<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Re: Night Terror - A j2 l4d campaign - beta 1 and beyond

Post by KoD » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:38 am

Who IS this guy!?
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:24 am

He was nobody...
Django wrote:Why would you want to eat a deer, that animal is dirty.
Gemini Saga

Post by Gemini Saga » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 am

NIPPER wrote:Do we have all the info for making the vpks somewhere? I think i'm just gonna release what we have and write "run snd_rebuildkjafnkjaf" on the loading screen or something.
snd_rebuilaudiocache ins't recommended to use in L4D2. Instead use snd_updateaudiocache, it's much more faster than that one and doesn't seem "to crash" the game.
jazzy

Post by jazzy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:21 pm

it's a valve employee.
The Dude Abides.
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:39 pm

jazzy_ wrote:it's a valve employee.
That's what Mr. Blip said =P

Whoever they are, we're glad they're here to help! :)
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:20 pm

Imanobody wrote:heres a hint <mapname>_level_sounds.txt in maps folder :P It works I tested it.

EDIT The bug seems to be l4d2 not recognizing sounds right away but by adding just an empty text file for the map you can enable all the custom sounds :S
Who are you? You're just coming out of the blue with a workaround.
Thanks. I'll try it out :)
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
Gemini Saga

Post by Gemini Saga » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Imanobody wrote:heres a hint <mapname>_level_sounds.txt in maps folder :P It works I tested it.

EDIT The bug seems to be l4d2 not recognizing sounds right away but by adding just an empty text file for the map you can enable all the custom sounds :S
But these sounds will be cached correctly when you use snd_updateaudiocache?
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:58 pm

snd_updateaudiocache doesn't work

nt02_haunts_level_sounds.txt doesn't work
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Perhaps bspzipping your sounds might make these methods work. Perhaps try it with my map? The sounds are embedded in that one.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:17 am

Here's a bunch of shit to check out I got from the forums:

NT1-1: okay, entered the mansion, found an Axe. That was hovering ABOVE the crated. nice job

NT1-2: The second ladder in the Mansion: the bots STILL have trouble with it. they either stand and look at it, stare off into space, or run in circles and end up warping to you.

NT1-3: ok, both ladders in the mansion are where the bots can get stuck at hooray. considering these are the L4D2 bots, Not big surprise.

NT1-4: first safehouse: the ammopile is through the wall. also, the SMG isnt on the crib and is going through the ground.

NT2-1: When i got to the stretching room ,the bots didnt follow me in, and the room closed without them. bit wtf for me.

Nothing in 3 I could find... beside getting TWO OF EVERY TANK ON EARTH AND A WITCH (which Rochelle startled) at the same time at the last stretch when you need to run to the safehouse. I was the only one that survived, BTW.

NT4-1 the hunter rifle is in the bed slightly (i assume they stay the same).

NT5 ended prematurely when it crashed on me D: Several people have reported a crash on NT05... no idea what causes it.

Jesus spot on NT01:
Im not in game or even playing right now just set it to download, but the spot I'm talking about was in the L4D1 map.

It was right outside that mansion(not haunted mansion) Where you have to hit the button on the door to summon the hordes.

Its a pretty flat open area with some Military trucks- big ones with the raised beds. One might have been a humvee.

Anyway looking towards the door you have to activate, it would be one or both? of the trucks on the right-hand side?

You could just jump up into the back or top of the truck and the bots would stand near the door and all the hordes would target them and no one targets you at all. Maybe a smoker or two once or twice.

Ill jump in there later and try to make sure im not crazy. If I'm not Ill screenie it and send you a PM.
Something you might wanna do something about on NT02. Basically, the door can close even when not everyone is inside it:
One thing though, three people I was playing with went into the stretching room in the mansion on map two. The door shut behind them, leaving me outside. I went around (you can avoid it entirely by going the other way) and all the CI spawned outside and went for me instead of them. I also heard that the bots won't follow you in there
NT03: not clear when you have to run and not camp crescendo events.
You may want to have the Survivors artifically yell stuff as soon as (or just before) they drop into the area where the Tanks and stuff spawn like mad, if it's possible.

