Abstract Map Pack 2015

Like such as the NIPPER
User avatar
Malone
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:58 pm
Location: New England

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2015

Post by Malone » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:51 pm

I've established somewhat of a concept for my map. I'm thinking of doing a blend of nature and technology/matrix-y stuff.

Also, I've been wondering for a while. Is Pakrat an alternative to bspzip?
User avatar
AMMO
Posts: 3216
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: The Belafonte

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2015

Post by AMMO » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:08 pm

I've only ever used Pakrat although I don't know how well it works with CS:GO.
User avatar
Malone
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:58 pm
Location: New England

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2015

Post by Malone » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:47 am

AMMO wrote:I've only ever used Pakrat although I don't know how well it works with CS:GO.
I tested it out, and it seems to be working fine.
User avatar
Malone
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:58 pm
Location: New England

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2015

Post by Malone » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:08 pm

CT Spawn in my map

Image

Anyone else made any progress?
User avatar
AMMO
Posts: 3216
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: The Belafonte

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2015

Post by AMMO » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:10 pm

Looks cool.

I probably won't have anything to show for quite awhile.
User avatar
Malone
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:58 pm
Location: New England

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2015

Post by Malone » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:45 pm

A bit off topic but I just played a few rounds on NIPPER's new map de_downside. 'Twas a fun experience. Nice job man.
User avatar
Malone
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:58 pm
Location: New England

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2015

Post by Malone » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:14 pm

Image

Another screenshot. Lighting clearly isn't my main concern right now :/
User avatar
HomicidalApe
Posts: 5872
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:56 pm
Location: distant shores
Contact:

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2015

Post by HomicidalApe » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:42 pm

Hey guys,

I've been lurking a bit recently- was looking into fixing my de_abstractplane map (thanks to others for pointing out its brokenness), so maybe I'll give some cs:go mapping a chance soon.

One thing that sucks is I have carpal tunnel and am a programmer and a regular guitar player. So don't get your hopes up!
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
User avatar
NIPPER
Posts: 10682
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 9:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2015

Post by NIPPER » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:23 pm

HomicidalApe wrote:Hey guys,

I've been lurking a bit recently- was looking into fixing my de_abstractplane map (thanks to others for pointing out its brokenness), so maybe I'll give some cs:go mapping a chance soon.
would like to see this in cs:go B)
Malone wrote:A bit off topic but I just played a few rounds on NIPPER's new map de_downside. 'Twas a fun experience. Nice job man.
Thanks. I'm totally baffled why this, of all my maps, got so much attention so quickly.

Malone wrote:Another screenshot. Lighting clearly isn't my main concern right now :/
- work on your geometry man, I see a lot of big square rooms in your screenshots. spice things up a bit! add more booze etc :awesome:

- csgo doesn't like wacky displacement stuff. you'll have to manually clip off anything that is above the player or else they can crouch-jump and gut stuck in it.

- pay attention to texture sizes. those city windows generally shouldn't be used for areas that the player can get close up to. If it has to be scaled up higher than the default .25 you want to keep it on background stuff like in the 3dskybox far away.
User avatar
Malone
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:58 pm
Location: New England

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2015

Post by Malone » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:58 pm

NIPPER wrote: - work on your geometry man, I see a lot of big square rooms in your screenshots. spice things up a bit! add more booze etc :awesome:

- csgo doesn't like wacky displacement stuff. you'll have to manually clip off anything that is above the player or else they can crouch-jump and gut stuck in it.

- pay attention to texture sizes. those city windows generally shouldn't be used for areas that the player can get close up to. If it has to be scaled up higher than the default .25 you want to keep it on background stuff like in the 3dskybox far away.
Thanks for the advice, especially the thing about texture sizes, I had no idea :P
As for geometry, making big square areas is a habit that formed in my first days of Hammer that I've been trying to shake for a while now. Back then I wasn't really that great with displacements and the vertex tool, and I was a FREAK about staying on the grid, at all times, with whatever I do. I'm more than capable of doing that kind of stuff now, though, so I'll be adding plenty of stuff to break the format. ;)
User avatar
NIPPER
Posts: 10682
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 9:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2015

Post by NIPPER » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:44 pm

It's not about going off the grid, just changing the size of the grid.
User avatar
Malone
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:58 pm
Location: New England

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2015

Post by Malone » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:49 pm

NIPPER wrote:It's not about going off the grid, just changing the size of the grid.
Exactly, but back then I was always under the impression that if one thing I made was uneven on the grid, I had fucked the whole thing up and needed to start over. An irrational thought.
User avatar
Malone
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:58 pm
Location: New England

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2015

Post by Malone » Sat May 16, 2015 7:37 am

Hey everyone. It's been a couple months, so I thought I'd check in quickly to see where everyone is for this abstract project. I still plan on making a map, and have made a good portion of it at this point. Like some other people said, I've got a lot of other things I need to do so my map probably won't be finished anytime in the near future.
User avatar
NIPPER
Posts: 10682
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 9:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2015

Post by NIPPER » Sat May 16, 2015 11:03 am

I went ahead and made a movie map instead - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 1431788297 :sunny:

I'm kinda hesitant to make another map with music and stuff in it But I'm thinking about what I can do with stock assets only...
User avatar
AMMO
Posts: 3216
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: The Belafonte

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2015

Post by AMMO » Sat May 16, 2015 12:10 pm

NIPPER wrote: I'm kinda hesitant to make another map with music and stuff in it But I'm thinking about what I can do with stock assets only...
Interesting. Is that because you don't want Steam to take it down?

I'm still working away on my map.
Post Reply