Night Terror - A j2 l4d campaign - beta 1 and beyond

Like such as the NIPPER
joe
The Big Cheese

Re: Night Terror - A j2 l4d campaign - beta 1 and beyond

Post by joe » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:54 am

put a 2nd wall further out behind the cracked wall to keep stuff from attacking it

also at the end when i figured out the whole thing was a nightmare, it was cool. it's a great idea, and i think all you need to make it work is start the whole thing with a "going to sleep" event. it could be simple, just an event showing each person alone in a room with some text saying "time for bed" or something and then warping to the start of map 1. and at the end something reinforcing it more than the black room with floating stuff, like warping from there back to the bedroom alone with sunshine pouring through the window. that would be fucking awesome and instead of a bunch of random good maps, it would be an epic campaign with a real story
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:15 pm

The four characters sleeping in some safe room or safe building or something, with the camera on them, then it goes 'into' one of their heads and fades to black, unfading into the first scenario?

I would assume pile the character ragdolls in some corner or find an animation that looks like they're sleeping.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:53 pm

Here's the stuff I was talking about earlier:

Wall texture inconsistency:

Maybe add an infected ladder on the other side? The infected keep raging against the fence and can't get over before the crescendo happens.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:06 pm

I can't put a ladder on the breakable part but I do have ladders around it. Yet they prefer the breakable part anyway :?
Rothko

Post by Rothko » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:08 am

This is an amazing campaign. So original, so varied and a hell of a lot of fun :twisted: !

But... I found there to be a lack of ammo early in the mansion level.
Before the final mission it would be nice to have a player re-spawn room (like on the official campaigns).

Otherwise, my sincere congratulations on a truely remarkable set of maps!! Certainly my favourite campaign!

I'm off to try out versus on it...
Thanks. :)
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:38 am

Rothko wrote: I'm off to try out versus on it...
Thanks. :)
Thanks for the feedback. We really appreciate it. But I wouldn't recommend trying Versus on it now... they're simply not ready for that yet.
We do plan to make it Versus supported once the Co-Op version is final, polished and bugfree (unless Nipper suddenly decides not to do so but I doubt he'll say that :) )
datarush

Post by datarush » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:17 pm

Great campaign, excellent settings, but overall its really stingy with ammo, pills, upgrades, molotovs and pipe bombs (i.e. everything). As it is, Normal is about as difficult as it can get and be winnable. At least give us a 2nd pistol early and later something to throw in Moria for chrissakes!

Notes:
Bots won't pick up med packs in safe rooms, even if you lead them there and stick their noses on them.

Bots always, always, get tripped up and get stuck on the ledge on the long stone stairway descent in Moria.

If you're going to camp a Smoker in the same Moria stairway scene that you can't see until he snags someone (being far more accurate than goblins), then Legolas should also be there to kill him.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:08 pm

I thought you can see the smokers pretty easily in the stairs
When 2 of my teamates died in the moria chapters they spawned in the end safe room of the jungle ruins chapter away from the rest of the time, with no health packs or ammo.
This is the strangest bug. I'm betting it would happen on the other maps too but moria is just the one map where one person is almost always dead at the end.

guys, guys I'm gandolf!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C0IAhbl1L4
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Yeah I personally think the smokers are easy to spot because of their smoke particles they release. And if you have an M4 or Hunting Rifle, they're fairly quickly dealth with.
The saferoom bug is really weird. I don't know if it's the Jungle's beginning saferoom that bugs, or Moria's ending one... we'll have to look into that. Maybe we can test it on other maps too? We'll need a few human players for that.

Also, nipper, what do you think of this for the hints?

And lol @ that video :lol:
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:52 pm

NIPPER wrote:I can't put a ladder on the breakable part but I do have ladders around it. Yet they prefer the breakable part anyway :?
Why can't you put a ladder on the breakable part? The ladder could easily be killed when the breakable dies. Am I missing something?
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:54 pm

ehhhhhh I'll see if I can work something out myself. I'm not sure what I want them to say.
Avvatar wrote:Why can't you put a ladder on the breakable part? The ladder could easily be killed when the breakable dies. Am I missing something?
func_ladders don't have names or any options that I could find

wait a minute they did they have a dynamic ladder in nm3 so there must be a way
Coroner

Post by Coroner » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:49 pm

Mr Miller,
You have out done yourself this time. My lord what a map. A friend told me about it and we ran around it from 11am until 10pm. Talk about creative. The props and sounds are amazing. I really like the finally and the way the last safe room looks. We had a couple rounds where all 4 of us were inside and the tanks almost made it in at least it seemed they would.

There were a couple times where an error message box appeared at the beginning of a level that said something about the NAV file but had a continue button so we just kept going. Also, when we spawned for the last level, I spawned by myself in the safe room and the others spawned together across the map somewhere. They didn't tell me where but they did make it over to the safe room to heal and amo up.

I remember when you came up with lost for cs:s and I've been wondering if or when you just might dabble in Left4Dead. Sure glad you did! This is some awesome work. All I can do at this point is pray that you have more maps up your sleeve.

You and the good doctor should get some sort of metal for this!

