Post by Krylov » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Is there any new css abstract map?

How about Abstract Map Pack 2011?
ehlohel
that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit
<b><i>that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit</i></b>

Re: Any New CSS Abstract Maps 2011?

Post by ehlohel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:32 pm

well, I'm working on one that is close to a first compile. i doubt anyone else will, though. seems like almost all j2 map packs are a thing of the past these days, which is really a shame.
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:45 pm

I might make something this summer, who knows?
ehlohel

Post by ehlohel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:09 pm

you fucking better.
Darthvoorhees13

Post by Darthvoorhees13 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:41 am

Yes, it is a shame that no new abstract maps are really being made. I liked them a lot.

Besides the occasional maps by GMOD users on Garrysmod.org, but those are much more focused on horror than "abstract".

Imagine the potential for the maps because of the engine upgrade. Unless the engine upgrade didn't really do anything and it's still the same.
There is a fine line between Genius and Madman, I erase that line...
VGDCKirbyMarx

Post by VGDCKirbyMarx » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:40 pm

I was working on one for C:SS, but there seems to be an error, so I'm making a surreal map for TF2.
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:16 pm

I been making TF2 maps but I left them all at home so I gotta work from scratch.
Optics

Post by Optics » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:15 pm

I really want to finish an abstract map but I just really don't know how to create one of those nipper animated textures that are really funky and they glow and scroll, like how would I even begin to make such a thing in photoshop, I know most is through vtfedit (glowing and scrolling) but just the original art, do any of you make it from scratch or do you just go on google?
ehlohel

Post by ehlohel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Optics wrote:I really want to finish an abstract map but I just really don't know how to create one of those nipper animated textures that are really funky and they glow and scroll, like how would I even begin to make such a thing in photoshop, I know most is through vtfedit (glowing and scrolling) but just the original art, do any of you make it from scratch or do you just go on google?
download gimp, you can create a HUGE amount of textures just from things you tweak in there
go to filters - > render - > pattern and just use the options there
and if it doesn't have an option to 'make seamless', then just go to filter -> map -> make seamless

I'm not sure if you can do that in photoshop because I've never toyed with it but gimp is definitely great for creating textures, especially since it has an option to make seamless for you.
Optics

Post by Optics » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:02 am

ehlohel wrote:
Optics wrote:I really want to finish an abstract map but I just really don't know how to create one of those nipper animated textures that are really funky and they glow and scroll, like how would I even begin to make such a thing in photoshop, I know most is through vtfedit (glowing and scrolling) but just the original art, do any of you make it from scratch or do you just go on google?
download gimp, you can create a HUGE amount of textures just from things you tweak in there
go to filters - > render - > pattern and just use the options there
and if it doesn't have an option to 'make seamless', then just go to filter -> map -> make seamless

I'm not sure if you can do that in photoshop because I've never toyed with it but gimp is definitely great for creating textures, especially since it has an option to make seamless for you.
cheers buddy, yeah I saw your thread on the skybox error and noticed you have one of those funky textures in the backround, life is going to be so much easier now that you've told me this haha :bigsmile:

Abstract map pack 2011/12? ;)
Traveller

Post by Traveller » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:10 pm

I've been thinking of making an abstract hostage rescue map for CS:S. Started today. Don't know when it will be done.
GRUDGE

Post by GRUDGE » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:03 am

I feel bad for bumping an old post... but it IS still 2011 :D

Here is my attempt from this summer at an abstract map:

http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/157925

It was pretty much one of the first maps I made after taking a 3 year break from mapping, and I kind of rushed it (made it in about a week). Inspired by playing old maps like blahhh and gahhh in 1.6. Not really a finished product, but still incredibly random :D
Wolsk
Im hungry, i need a fur burger
<font color=blue>Im hungry, i need a fur burger</font>

Post by Wolsk » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:13 pm

GRUDGE wrote:I feel bad for bumping an old post... but it IS still 2011 :D

It was pretty much one of the first maps I made after taking a 3 year break from mapping, and I kind of rushed it (made it in about a week). Inspired by playing old maps like blahhh and gahhh in 1.6. Not really a finished product, but still incredibly random :D
Looks nice, yo.
Krylov

Post by Krylov » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:52 pm

GRUDGE wrote:I feel bad for bumping an old post... but it IS still 2011 :D

The map was good! BUT WIERD! Please make more!
GRUDGE

Post by GRUDGE » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:21 pm

Thanks! I had a lot of fun making it :D

Right now I'm focusing on making zm and mg maps, because that's just what I play more atm, and I know popular servers who will add them to their rotations. However, if you know a server that plays maps like this then it would motivate me a LOT more to make it. So if you know any css servers that have maps like this and blah and whatnot then please let me know, it'll make me a lot more likely to make another (better) one!