Coach's "run" dialogue: yellrun01.wav - yellrun06.wav
Nick's "run" dialogue: yellrun01.wav - yellrun04.wav
Ellis' "run" dialogue: yellrun01.wav - yellrun03.wav
Rochelle's "run" dialogue: yellrun01.wav - yellrun04.wav
He probably means both the Great Hall crescendo where you actually have no idea that it only ends when you cross the hall and get through it's door at the other side. Having the bots yell "run, run run!" might help. Or some grafitti that says "don't stay in the hall! RUN" or something like that.

Some people also say the final part of NT03 with the endless Tanks is not clear. But I think the grafittis before it are clear enough. perhaps here too you can add the "run run run!" yelling though.

More feedback on L4DMaps (lots of these "issues" are not issues IMO but it's up to you to see if you wanna do something about them.

map 01=
the trees in the background (tree cards)are badly cut cant see the top
on left next to wooden barrier a invisible wall (clip)but with nothing visually blocking
abit empty
no noise on door gate event
add some idications /arrows got abit lost
before safe room cant pick up medikit
some floating items melee guns etc

map 02=
ugly gate before event
not enough ammo
need hints on all maps

map 03=
invisible walls (clips)underground with nothing blocking
swamp fever music on hoards
again no hints especially for the traps

map 04=
weird transition from a jungle to a modern bedroom
no hints on screen

map05=
ulgy tree cards
swinging chair would look better with a more natural swing
transition from modern room to forest
tank spawned in wall and died
i found the end abit wierd

People also complain that the crescendo on NT02 doesn't end when you press the button. This is a non-issue IMO. It's just like the tower crescendo on Parish map 2. You turn off the alarm, but the horde still keeps coming for a couple of minutes after that.
The horde does stop on NT02. Just not immediately when you press the button.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:42 am

Dr.Boo wrote:NT1-1: okay, entered the mansion, found an Axe. That was hovering ABOVE the crated. nice job
With the way item placement is, there is no way to tell how something will "land", basically the collision box on the crates are too high. This is the same thing with the guns on the bed.
Dr.Boo wrote:NT1-4: first safehouse: the ammopile is through the wall. also, the SMG isnt on the crib and is going through the ground.
I used the coffee can ammo pile but it overrides it for some reason.

The stretch room, since it's not part of the path anymore, is supposed to be like a trap room. If you are lured in by the tier 2 shotgun then you get the horde. I thought it would make for some funny "OH god let me out of here" moments. :?

moria has the survivors yell "run" or "haul ass" or whatever but if the survivor it picks to say it is dead nothing happens.

I will probably change the way the doombuggy thing works and just make it timed how long the buggy stops and get rid of the button.

also, got a link to the forum you're getting this from? (I know some is from the l4dmaps comments)
Gemini Saga

Post by Gemini Saga » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi people,

I discovered one way to distribute your campaign doing custom sounds work for players. Extract it from vpk to addons folder using GCFScape and rename root folder to something like NightTerror. Then you will have "addons\NightTerror\sound", "addons\NightTerror\maps", "addons\NightTerror\addoninfo.txt", etc. Then copy a sound.cache file to "addons\NightTerror\sound" folder (from "left4dead2\sound" for example) and request players to run snd_rebuildaudiocache command (It's in campaign poster anyway). It will work like a any other addon, showing in extras->addons menu. Now custom sounds work.

With this procedure you can make a single rar file with a readme file instructing users about to extract it to L4D2 addons folder. L4dmaps today allows to upload files in rar format.

Thanks for nice campaign!
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:02 pm

ehhhhhh I think I'd rather just wait for a solution that doesn't require the player to do any commands. thanks though

and development has been put on hold until I beat Mass Effect :sunny:
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:56 pm

There is also this bug where the finale would mostly crash after the first Tank or when the "rescue vehicle" arrives.
But to ,be honest, I don't have the slightest idea what causes this :(
I got the comments from the thread I made on the Steam Forums:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1296396