Night Terror - A j2 l4d campaign - beta 1 and beyond

Like such as the NIPPER
Dr.Boo

Re: Night Terror - A j2 l4d campaign - beta 1 and beyond

Post by Dr.Boo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:34 am

I made some changes.
- Amount of peelz is reduced to a grand maximum of 3 bottles on the whole map. And I removed the peelz spawns who were too obviously right under your nose on the path. You'll have to look around for them a bit. There are also no medkits anywhere on the map except in the safehouses.
- Removed the T2 weapons somewhere in the middle of the map. You get T2 weapons in the safehouse anyway. If you die, you'll have to finish the map with your T1 weapon. You'll also have to be more careful with your ammo more since the removal of said T2 weapons also removes the ability to grab a full ammo gun.
- Added credits for Shiroko + link to his site for the Jungle models he allowed me to use.
- One of the tremor detectors (those things that go off when you shoot them) will be triggered no matter what you do. Kinda like the crows on Blood Harvest 4. People complained that my map lacked these tense moments. It's not a hard horde like in the big hall of Moria though. Its smaller.
- The rescue closet doors now do a stone-grinding sound when they open... but I don't know how to make them do that sound when closing.
- Max 2 molotovs and 1 Pipe on the whole map.
- The thing where you spawn in the ending safehouse at map start if you died on Moria is fixed. I think. I haven't actually tested it since I need human players for that.

I replayed my map on Advanced with bots, and I got incapped once and so did two other bots. We used all our medpacks and had no more peelz when arriving at the end. All bots were still in the green (but barely), I had 1hp left. So it's still much easier than Moria, but harder than the walk in the park the previous version was.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:51 am

Nipper, maybe this piece of info is useful for Haunts (if you still get nav errors on it)
for co-op you need 1 room marked as rescue closet. 1 need to be near the end of the level doesnt need to be anywhere visible just that its there and have 4 survivor entities placed within it.
It makes sense since you do have rescue closets but they seem not to work: I had someone die very close to the starting saferoom (in the cellar actually) because of a Tank but he never respawned in a closet.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:03 am

it was just a simple nav error, the closet is there but there was no area in the doorway connecting it. nav_generate tends to do that sometimes. I fixed the nav errors for haunts and moria a few days ago.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:05 am

NIPPER wrote:it was just a simple nav error, the closet is there but there was no area in the doorway connecting it. nav_generate tends to do that sometimes. I fixed the nav errors for haunts and moria a few days ago.
So those nav errors after dying are both gone now? Awesome!
The only remaining things are, I suppose, those things that indicate what you have to do to proceed ("Use the Clock to wake up") and some detail to the first map?

Also, I'll give you a link to the b2 of jungle ruins soon (today or tomorrow). But before releasing that to the public, I really want to test that survivors spawning in ending saferoom stuff with some j2 people. So once we have the beta2 vpk ready... can we please test that before releasing it to the public? It was really an important issue and I want it gone for sure before releasing any new version. And we'll have to test it a couple of times because sometimes it simply doesn't happen, even if you were dead when the survivors reached the end of the mines. The phenomenon was random.

Last but not least, I'll be on vacation from the 8th to the 18th of August. If there are any urgent things that need fixage in my map, try to tell me before the 8th so I can fix it and give you the fixed version before leaving.

IMPORTANT:
I gave the b2 version from Jungle Ruins to Nipper. If you guys want to test out that spawning in the ending safehouse bug in my absence, test it several times in a row because sometimes you will spawn correctly even if you died in Moria. It's totally random.
However, be careful: if you all spawn correctly at the start of Jungle Ruins and you want to test it again, do not simply suicide in Jungle Ruins itself and let the map restart. Doing this will make the AI Dir respawn you all like the first time and if the first time it was all correct, you will all respawn correctly.
So here is what you do:
- Let everyone but one player die in Moria and finish the map
- If you all spawn correctly in the Jungle Ruins, QUIT the game
- Remake a lobby, start the game in Moria
- Make it to the end of the map (with noclip if you want to go faster)
- Let all but one die
- End the map and see if you all spawn correctly again.
- Do this a couple of times

I know it's boring and annoying to do but it's the only way to properly test it and make sure the bug's gone. You don't have to test it in my absence though :) It can wait till I'm back.
Please don't release the beta2 if that bug is still present. It's really a very annoying and showstopping bug so I want i tout for beta2
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:22 am

Are you guys hearing the sounds? Did you actually install (extract) the vpk, or just leave the vpk in the addons folder as is?

