Can someone take care of this for me?

Like such as the NIPPER
pinkle

Can someone take care of this for me?

Post by pinkle » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:23 pm

SDK forever refuses to work for me with TF2 anymore (Yatta tried helping me with it a while back and I've been to various forums for help, no one can help :( ) But this is apparently all packaged and ready to go. It was the first map I ever made, hopefully not the last. It probably sucks, but idk, I'd love to try it out in the server if it still works.

Complimentary youtube walkthrough video: http://www.youtube.com/user/SummerCardi ... Ce80Oigdlo

and the bz2 thingy: http://files.failedmiserably.com/data/k ... el_bsp.bz2

I hope I'm doing this right, I haven't done anything with this in a while and probably won't be mapping for a while longer :( I absolutely LOVED making it though and look forward to doing more in the future.

Be gentle, I really have no idea what I'm doing lol :v

EDIT: Also, if the layout sucks, it's because at first I was like "OH YEAH IM GONNA MAKE THE COOLEST MAP EVAR" to "Okay maybe I'll just focus on making a FUNCTIONING map" olololol
"OK, try to imagine yourself in the J2 Server... You get your first look at this "Pinkle" as you enter a clearing. She moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing her flamethrower. And you keep still because you think that maybe her visual acuity is based on movement like Johnny5 - She'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Pinkle. You stare at her, and she just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the Hippie and Wolsky you didn't even know were there. Because Pinkle's a pack hunter, you see, she uses coordinated attack patterns and she is out in force today. And he slashes at you with this... A barbed-wired-wrapped fire axe, The Axetinguisher, in her left hand. She doesn't bother to headshot you like a Porkbun, say... no no. She lights you and slashes at you here, or here... Or maybe across the belly, critting your intestines. The point is, you are alive when she starts to rape you. So you know, try to show a little respect..." -- 3Ducks
Axis Denied

Re: Can someone take care of this for me?

Post by Axis Denied » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Hey, at least you finish your maps....I have like 6 unfinished maps that a few of you have seen and only 1 of the unfinished ones is on the server....I should get on finishing it... :?

The thing is, I agree - making maps is fun and I never really care if I ever finish them. :P
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:43 pm

From 10 seconds of the video, I've found these 3 glaring problems:
1) You have a leak (chances are, a million of them).
2) Don't use HL2 textures in TF2. It don't look right.
3) It's your first map

Start off small. Don't worry about making a full blown out map. That's generally a bad idea.

Make a small room, compile. Look over your log for anything that looks out of place (***LEAK***, ERROR:, etc.). If you see those, post here about the problem and someone will tell you how to fix it.
Add lighting, compile, test.
Make another room, and connect the two with a hallway. Compile again, look for errors, leaks, etc.

Don't use the hollow command. It's bad. It creates brushes in THE WORST possible way. Use carve sparingly, and only when you're dealing with a four sided objects. Don't touch vertex manipulation until you understand how brushes work. Don't touch displacements until you know both how they work, and how the map compiles things such as geometry and lighting.

Your first map is shit and it has no place anywhere, but that applies for everyone. Practice making small little rooms that compile without any errors at all, add entities a little bit at a time, and go from there. Diving in head first generally isn't a smart thing to do, especially when the thing your diving into is mostly solid brick.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
pinkle

Post by pinkle » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:31 pm

Thanks for the tips, Blip. :) I'll have to keep all that in mind whenever I may map again haha.
"OK, try to imagine yourself in the J2 Server... You get your first look at this "Pinkle" as you enter a clearing. She moves like a bird, lightly, bobbing her flamethrower. And you keep still because you think that maybe her visual acuity is based on movement like Johnny5 - She'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Pinkle. You stare at her, and she just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side, from the Hippie and Wolsky you didn't even know were there. Because Pinkle's a pack hunter, you see, she uses coordinated attack patterns and she is out in force today. And he slashes at you with this... A barbed-wired-wrapped fire axe, The Axetinguisher, in her left hand. She doesn't bother to headshot you like a Porkbun, say... no no. She lights you and slashes at you here, or here... Or maybe across the belly, critting your intestines. The point is, you are alive when she starts to rape you. So you know, try to show a little respect..." -- 3Ducks
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:38 pm

Once again Mrblip passes down his wisdom...
Let's have a drink to celebrate!
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:48 pm

i remember why mrblip is such a valued member of the community
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:08 am

\o/
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
NightFantom
fuck you i'm a dragon
<font color=#800000>fuck you i'm a dragon</font>

Post by NightFantom » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:41 am

my first map was a box with 2 control points xD
that seems like a huge amount of work for no good reason - joe
or, you know, sarcasm - Neelpos
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:02 pm

I made a map once
NEVER AGAIN
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:26 pm

First real map I made.... co_uboat_asno. Knowing how bad carving was, I was lazy enough to take a 12 sided cylinder, and carve it with a standard rectangular prism down the middle. Then to get out of the boat I cut another hole in the floor by carving. Man that geometry was SHATTERED. Map was goofy fun though.
prolix

Post by prolix » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:34 pm

this reminds me i need to actually finish my map

i'll check this one out when i'm back from work