Converting prop_physics ONLY props to prop_static

Like such as the NIPPER
burnone2

Converting prop_physics ONLY props to prop_static

Post by burnone2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:11 pm

Hello all, such a nice community here. Anyways I'm a big fan of nipper maps, and have spent hours upon hours on crazytank maps and on blahhhh and gahhhhh. I think they really are the best maps out there. But anyways, me and a friend of mine are designing a map for source which is pretty large, and we are importing a lot of props from garrys mod. The problem is, props designed by the gmod community are all only configured for prop_physics in hammer. prop_static doesn't work on these models, and we need to find a way to convert them (as easily as possible) into being prop_static.

We do not want to use prop_physics_override and set to immobile or sleep because we want to make the map as inexpensive as possible and the SDKwiki says that prop_physics_override is no cheaper than prop_physics. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you.

Nick
joe
The Big Cheese

Re: Converting prop_physics ONLY props to prop_static

Post by joe » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:16 pm

nipper only checks these forums maybe twice a week so it will be a couple days before he replies :)
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
burnone2

Post by burnone2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:18 pm

I'd wait a lifetime for the honor.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:49 pm

You could try making the props dynamic override. The dynamic override probably won't give you the same performance as a static, but it's the closest you're going to get.

The only other way is to decompile the models and change the prop data to remove the physics. You'd be better to ask the authors of the models to do that. Additionally, you might want to let the authors know that you're making a map that will be using their work, unless they came with a read me file stating it's alright to use it.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
ehlohel
that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit
<b><i>that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit</i></b>

Post by ehlohel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:53 pm

and even then, it would definitely be a no-no not to credit them in the map somewhere.

or at least wherever you credit yourself.