[CS 1.6] Hammer's Pointfile pierces my map's rooms

Like such as the NIPPER
Stone12

[CS 1.6] Hammer's Pointfile pierces my map's rooms

Post by Stone12 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi, after spending many hours on my map, I finally finished it, but to my dismay it has a few leaks. I checked MANY times over: there are no "open space gaps". Instead, the pointfile is actually cutting through my walls! I read on a wiki that this was caused by "translucent geometry". Here are a few screenshots of the pointfile:

I've already tried the last resort and feared option of putting the map in a box. Yes, that fixed the leaks, but also I hit the MAX_PATCHES. I really hate how the pointfiles are just stabbing the map through the walls...I want an actual OPENING! Can someone shed some light on this?
ayeyah

Re: [CS 1.6] Hammer's Pointfile pierces my map's rooms

Post by ayeyah » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:10 pm

Check to see if one of your hull brushes is actually a brush entity. Your map has to be sealed purely with world brushes for it to compile.
STEAM_0:0:2611885
Stone12

Post by Stone12 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:26 pm

So just creating blocks won't seal the map? I have to convert them all to entities?
reaper4172

Post by reaper4172 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:00 pm

Looks very poorly made. If you place a solid on the ground it will cut through the map. It appears you cut a wall with a cylinder primitive that was quite the mistake.

GOD no do not make them all entities. Read this tutorial this is probably half you problem.

http://www.cryotank.net/maps/tutorials/rspeeds2.html
<1.6 mapper>
reaper
Stone12

Post by Stone12 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:32 pm

Thanks for the link, but the only item I saw there that was relevant to my issue was the face splitting. I don't understand how that is related to leaks through the map. What I'm trying to figure out is why the pointfile line is going through my wall.

Also, are the red/blue/purple lines supposed to be INSIDE the map rather than outside it?
func_?

Post by func_? » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:52 am

There was something about a box method, but I forgot the link. Basically, you insert a large solid brush around half of your map, then compile it to see if the leak is gone. If it is, just decrease the size of the brush until you find the leak.

But then again, seeing your map as it is, I would suggest you to just re-make it (I know it sucks, but that's not how you learn to map). Make small maps and test out all the entities you want, and only then should you start mapping bigger ones.
-War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left.
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:24 pm

That's the divide and conquer method.
Anyways, you do NOT want to convert your blocks to entities...in fact, just the opposite if the block forms part of the hull for your map. What I meant is that if it's a block, and it touches the void, it can NOT be an entity.

That's not to say you should go around and remove all your entities, because you might need to convert complex geometry to entities for optimization (you don't want VIS defecating all over you).
STEAM_0:0:2611885
Stone12

Post by Stone12 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:07 am

Actually I managed to fix my map without having to remake it! Someone told me to use the mapname.lin file instead of the mapname.pts file. The .lin file actually pointed to the leak, whereas the .pts file was just random scribbles. Using a copy+paste method from .lin to .pts, I managed to fix the leaks one by one until the map was successfully sealed. But thanks all for your contribution :)