Using Ripent on a Sven Co-op Map

Like such as the NIPPER
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Using Ripent on a Sven Co-op Map

Post by A Ninja » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:29 pm

There's an issue on a certain sven co-op map, ragemap2012, where a key door fails to open for players after clearing the room sometimes. I've been told that since the map is basically in the wild now, the best way to solve this would be to ripent the map and edit that door in particular. I've no idea how to utilize repent and a google search took me back to this old article from our own website:
http://www.joe.to/cstrike/ents/

I was hoping, since joe is gone, someone else who is familiar with the program could help me out a bit.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
mr.solokiller

Re: Using Ripent on a Sven Co-op Map

Post by mr.solokiller » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:17 pm

You need to export a .ent file from the BSP file. This file is basically like the entity data in a .map file, only without brush data.
You'll need to check out the map source to see what checks are done to unlock the area and fix it. Then you need to import the .ent file, updating the BSP file.
The command to export a .ent file is ripent -export "path/to/bsp", importing is the same but with -import.
The .ent file must be in the same directory to import.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Re: Using Ripent on a Sven Co-op Map

Post by Avvatar » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:25 pm

You may actually want to look into EntEd (made by our very own sys) as an alternative. I'm not sure that it will open a Sven Co-op map (it's been a while), but it is a much easier to use tool.

You're probably going to need to decompile the map, just to identify the name of the door that's broken, and whichever entities are related to its opening.
Do not, under any circumstances, recompile the decompiled map. Just use it to get the information you need.
Then edit the entities so the door opens under whichever circumstances you choose. Upload a copy of the entity-edited map to the server (the clients can still use the old version) and play.

Unfortunately I can't find any of the old references for GoldSource entities. If it's anything more than a simple switch pointing at a door (and it almost certainly has to be given that it broke) you may have some trouble resolving it without reference docs.