R_speed in cs 1.6

Like such as the NIPPER
func_?

R_speed in cs 1.6

Post by func_? » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:26 am

Hi guys, it's been a long time since I've posted here. Not that I've been missed much I'd say. Ha.
Anyways, I want to figure out ways to reduce(or increase?) the r_speed of my map. I'm making one based on my school and while I want it to look the same, some portions of the map will be made inaccessible. So basically there will be a lot of useless solids in the map.
SO.
How do I reduce the amount in which the computer loads? I understand that there is this HINT brush to divide the potential visible leafs into smaller portions, but 1) I can't find it in my texture (it is cs 1.6) and 2) its a bit complicated for me to understand how to achieve it.
Also, would making the inaccessible parts of the map a func_illusionary reduce the amount in which the computers need to render?
Yup. Thanks.
Also, good to see that this forum hasn't died yet.
-War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left.
ehlohel
that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit
<b><i>that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit</i></b>

Re: R_speed in cs 1.6

Post by ehlohel » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:31 pm

func_illusionary does not block VIS.
I'm pretty sure that no brush-based entities, or entities in general, can block VIS, but I haven't really ever mapped for the hl engine.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:20 pm

it's also worth noting that brush based entitys will still count toward your wpoly count, even though everyone seemed to think otherwise back in the day. The only real advantage to using brush based entitys is they won't cut up the world geometry they touch. the best thing to do is just plan your map layout with vis blocking in mind

or you could stop mapping for an 14 year old game :p
reaper4172

Post by reaper4172 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:57 am

Here is everything you need to know.

Using the sky/Null texture and one pixel spacing is the best methods that I use, or using entities like func_walls to stop solids from cutting into the ground.

http://www.cryotank.net/maps/tutorials/rspeeds2.html
<1.6 mapper>
reaper