New 3ds to Source Model Compiling

Like such as the NIPPER
shawnolson

New 3ds to Source Model Compiling

Post by shawnolson » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:17 am

I'm not sure how many furry creatures I hurt while making it, but I finally got out a tool to make models for Source faster: The Wall Worm Model Tools. http://wallworm.com/projects/utilities/docs/

What the tool does: Allows you to send a model into Source in a few minutes instead of a lot longer. It can also help your sex life (seriously, check out the FAQs in the docs!)

I figured I'd share this here since I have actually enjoyed Nippers maps for quite some time. That and I'm assuming there may be at least one person here who makes models in 3ds Max for Source. Or not...

Here is a long-winded demonstration of the tool in action (this is from a few versions back and could easily have been cut to 30 seconds... but you get the point).

Shawn Olson
That dude who made the Wall Worm Model Tools
Also the person who allegedly took a bath.
shawnolson

Re: New 3ds to Source Model Compiling

Post by shawnolson » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:02 am

Not a single modeler here? I've really got a kick out of reading some of the threads in this forum... but I really expected that someone here would like this! Even if just to act like it is the most awesome thing since deodorant was invented!
Shawn Olson
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:03 am

No we got modelers here (Hi)
Just curious if is this ONLY for 3DS? Because I have Maya.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
shawnolson

Post by shawnolson » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:08 am

Neelpos wrote:No we got modelers here (Hi)
Just curious if is this ONLY for 3DS? Because I have Maya.
That was fast!

No... actually... just 3ds Max. Over at Interlopers and Polycount that is a common question... I left the source code unencoded if someone that does Melscript wants to port it though.

I guess the real question is why Valve never offered up something like this? Why make it so hard to get custom assets into the game? It took me a couple months starting from knowing nothing at all about MAXScript... so you'd think they would have had people who could have put it together in a few days...

Anyway... maybe you will just have to pick up Max now! :)
Shawn Olson
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:33 am

Think I'll just stick with Maya for now thanks.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
shawnolson

Post by shawnolson » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:58 am

Neelpos wrote:Think I'll just stick with Maya for now thanks.
I figured you might say that. C'mon man... it's only a few thousand dollars! :P

But seriously... you know that the Mayans were all abducted by aliens... I'd be worried to wake up one day with a note in front of the computer:
Myes... Just wanted to say thanks for all the good times. But i've got some polygons to chase. Anyway, thanks for all the clicks.

Maya
Just want to prepare you for the worst!

:)
Shawn Olson
Base

Post by Base » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:40 pm

I use 3DSmax for exporting my shit to source currently. This might come in handy! Can it do multiple textures, like team color swaps? And can it export animations easily? I've had issues with the animation process for source lately.
Yatta! wrote: *Probability of not fucking up the engine is correlated to the chance of M&Ms being in an M&M cookie, which are really fucking delicious, mind you.
http://gamepsyche.wordpress.com/ <--My blog.

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER
shawnolson

Post by shawnolson » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:50 am

Base wrote:I use 3DSmax for exporting my shit to source currently. This might come in handy! Can it do multiple textures, like team color swaps? And can it export animations easily? I've had issues with the animation process for source lately.
Animations is easy. Multiple textures is not built in but easy ... but I haven't documented it.
Shawn Olson
shawnolson

Post by shawnolson » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:01 am

Base wrote:I use 3DSmax for exporting my shit to source currently. This might come in handy! Can it do multiple textures, like team color swaps? And can it export animations easily? I've had issues with the animation process for source lately.
PS... I see you are a fellow Sagan fan... unfortunately I am hamammered and cannot give you bonus points at the moment!
Shawn Olson
Base

Post by Base » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Awesome man. I'll keep track of this. I'm sure I'll be using it soon (got a few things to test out in game :D) so keep us updated.

Just curious, could you build in a streamlined process for editing TF2 models and animations and such? Looks like it's currently more for just getting props and such into CSS/GMOD, and I'd get a lot more use out of it if it helped me plug in tf2 data. Either way, this is cool stuff.
Yatta! wrote: *Probability of not fucking up the engine is correlated to the chance of M&Ms being in an M&M cookie, which are really fucking delicious, mind you.
http://gamepsyche.wordpress.com/ <--My blog.

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER
shawnolson

Post by shawnolson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:08 am

Base wrote:Just curious, could you build in a streamlined process for editing TF2 models and animations and such? Looks like it's currently more for just getting props and such into CSS/GMOD, and I'd get a lot more use out of it if it helped me plug in tf2 data. Either way, this is cool stuff.
It handles animations--has a rollout for making sequences (and exporting them all in one pass with the rest of the model, LODs, and collision model).

If there are things that you need to add, you can just run the exporter but set it to not autocompile... but to open the QC folder upon export. There you can add more advanced features and run the BATCH file to compile that is in the same folder as the QC.

In a future version, I may add a generic text field for editing in Max those properties the tool doesn't control... but I'm not sure yet.
Shawn Olson
shawnolson

Post by shawnolson » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:28 pm

I updated the tool today with some minor bug fixes and a new feature: LOD Camera.

Shawn Olson
shawnolson

Post by shawnolson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:38 am

Updated to include support for Attachments. Added function to put launcher in Max UI. Other various chaneges in changelog.
Shawn Olson
shawnolson

Post by shawnolson » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:59 pm

It's been a really long time since I've visited here. I wanted to share various updates with ya'll.

WWMT has grown a lot in functionality since the last post... as well as has expanded into VMF exporting, displacements, etc.

A short, incomplete list of new thingies you can play with:
Etc, etc.

What this really means is that you can build really cool crates that can talk.

Also, for those of you with nothing better to do, here is the world's greatest one-year anniversary edition of the WWMT. Siskel and Ebert Gave it WTF!

Shawn Olson
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:13 pm

Awesome dude, I'll have to take a look into this. I'm glad you bumped the thread because I use 3ds max.