A generic forest for L4D(2)

Like such as the NIPPER
Dr.Boo

A generic forest for L4D(2)

Post by Dr.Boo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:04 pm

I've been working on some map since the first version of my map for Night Terror (L4D2 version) is ready and sent to Nipper and I wanted something to work on in the meanwhile :)
I have no idea what I'm gonna use this thing on. Maybe as a part of another campaign we make (Night Terror II perhaps?) or maybe for a creepy campaign or whatever but I wanted to make a foggy/eerie forest. Here are some screenshots. it's nothing really special though: just some generic forest that I'm gonna use some day in a future project.

But I thought I'd share some screens with you guys.

http://img688.imageshack.us/i/l4dfear01woods20004.jpg/
http://img710.imageshack.us/i/l4dfear01woods20003.jpg/
http://img511.imageshack.us/i/l4dfear01woods20002.jpg/

Yes I know the screenshots were taken in L4D1, but I can use this piece of map for L4D2 as well. I just don't know in what project yet :)
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
AMMO

Re: A generic forest for L4D(2)

Post by AMMO » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:17 pm

It's good but it looks like every other forest in l4d.
mikeyca

Post by mikeyca » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:05 pm

Really nice job with the lighting, fog and blend. Yes it looks like every other forest, but I've found it very difficult to use the fog as successfully as you have. Would you mind sharing your sun, light and fog settings?
Troy McClure
STEAM_0:0:16499203
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:11 am

AMMO wrote:It's good but it looks like every other forest in l4d.
Yeah I know. I'm still trying to find something to make my forest feel different from the L4D ones. The thicker fog helps a bit, but I'd need to do something else. it can be really simple...
For example, I remember the Hang Castle levels from Sonic Heroes had trees with purple leaves. I was thinking about making the pine trees look purplish by reskinning them and give the forest a more "fantasy" look but I don't know how people would react to it.
Anyone has other suggestions?

I'm not really trying to make a realistic forest as I'm probably gonna use this for either a Night Terror II campaign or a creepy/haunted campaign or even an abstract campaign.
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:40 am

One of the defining points of a good forest, imo, is not how dense the trees are, but how dense the forest floor is. So a good way to make the forest feel "thicker" is to add more bushes, shrubbery, and low foliage. It helps eliminate that feeling that these are just isolated trees on a giant flat brush.

This can work to your advantage by helping you define where paths and trails are (less vs. more low foliage). I think Blood Harvest (and in some ways, the L4D2 swamp campaign) did this very well, in the sense that it partially defined the paths not just by the trees, but by putting up tall bushes and ferns where you were NOT supposed to go. A good example of this is de_forest for CS:S (http://www.lanmaniax.com/maps/html/de_forest.html)

In summary: throw in a shitton of ferns and bushes along with trees!
STEAM_0:0:2611885
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:01 pm

ayeyah wrote:One of the defining points of a good forest, imo, is not how dense the trees are, but how dense the forest floor is. So a good way to make the forest feel "thicker" is to add more bushes, shrubbery, and low foliage. It helps eliminate that feeling that these are just isolated trees on a giant flat brush.
In summary: throw in a shitton of ferns and bushes along with trees!
That's true. Especially now that there are lots of new props with L4D2.
Dr.Boo

n

Post by Dr.Boo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:25 pm

I "updated" the forest a bit to make it more eerie and give it some sort of unnatural feeling because of the somewhat bizarre fog color.
The only thing I need, is a bunch of scaled down trees that I can put in the 3D skybox. There is only one Valve stock model that is made for the skybox. I know CS:S has a cluster of spooky trees, but they really look like shit when you get up close.

Anyways, let me know what you think. The more opinions I get, the better. Here's a "slide show".
I do have to tweak the light_environement. Because now it's really too dark.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:30 pm

That moon's got a problem.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Chief Cheese

Post by Chief Cheese » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:31 pm

That's no moon.
i <3 cheese. cheese <3 evry1. u= an every1. thus, by transitive property i <3 u
Chief Cheese the amazing wrote:
Neelpos wrote:I eat pig fetuses. Like the kind they dissect in biology classes. Formaldehyde and all. After I have sex with them of course. Also, I loved George Bush and donate all my money to Family Radio.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Eviltechie wrote:That moon's got a problem.
What problem would that be?
Chief Cheese

Post by Chief Cheese » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:45 pm

It's a space station.
i <3 cheese. cheese <3 evry1. u= an every1. thus, by transitive property i <3 u
Chief Cheese the amazing wrote:
Neelpos wrote:I eat pig fetuses. Like the kind they dissect in biology classes. Formaldehyde and all. After I have sex with them of course. Also, I loved George Bush and donate all my money to Family Radio.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Dr.Boo wrote:
Eviltechie wrote:That moon's got a problem.
What problem would that be?
It's got a face. And it's smiling.

20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:47 am

The last screenshot is sexy! The fact that the trees are so tall (even if they're on cliffs and whatnot) really makes you feel small and lost. The swamp trees are odd, though I kind of like em; gives a wasteland feeling.

One potential problem is that because the space seems so open, with very few bright objects or areas such as handlamps, players can easily deviate off the main path and get lost. Of course, this might be intentional as well.

And the smiley moon could be more subtle =p
STEAM_0:0:2611885
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:59 am

Yeah but it's fairly obvious what path you have to take. Usually you have to follow a road or follow the lights. As I said, ligting needs to be tweaked and I plan to add lights to add more contract to the dark/lighten up areas.