My L4D2 campaign is ready for test

Like such as the NIPPER
Dr.Boo

My L4D2 campaign is ready for test

Post by Dr.Boo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:06 am

My campaign is ready for a first test version. This is just a test version mind you so I'm not releasing it to the public yet. I want to see first if there are any game breaking bugs or if some parts are really not enjoyable.
Anyone intrested to test it, here's the link. Just keep it to yourself or some of your friends for the time being.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VYFZHGKE

Again, this is just a test version and not the official first beta yet. I want to make sure that the first version I put on L4DMaps already has been through at least one or two playtests just to eliminate really big problems (and since I made this thing alone, I'm sure I overlooked some stuff)
Also if you think some parts are not enjoyable or boring or if you think some parts are too easy or too hard, please let me know (especially for the crescendo on map 2 I'd like to know if it's hard enough without overdoing it)

Any honest opinions/suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.

Known issues:

- At the end of map 1, there is a ladder going down in a well. Bot survivors seem to have nav problems there as they usually don't follow you. They'll teleport to you or simply fall down and get incapped. I'm trying to fix the problem but I don't really see what causes it

- Beginning of map 2: similar to the previous problem, there is a ladder going up and sometimes one of the bots won't follow you. It will teleport to you eventually though. Also probably a nav problem that I'm working on

- Some props look completely dark even though there is light in the room. They simply don't lit up. I actually have no idea what causes this so if anyone has an idea...

- Missing textures for a fireplace prop in the mansion of map 2. There is something funky going on with that model. I'm investigating this further

- Cars and tree trunks can't be punched by the Tank even if they should. Anyone knows how to make a prop "punchable"?

Things I will add for the "official" release:

- An intro
- An outtro. At this moment, when you reach the rescue vehicle, you will simply get teleported to the saferoom and credits will roll. I'd like to have some camera view of the vehicle leaving.

Oh by the way, not that anyone gives a shit, but I made a steam group for it to announce further versions of the campaign. Nothing fancy though
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/hauntedforest
Last edited by Dr.Boo on Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
AlphaKennyOne

Re: My L4D2 campaign is ready for test

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:12 am

Right away, I can say that the bots not following you down ladders seems to be an issue with the nav points at the top and bottom of the ladders are too far from eachother. I noticed an error that said something to the effect of "these two nav points are more than x-number of units apart". I forgot how I made that appear, but that's what problem I saw in my L4D2 map.

EDIT: I'll edit in my current suggestions instead of double posting. I was only able to play a part of the first map, because the game kept crashing when I reached the same spot. I tried this 3 times, but it crashed in the same spot. My first two suggestions first. They are both minor nitpicking things, so they're not that big.

The pill pickup here dropped undearneath the concrete divider prop, which makes it impossible to get. Try lowering the prop against the ground, and make sure the "enable physics" flag on the item spawner is disabled. That might help.

Another small nitpick, you walk up to the broken rails, and you just suddenly stop and can't proceed, but there's nothing stopping you. Perhaps adding debris of some sort will give the player a reason why they can't go through there, aside from the obvious fact that the rail is broken.

This is the spot where my game crashes every time. As I walk closer to this tunnel, the game just shuts down and I get an "L4D2.exe has stopped responding" error. Is there some sort of trigger right there? I'll skip ahead to the next map later and give it a run through.
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
PaiSand

Post by PaiSand » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:02 pm

Really nice. I want to try it online.

Nice one:

:banana: :banana: :banana:
Looks like what it is. No one care about it, so I leave. Can´t support such things.

Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:57 pm

A bit late, but congrats on getting featured by Valve!
http://www.l4d.com/macupdate/available_now.html
STEAM_0:0:2611885
Cc_Hairy

Post by Cc_Hairy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:00 am

the last bit needs a respawn closet
bin laden wrote:I still think bush is the one that did all the shit
http://activistnews.blogspot.com/