just stand around till they die.
That's strange. Are you sure you have a relay that tells the trigger_finale thing that the Finale is over and that the bots should gtfo? Also make sure the trigger_finale triggers the relay itself once the second Tank dies.
If you did, there is probably something wrong about your nav. Make sure you marked the escape room as "mark RESCUE VEHICLE". If you still can't make it to work, you can send me your VMF if you agree to. I'll have a look.
About the infected spawning where you don't want them to, I think "mark OBSCURED" will force the infected to spawn there more likely, but I'm not sure of that. I'll have to try it out.

BTW I made a little clip yesterday showing some footage of my map and with nice little texts saying "Presenting you chapter 4 of our custom campaign blablabla made by blablabla coming soon blablabla" and some background music and shit... it kinda feels like a promotional video :) If you want, you can give me some footage of one of your maps or a recorded demo or something so I can make a little clip with that too.
I haven't put it on youtube yet. I think it's better to wait till we're about to announce the upcoming campaign 'to the public' to do that.
I'll put the clip somewhere on my webspace for j2 to see though.