A couple new 3ds>Source Tools

Like such as the NIPPER
Post Reply
User avatar
shawnolson
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:10 am
Contact:

A couple new 3ds>Source Tools

Post by shawnolson » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:19 pm

Not sure how many people here are using 3ds Max... but I've been working on various tools for Source Asset creation in Max. I've already listed the Wall Worm Model Tools here... now I've got a couple new ones:

Sky Writer: Render HDR skies and compile straight into Source

WW Displacement Tool: Create displacement terrains in 3ds and export to VMF.
Shawn Olson
That dude who made the Wall Worm Model Tools
Also the person who allegedly took a bath.
User avatar
ehlohel
that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit
<b><i>that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit</i></b>
Posts: 836
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: arghhh

Re: A couple new 3ds>Source Tools

Post by ehlohel » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:40 pm

that's really cool, but i have no idea how to model
and im surprised no one else has posted. dammit guys he's new and he made something for you. ingrates.
Image
User avatar
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found
Posts: 11117
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:47 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: A couple new 3ds>Source Tools

Post by Neelpos » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:14 pm

ehlohel wrote:that's really cool, but i have no idea how to model
and im surprised no one else has posted. dammit guys he's new and he made something for you. ingrates.
As one of the few modelers here I don't have 3DS Max, I have Maya.
Meanie.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
User avatar
ehlohel
that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit
<b><i>that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit</i></b>
Posts: 836
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: arghhh

Re: A couple new 3ds>Source Tools

Post by ehlohel » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:49 pm

Neelpos wrote:
ehlohel wrote:that's really cool, but i have no idea how to model
and im surprised no one else has posted. dammit guys he's new and he made something for you. ingrates.
As one of the few modelers here I don't have 3DS Max, I have Maya.
Meanie.
doesn't mean you shouldn't post and say 'that's cool' because it totally is.

and don't call me meanie.
Image
User avatar
shawnolson
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:10 am
Contact:

Re: A couple new 3ds>Source Tools

Post by shawnolson » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:02 pm

The sky writer and displacement tools are actually for map-making more than modeling, actually.

And in the latest version of the VMF exporter of the displacement tool, it will export any (Wall Worm Model Tools) models in the scene as prop entities in the exported VMF.

Anyway, I don't really expect a lot of responses here... just sharing my tools randomly as I make and improve them! :)
Shawn Olson
That dude who made the Wall Worm Model Tools
Also the person who allegedly took a bath.
User avatar
ehlohel
that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit
<b><i>that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit</i></b>
Posts: 836
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: arghhh

Re: A couple new 3ds>Source Tools

Post by ehlohel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:25 pm

well, if they're made in a modelling program such as 3ds max then i cant use it cause i dont have it, nor do i own any knowledge of how to use it.
Image
User avatar
shawnolson
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:10 am
Contact:

Re: A couple new 3ds>Source Tools

Post by shawnolson » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 am

ehlohel wrote:well, if they're made in a modelling program such as 3ds max then i cant use it cause i dont have it, nor do i own any knowledge of how to use it.
Yes... all three are for 3ds Max. But if you ever decide to give it a try... at least you now know there is a good pipeline into Source now.
Shawn Olson
That dude who made the Wall Worm Model Tools
Also the person who allegedly took a bath.
User avatar
ehlohel
that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit
<b><i>that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit</i></b>
Posts: 836
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: arghhh

Re: A couple new 3ds>Source Tools

Post by ehlohel » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:42 pm

shawnolson wrote:
ehlohel wrote:well, if they're made in a modelling program such as 3ds max then i cant use it cause i dont have it, nor do i own any knowledge of how to use it.
Yes... all three are for 3ds Max. But if you ever decide to give it a try... at least you now know there is a good pipeline into Source now.

well, do you know any good tutorials? especially for free programs so i don't have to pirate it
Image
User avatar
shawnolson
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:10 am
Contact:

Re: A couple new 3ds>Source Tools

Post by shawnolson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:44 pm

ehlohel wrote:well, do you know any good tutorials? especially for free programs so i don't have to pirate it
Not really... I know of a large quantity of resources for Max... but Max is obviously not free. The usual suspects for making models with free programs include Blender, XSI and Gmax. Of those, Gmax is the only I am familiar with (because it is a stripped-down version of 3ds Max R4... but it's pretty old now). I'd recommend Blender since it has an active community of open-source developers. XSI used to have some Source-specific plugins but (as far as I know) no longer supports those.

You could also consider looking at Milkshape 3D... which is a very inexpensive program (I think I bought a license for $15 but that was a few years back). Milkshape has enough tools to make models and is really targeted at modeling on the cheap for games.

But in any event... no matter what route you take... getting your model into Source has no easy route (unless using a script like the Wall Worm Model Tools)... and it is one reason so many people give up the idea of modeling for Source.
Shawn Olson
That dude who made the Wall Worm Model Tools
Also the person who allegedly took a bath.
Post Reply