Abstract Map Pack 2010 ?

Like such as the NIPPER
joe
The Big Cheese

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2010 ?

Post by joe » Sun May 30, 2010 1:43 pm

jeez a person isnt allowed to make suggestions around here without getting shit on

forget i said anything
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Sun May 30, 2010 1:59 pm

So who would be interested in participating in another abstract map pack? Say here within the next couple weeks or something..

Should we make it for the classic CS:S
Or should we make a l4d2 one with a clusterfuck of .nav problems and custom sounds etc etc..
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Sun May 30, 2010 2:11 pm

I would prefer to make it for CS:S.
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Sun May 30, 2010 3:18 pm

I could see how an abstract L4D map would be difficult concerning pathing and whatnot for the zombies.
"What isn't remembered never happened. Memory is merely a record. You just need to re-write that record."
"Ummm, if I die... It's gonna be your fault" -Mr.Blip
"J2 I am disappoint."
Gr¦m wrote:dang mangus, is that like 15 inches?
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sun May 30, 2010 4:17 pm

joe wrote:jeez a person isnt allowed to make suggestions around here without getting shit on

forget i said anything
you weren't just making a suggestion though, you were
joe wrote:i just don't like maps that aren't actually playable.
implying that abstract maps aren't playable which is completely false
Optics

Post by Optics » Sun May 30, 2010 4:49 pm

KoD wrote:So who would be interested in participating in another abstract map pack? Say here within the next couple weeks or something..

Should we make it for the classic CS:S
Or should we make a l4d2 one with a clusterfuck of .nav problems and custom sounds etc etc..
Would I be able to help out? I know you guys don't know me but I can map

http://forums.joe.to/viewtopic.php?t=51870
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to

Post by KoD » Sun May 30, 2010 6:52 pm

For these map packs we let anyone try, but to get into the final pack you definitely have to create a professional level map. If you are willing to throw in hundreds of hours into this, then sure, you can join.
I was hoping to have a few of these people participate: Dr. Boo (Night terror, we been talking about something like this except l4d2), HomicidalApe (I been talking to him), Kenny (Been talking to him too), NIPPER (Night terror), AMMO (interested, can start in a couple weeks), and Mr. Blip (he's working on a tf2 map ATM).
It's just not the same without them.
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Sun May 30, 2010 7:02 pm

I'm in, but I dunno exactly what game i'd prefer. I'm sort of in the L4D2 mapping mood lately, and have been working on a map for that game recently, but to make an abstract map for that game would be an interesting challenge for me. However if more people don't want to make maps for L4D2, I suppose I could do one for CS:S. Maybe then i'd just make my own L4D2 abstract map for the fun of it.
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Sun May 30, 2010 7:06 pm

I'd love to make another abstract css map, yes indeed

aaaaand I don't even have lfd2
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to

Post by KoD » Sun May 30, 2010 7:07 pm

So far we have HomicidalApe, Kenny, AMMO, and me down for a CS:S Abstract Map Pack .. oh and kipper?
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sun May 30, 2010 8:07 pm

CSS would be the easiest but I haven't had any interest in CS since 2005...

L4D2 would be a little more difficult. But we don't have to have any wacky panic events and stuff that breaks the nav. If you make a map with the nav flow in mind naving shouldn't be an issue. The only real problem might be transferring the saferooms around so the maps link up.
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Sun May 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Maybe you should post some tips on what to watch out for so that we don't screw up the navs?
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Mon May 31, 2010 2:51 am

I'm not interested in CSS any more. I really never play it. I only play CS 1.6 occasionally but I stopped mapping for that ages ago. And nobody cares about these maps anyways. People prefer dust clone #1282, iceworld duplicate #8759 or SHITTY ORANGE DEV BLOCK MAP #6225.

I'd prefer a L4D2 abstract campaign. I've ran a couple of polls months ago on a few L4D2 forums (including the crazy Steam forums) and everyone seemed to be very positive about such an idea.
I would only have a few requirements to participate:

- If Nipper doesn't participate in it, neither do I. Simply because an abstract pack without Nipper is not the same. It's like... a Doom game without demons or a Red Alert game without Soviets.
- I want to be sure that people who say "I'm in" really ARE in. No more bullshit where people drop out after x weeks. It happened so much in the past. It's annoying as fuck.
- It has to be for L4D2
- Every map needs a certain level of polish. No noobish crapwork. Elitist or not, a campaign with shitty and unpolished maps won't get any attention. I'm not excluding anyone who's new at j2, but I just want to exclude people who go like "Imma make a block here and there, paste some texture over it and call it a map!"

I'm currently working on a small 3 map campaign (I started it because I needed something else to work on besides Night Terror) but I can put that "on hold" if we do this. It's already halfway done anyways.
I'd really love to make another campaign together. Especially with Nipper. Night Terror was the project I had most fun working on. It was just the nav issues that were annoying as fuck. And since it was the first project we did together for L4D, we had to figure out some shit to make it work (like transitioning the saferooms, etc)
But we can avoid that this time. Nipper and I both know what caused the problems and we already discussed how we will NOT do the same mistakes any more :-)

And transferring the saferooms, Nipper, if you want I can help you with that. I'm starting to know a lot about this and you don't have to do that all by yourself.

oh yeah and I absolutely dislike TF2. I uninstalled it and I never plan to play it again. So if it's for that, don't count me in neither.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Mon May 31, 2010 6:26 am

mR.MouseR wrote:building on joe's idea, you could take people's creations and mold them together, or have each person build a part, then combine, etc.
KipperTheDog.j2 wrote:I would love to take part I think...merging peoples room ideas in to one map would be fuckin' sweet. adds variety from more than just one person.
NO, DON'T DO IT. IT DOESN'T WORK.
http://forums.joe.to/viewtopic.php?f=163&t=25821

Do NOT let more than one person put stuff into the same map unless you are entirely sure that they are a) committed to the end, b) know how to map, and c) can optimize. And even then, I guarantee something will still fuck up and result in headaches. Having people do separate maps and lumping them together in a campaign or map pack a la Night Terror or previous packs is far less troublesome. The idea is good, but in practice you will grow gray hairs trying to make it work.

Incidentally, here's the last compile attempted of de_joethree from 2005 (for CS1.6) so you can nostalgia and gawk at wpolys! I'M LOOKING AT YOU HOMICIDALAPE.
http://ayeyah.co.cc/files/de_joethree_a2.zip
STEAM_0:0:2611885
Optics

Post by Optics » Mon May 31, 2010 9:37 am

KoD wrote: .. oh and kipper?
yesyesyesyes :D