Good times thanks to you bud......
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:44 pm

Coroner wrote: You and the good doctor should get some sort of metal for this!
I suggest Iron Maiden.

Hahah- I WANNA PLAY THIS WITH YOU PEOPLE!

Edit: Okay, just played it with Blip, someone who may or may not have been Sizzler, and some other cat, and it's good stuff. I think maps 1, 2, and 4 could be a bit harder (seeing as they're pretty short), and Boo's map could use less pills, but other than that I think it's really well done and original. All the bugs have pretty much been pointed out so far, so I'll just offer praise.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:28 am

Ok ok, I'm updating our to do list (new stuff has been reported)

- nav Error: People complain about that nav issue, but that's the main problem we know we have to fix
--> I'm still working on finding out what's wrong. I think Nipper is also working on this too. This is our main problem

- Rescue closet on The Wake: People want a rescue closet on the final map for in case you die before the finale is triggered.
--> Nipper's descision to make

- Wrong saferoom spawn: People who die at the end of Moria spawn in the Jungle Ruins' ending saferoom.
--> This is totally completely bizarre. My guess is it has something to do with the landmarks but that's just a wild guess. I dunno if it's a problem that occurs on all maps. I'll have to test that out with other humans

- Jungle Ruins difficulty: People say it's a bit too easy compared to Moria.
--> This is probably mainly because you have enough peelz to even out-drug Amy Whorehouse and Pete Doherstink together. I've also added some triggers on certain areas that will spawn 4-5 common infected out of sight on those areas that are usually poorly populated with common infected. Nothing crazy though: no forced tank or super-horde spawns. The idea is that this map needs to be a bit calmer after the intensity and awesomeness of Moria. I also don't think my map needs a crescendo event, but if need be, I already have the setup for one. I can easily make it happen. I don't think it's necessary though.

- No sound: Many people hear no sounds while others do. probably need to rebuild soundcache
--> I'm confused about this. Do we just have to rebuild the soundcache ourselves on each mlap and the problems's fixed or what?

- Hints for crescendo's: We should add those triangle things that grab the player's attention. Most people didn't realize you had to use the book on Moria or use the clock on the finale. I found a tutorial that explains how to make custom ones. I'll try and figure it out and let you know.
--> Nipper seems to be working on that too. Worst case scenario, we use my shitty sprites and kill them once the crescendo/finale is activated. We'd need one for the crescendo by the Haunt's graveyard, one by the Book on Moria and one for the clock on the finale.

- Excessive items on the Ruins: My map has too many peelz and items
--> Fixed already for the next release

- people want items on Moria: Moria defenitely needs at least a molotov or pipe to survive till after the big hall. Some people are smart enough to keep any molotov they find on the other maps till Moria though
--> if you're smart, you'll keep one molotov you find in an earlier map, but wether one should be added to Moria itself is not up to me :)

- Glowing button on map 1: The button to open the front door on the Blockade's mansion doesn't glow
--> It's pretty obvious you have to use that button but this is also up to Nipper wether he wants to make it glow or not. Not a showstopping problem IMO

- People like intros. I've also seen other people make these for their campaigns so I'm sure that if I make a thread on l4dmods asking how to make it, people will help
--> I haven't looked into it further yet. I'd rather concentrate on the main issues first (nav errors and saferoom bug). I did already give the wav of the military broadcast of '28 Days Later' to Nipper. He's of course free to use or not to use it.

- Detail of The Blockade: People want more detail on the Blockade, but we already knew that
--> Nipper said from the beginning he was planning to do this.

- People don't understand the story... but it's not like they care. Maybe we should add some poster or something somewhere on the first map hinting what is about to happen (you "fall asleep" and have vivid nightmares). I like the name Night Terror. Using 'Nightmare' is so cliché.
--> Is this even important? I dunno. Maybe joe's idea is interesting (making some kind of "go to sleep" event etc)

- Two small on haunts. It's really minor and probably only 30 seconds of work. I'll post a screenshot tonight when I get home.
--> Showed it to Nipper. The infected ladder on a breakable thing might be doable as Nipper said a bit earlier but is not that important.

- Infected ladder on fence on Blockade: There should be an infected ladder on the other side of the fence at the very start of The Blockade. Not the fence behind you when you start, but the one a little further in front of you. I've had SI spawn behind several times without being able to reach you
--> Is also Nipper's descision to make

- Numbers for each map on txt file: Now it simply says the name. Mabe adding 1: The Blockade, 2: The Haunted Mansion, etc would be a nice touch.
--> Is just polishing work. Can be quickly done.

- Blockade broadcast wav: An idea to make people understand where they are on The Blockade maybe is to play that radio broadcast from the military at the beginning of the campaign. It would add to the intro. You know, that tape that says "we have the solution, we are armed, yada yada yada". I have the movie on .avi I'm sure I can extract that clip if you want it.
--> See a few points earlier. I already gave the clip to Nipper.
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:24 pm

I just played this on a server with no reloading, infinite ammo, infinite health and infinite zombies. It was really stupid but still sort of fun. Here are some screens

It also let you play as infected which was pretty cool.