I ask because I'm getting stuff like:
S_StartSound: Failed to load sound 'nippersounds\nmhm_houl.wav', file probably missing from disk/repository
S_StartSound: Failed to load sound 'nippersounds\nmhm_foyer.wav', file probably missing from disk/repository
S_StartSound: Failed to load sound 'nippersounds\nmhm_load.wav', file probably missing from disk/repository
S_StartSound: Failed to load sound 'nippersounds\nmhm_piano.wav', file probably missing from disk/repository
S_StartSound: Failed to load sound 'nippersounds\nmhm_seance.wav', file probably missing from disk/repository
S_StartSound: Failed to load sound 'nippersounds\nmhm_ballroom.wav', file probably missing from disk/repository
S_StartSound: Failed to load sound 'nippersounds\nmhm_attic.wav', file probably missing from disk/repository
S_StartSound: Failed to load sound 'nippersounds\nmhm_graveyard1.wav', file probably missing from disk/repository
S_StartSound: Failed to load sound 'nippersounds\nmhm_exit1.wav', file probably missing from disk/repository
S_StartSound: Failed to load sound 'nippersounds\nmhm_graveyard2.wav', file probably missing from disk/repository
S_StartSound: Failed to load sound 'nippersounds\nmh_oooo.wav', file probably missing from disk/repository
S_StartSound: Failed to load sound 'nippersounds\nmh_feet.wav', file probably missing from disk/repository
S_StartSound: Failed to load sound 'nippersounds\nmhm_exitlaugh.wav', file probably missing from disk/repository
Edit: I'm not the only one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkCimmg11lA
Edit2: snd_rebuildaudiocache seemed to fix it? But that's not a practical solution...try embedding the sounds into the bsp?
STEAM_0:0:2611885
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:55 am

I embedded my sounds in the BSP but people have reported non-working soundscapes as well, while others hear it perfectly fine. Rebuilding the sound cache on the bsp itself before releasing it might help, but I'm not sure.
Note: my map won't give you the "missing wav in repository" error because 99% of the sounds are played through soundscapes, which will not give that error even if the sounds don't play.

Nipper, an idea I had when having a nightmare about Moria last night, might be to make it look more dusty by making the fog a bit thicker and give it a certain dusty color. It might give it an "older" and more abandoned look.
I don't know how it would play out in game though but it might be fairly easy to test out.
Just a suggestion. The map looks great now already.

I'm thinking about adding a boulder trap or any other aztec trap somewhere in the Jungle Ruins. You know... some kind of boulder you have to dodge or it incapacitates you. Similar to a car punched by a Tank or to that world globe in the DA airport or spikes that come out of the walls or something. Something that might impress the players. But I'm not sure if it's a good idea...
What would you guys think? Should I add an aztec trap somewhere? If so, what would you suggest?
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:04 pm

In the haunted mansion level, in the area with the stairs going every which way, I jumped over the edge and ended up in the black area below, but couldn't find a way back. :(

Other than that, I found this all to be quite well done and enjoyable.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:10 pm

I need some decent sound editing software (audacity kinda sucks). Preferably a crack for sound forge 9...

And I need to figure out how to get the sounds working without making people do the rebuildcache thing.
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:27 am

NIPPER wrote:I need some decent sound editing software (audacity kinda sucks). Preferably a crack for sound forge 9...

And I need to figure out how to get the sounds working without making people do the rebuildcache thing.
I'll pm you a link for soundforge later.
In the meantime, I think I found a solution for the sound problem! What snd_rebuildaudiocache does is, obviously, rebuild the audio cache ("/left 4 dead/maps/soundcache/_master.cache"). What I tried:

1) back up your old, untouched soundcache (maps/soundcache/_master.cache)
2) start up campaign
3) run snd_rebuildaudiocache in order to replace your _master.cache file with an updated one that includes your campaign's sounds (I would probably try this with ONLY your campaign .vpk in the addons folder, or maybe just your campaign added over a fresh install, in order to avoid adding other unnecessary sounds from other campaigns). You don't have to extract your files, you can do this with solely the vpk in your addons folder.
4) copy this NEW _master.cache file into your project folder (into maps/soundcache of the folder that you're going to build into the vpk)
5) rebuild your VPK
6) restore your original _master.cache file (so you can make sure it's loading the new one from the VPK)

Basically all you're doing is adding in your updated cache file into the vpk, so that its temporarily loaded every time your campaign is played. This doesn't mess with players' existing cache files, nor does it require them to do snd_rebuildaudiocache:

It's worked for me. Obviously, every time you modify your sounds at all (whether add or edit), you'll have to rebuild the audio cache and repack the VPK.
STEAM_0:0:2611885
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:42 am

awesome, thanks ayeyah
(''') SSJ4 Oppen

Post by (''') SSJ4 Oppen » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:19 pm

I first want to say that I love the maps. The only problem I have run into so far is a Nav Error in Moria. It usually occurs after the survivors are overwhelmed.
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:32 pm

So when's b2 going to be released?
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:29 pm

gonna try for next week but no guarantees
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:17 pm

Biggest complaints I'm seeing are no T2 weapons at the start of moria, lack of throwable items throughout the campaign, and no rewards (pipebombs, molotovs, pills, throwables) for exploring.

Things to consider would be to add more explorable locations (make them dark and hard to notice so people will still focus on the main path), and add shit so people will stop bitching about how hard it is.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:27 pm

I think my videocard may be melting so no b2 for a while