Porting models into other source games

Like such as the NIPPER
ehlohel
that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit
<b><i>that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit</i></b>

Porting models into other source games

Post by ehlohel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:34 pm

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to port the DoD:S hedge model, as can be found here. I have been trying for hours to port that model into CS:S, just with a different texture, as there isn't any snow in my map.

I first used GCFScape to extract hedge_128.vmt and hedge_128.vtf, created a folder inside cstrike/materials/models and placed them in there. Then I created an identical folder in cstrike/models and extracted:

-hedge_128.dx80.vtx
-hedge_128.dx90.vtx
-hedge_128.mdl
-hedge_128.phy
-hedge_128.sw.vtx
-hedge_128.vvd

into that folder. Since both folders were named the same, I adjusted $basetexture in the .vmt to "models/custom/hedge_128", since I had a few custom models downloaded from servers that had identical formatting.

It works, but when you select the model in the model browser, there is a big rectangle of air. There is no wireframe or collision model of it, and there is no texture. I've fiddled with this for a long time and I still can't get it to work, despite 'fixing' it several times.

What am I doing wrong?

edit: here is what i mean -
http://i.imgur.com/UawPa.png
ehlohel
that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit
<b><i>that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit</i></b>

Re: Porting models into other source games

Post by ehlohel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:01 pm

It's been almost two weeks, and I still haven't been able to figure this out. If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. I've asked plenty of people and they've not known either.