Map Making Assistence Please

Like such as the NIPPER
Axis Denied

Re: Map Making Assistence Please

Post by Axis Denied » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:38 pm

Prolix wrote:
Yatta! wrote:Stickbeast: Regarding the glass-water issue, I have a fix. Kinda. There was a CP underwater base map- do you remember the name of it? Iirc, what they did was use a special refractive glass texture (easy to make) looking outside into the skybox. The skybox had a thick fog setting.

cp_aqua i think would be that
cp_photic, I believe. Don't recall cp_aqua having anything special.

Also, I copy and paste all the time and and never ran into problems.
prolix

Post by prolix » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:32 am

oh yeah i forgot all about that map good call
ehlohel
that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit
<b><i>that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit</i></b>

Post by ehlohel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:17 pm

stickbeast wrote:Thanks for the help guys, I decided to just start over trying to keep my numbers tidy and stuff.

Before I was making two bases at the same time, and thought it was needlessly time consuming, when I could just copy & paste one base and rotate it 180 degrees. Is there anything wrong with this?
not really, no, but usually it looks 10x better if you handmake them both.
trust me, mapmaking is difficult and taking shortcuts often hurts more than it helps

also a tip on structure, usually it is best to make a large ground floor and progressively smaller floors up, but make it look asymmetrical. balconies, etc.

example:

the next floor doesn't cover up the entire bottom floor, which looks better and can provide a wide range of places for snipers to hide and for their foes to surprise them from.