PL_Getty -- Everyone please get involved!!

Like such as the NIPPER
stabbyclaus

PL_Getty -- Everyone please get involved!!

Post by stabbyclaus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:28 am

So this is my newest mapping venture!

The Getty Center in Los Angeles, CA. Yes, the entire museum will be showcased for this map. The far left circular building & upper-right area will be skybox, but I've already got a good number of it layed out already. Check out what I got so far below compared to the originals:

(yes I plan on putting in a falling pyro sculpture right there too)

(more pictures coming soon..)

I hope to get more people on board for this massive project so please, anyone who wants to take time to detail this map I'd love your contribution. A truely collaborative J2 map is what I hope for (not just fufu, yatta & I fucking around till it works lol.) Here is everything I've got for the map.

Layout & Game Design:

The idea came to me because I feel the huge block design would translate very well. The game itself is payload to take can active tour around the whole building. Spawns are layered throughout the buildings along the track, but notice that the payload path splits. This will be where Blu team (attacking) can hit a button to switch the track from Ending 1 to Ending 2 & vice versa. The next game round will be whatever path is chosen. I have never done this before, but should be simple with a couple triggers & an alternative path_track entity.

Start:
Blu team starts down the path of the Getty Tram that is down the hill from the Getty Center, traversing upward towards the entrance. Mostly woods & brush, a highway in the skybox valley. The payload follows the path of the tram, which is shown here:

Path 1: The Gardens
If Blu decides to go to the Western wing of the Getty, then they'll have to go through the zig zags of the Getty Gardens. There are many unique plants & trees here so I imagine some modelers will have to make us some pretty plants. There are also recognizable metal sculptures everywhere, but we'll only need a select few. Here are some photos of this area:

Path 2: The Museum
If Blu take the path into the building, they will be guided through the primary building & the court outside to follow a long straight fountain. A more straight, but longer route than Path 1, but is also a lot easier to defend. It ends in the cactus skywalk garden, but they will kill you quick if you aren't careful. Pictures below:

Textures:
This is the only thing I can find for the giant stone blocks that make up most of the Getty. Sometime this month, my photography friend Vince & I will go to take some super nice texture & additional reference pictures. I'll be sure to announce when I'm going to give you all some time to tell me what you all need for references.

To get your references now, open (or download) Google Earth & put in the following corrodinates:
34° 4'37.49"N, 118°28'28.85"W
This will take directly to the Getty, make sure to turn on pictures & videos. Turn on 3D buildings to get a very real idea of what the place looks like, but keep in mind they will be greyed out blocks only.

THE PLAN
So how will this all get done? I will be finishing the initial VMF called getty_a1 that'll be a working version of the map in alpha form. No custom textures, no custom anything really. We'll consider this the backbone & reference back it whenever necessary. Everyone who is involved will be assigned an area to detail based on what they want to do. If you want in on the project, email me at stabbyclaus@gmail.com with your skill & I'll send you what you need for it. What we need now are people modelers & map creators. Most of the actual game mechanics have been worked out.

Happy mapping everyone! By the end of this I do plan on showing this to the head curator there who one of my old teachers is good friends with!
Rat-morningstar wrote:dude, this might be shocking, but the night sky isn't a piece of cloth with holes in it
Scraw wrote:This. People think good sex just spontaneously happens like scripted events in a single player CoD mission.
In reality, the best sex results from good communication and planning; like a Rainbow 6 mission.
AMMO

Re: PL_Getty -- Everyone please get involved!!

Post by AMMO » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:05 am

good luck
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:08 pm

man i hate the gettys
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:15 pm

good luck
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:52 pm

good luck! sounds like an awesome idea!
stabbyclaus

Post by stabbyclaus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:56 pm

yup bunch of oil company douches but I love their museum.
Rat-morningstar wrote:dude, this might be shocking, but the night sky isn't a piece of cloth with holes in it
Scraw wrote:This. People think good sex just spontaneously happens like scripted events in a single player CoD mission.
In reality, the best sex results from good communication and planning; like a Rainbow 6 mission.
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:56 pm

That looks like a very ambitious project, and you've already got some pretty good maps set up
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
stabbyclaus

Post by stabbyclaus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:56 pm

one days work done.

Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:00 pm

very nice, you seem to have a weird mapping style(2nd picture) or is that more of a test or something.

Or that part just isnt finished :P
stabbyclaus

Post by stabbyclaus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:16 pm

for this map Im building structures as large solid brushes that are then cut down carefully. That zigzag will eventually be the shallow pathway in the hillside that takes you down to the circular garden. since this map is so massive, Im doing this very simply at first before I hand things off to whoever wants to do some detail.
Yatta!
Oh deer

Post by Yatta! » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:43 pm

If you need any textures/any textures TF2ized, just say!! :D
stabbyclaus

Post by stabbyclaus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:11 pm

on my first post I post a wall picture, could you make a nice repeatable texture out of that yatta??
Pocatello

Post by Pocatello » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 am

love it!

what a fantastic awesome idea!
-----------
TF2 name: Durka Durka Durka
-----------
Avvatar wrote:I know who you're talking about, Adam. But also cannot remember his name for the life of me. I want to say Pocatello but I'm nearly positive that's me misspelling the name of some other admin with poor grammar.
Parasyte wrote:I'm satisfying myself right now just thinking about Avanti.
Yatta!
Oh deer

Post by Yatta! » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:31 am

Sure thing, stabby!
stabbyclaus

Post by stabbyclaus » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:24 am

thanks yatta! only worry about the lighter squares, the darker upper right hand corner box isnt needed