SoulStep (DubStep + Trap)

Post anything about your favorite bands, artists, or songs here.
Arron Dominion

SoulStep (DubStep + Trap)

Post by Arron Dominion » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:53 pm

So I typically listen to a lot of hip-hop/rap/rnb typically, but this is an interesting style I recently discovered. As a mixture of trap and dubstep, it has been dubbed as soulstep.

Only one I have found so far has been WatchTheDuck, and here is a stream of their recent mixtape "Don't Watch Me":
https://soundcloud.com/watchtheduck/sets/dontwatchme
playcomp.tf <- If you are interested in Competitive TF2
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Re: SoulStep (DubStep + Trap)

Post by Neelpos » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:19 pm

I mean I see the trap, but the dubstep connection seems a bit tenuous to me. Sounds like there some parts of the songs that tries to emulate it but it sounds exactly like that, emulating the sound, not incorporating. Still neat music though.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:16 pm

Dubstep + trap?
You do realize Trap came from dubstep? It's a musical evolution. How can you combine them? Trap is dubstep mixed with new elements.
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
Neelpos

Post by Neelpos » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:36 am

Looked that up cause I was curious, modern trap is inspired by dubstep, but the genre itself is rooted in 90's hiphop, and the dubstep connection is recent.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Neelpos wrote:Looked that up cause I was curious, modern trap is inspired by dubstep, but the genre itself is rooted in 90's hiphop, and the dubstep connection is recent.
Well yeah listen to the drums. That's why rapping and reggae vocals work so well with trap music.
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Chaos Wake

<b></b>

Post by Chaos Wake » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:09 am

Don't really know if its right to stick dubstep in with Trap due to cultural appropriation issues.

Also Trap definitely didn't originate from dubstep.

I do enjoy Trap though, just not dubstep.
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:32 pm

Trap has dubstep roots. Like it literally does. You can deny that trap came straight from dubstep. That's fair. But to ignore the elements of dubstep that CLEARLY influence trap is just being ignorant.
Most people refer to trap as en evolution of dubstep because it has so many shared elements when trap first started.
Neelpos

Post by Neelpos » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Trap music is a music genre that originated in the Early 1990s from Southern hip hop in the Southern United States.[1][2] It is typified by its aggressive lyrical content and sound, which incorporates 808 sub-bass kick drums, double-time, triple-time and other faster time division hi-hats,[3] layered synthesizers, and "cinematic" strings.

Stylistic origins: Southern hip hop, hip hop
Cultural origins Early 1990s
Sure came from dubstep alright, what with it appearing a few years before dubstep and all, and having entirely separate origins from the UK Garage scene and Reggae music path dubstep came from.
Muffin

Post by Muffin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:41 am

neelpos's quote is pretty accurate

trap music came from southern rappers that were trappin, which is why all the og trap songs talk about crack and killing

edm trap does resemble dubstep in the fact that some of the synths sound similar, the fact that theres a buildup/drop, and theres some artist overlap, but the trademark of trap is 1) the hats, 2) the bass, and 3) trap/drug talk (where #3 kinda went away with the new edm trap)

this is like definition trap music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLGmEjsQpeQ

pretty much see anything yo gotti, three 6 mafia, gucci mane, waka flocka, etc have made
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:41 am

Gotcah well Modern Trap is what I am mainly referring to then. When trap started changing into "edm trap" it is because of the dubstep elements it started to adopt.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:06 pm

erm traps
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."