I just realized that a lot of classic rock is terrible

Post anything about your favorite bands, artists, or songs here.
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:41 pm

I typically listen to three radio stations when driving to and from work, one being a classic rock station, and I never really knew how much shitty classic rock there is until recently. I don't understand why bands like Supertramp and Bad Company get played so much, because they really are garbage. Feel Like Makin' Love is without a doubt one of the worst songs ever recorded.

That's about all I got.
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#5cbb67><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Re: I just realized that a lot of classic rock is terrible

Post by Jason » Tue May 19, 2015 12:56 pm

Feel like makin love is pretty bad by today's standards, but bad company has a lot of pretty solid tunes as well. Same w/ Supertramp. You have to look at it objectively, where music of the time is a reflection of what influence they had from the past. Also most classic rock you hear on the radio is just what was really popular at the time, and if you dig you can find some really amazing unheard of shit. There was no internet back then so word of mouth and bands opening for other bands was really the only way the music got out there but there's plenty of it around.

It was a lot easier to make money playing music back then too so you could get away with sounding like the token 80s band and still be pretty successful. Also look at the Mumford and Sons bullshit that's popular these days and how every band tries to copy that shit and still winds up being pretty successful. It's not that different. It's just a lot easier now to find music that isn't like that if you care enough to take the time.

But just because Feel Like Makin Love is a shit song, you can't write off shit like Jethro Tull and Rush and Yes and Zappa and Genesis and all the bands that while fairly mainstream and popular were still making waves and doing some shit that was genuinely awesome. And I'm pretty sure every one of those bands had a shitty 80s radio hit or two.

But you should have known like long ago that a lot of it is really terrible.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:23 pm

Thank you. Classic rock is stagnant and boring. Aside from the greats it's all shit imo. There is no modern evolution to the sound just the same style over and over and you only have a limited amount to choose from eventually you will hear it all.
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Tue May 19, 2015 4:29 pm

Ian7 wrote:Thank you. Classic rock is stagnant and boring. Aside from the greats it's all shit imo. There is no modern evolution to the sound just the same style over and over and you only have a limited amount to choose from eventually you will hear it all.
This is a joke right
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Tue May 19, 2015 8:49 pm

The color [insert any color here] is really stale and boring
tehENEMY

<b></b>

Post by tehENEMY » Tue May 19, 2015 8:54 pm

Classic rock radio stations are stagnant and boring.
"if only there was such a thing as an affordable gaming laptop" ~collin day, 1993 - 2013

Watch Free the Nipple Online Free
He who casts carcinogenic stones should not live in glass meme houses.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Tue May 19, 2015 11:57 pm

Ok nerds time for a lesson :lecture:
Grndslmhttr3 wrote:I typically listen to three radio stations when driving to and from work
Well, duh no shit Einstein...
Usually what passes as classic rock in american radio stations is obviously the more commercial/marketable (aka make u feel gud)
songs that everyone and their mothers have heard before like a million times.

In my dwelling habitat, AKA the bay, there is a so called classic rock radio station called the bone, i couldn't even begin to describe how many times i heard them
play "when the lights go down in the city" by journey. By the millionth time you heard it, you begin to realize how incredibly cheesy that song is ,and how journey
is kinda of shitty band to be honest.

The thing is classic rock is a misnomer (true classic rock definitely has to be there with the ritchie valens shit)
. You see in the 70s, rock it-self became 100% diversified ,and obviously, even in those days, bands started rippin off other bands.
The result of these were ranged from classical masterpieces to "it all right" songs that play on the classic rock stations today.
Jason wrote: just because Feel Like Makin Love is a shit song, you can't write off shit like Jethro Tull and Rush and Yes and Zappa and Genesis
Exactly, what i'm talkin bout.

If anything, if you were at least to compare to today's, music in the 70 was a high point, period. Comparatively speaking, the musical lyricism, the emotion,
the vocal range and talent, and the effort put in those bands mops the floor with all those trash/glam rock, rap-rock, ska, awesome, grudge that came decades laters.

Finally, you been listening to the wrong bands ,bro. Two words, Uriah Heep

Dat masterful operatic pitch range on David Bryon. Isn't this kinda revolutionary for 1972?
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Grndslmhttr3

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:47 pm

Yeah, I guess my gripe is more with classic rock radio than classic rock itself. There is plenty of good classic rock (it makes up most of my favorite music), yet a disproportionate amount of the shitty stuff is played on the radio (I don't know why I just realized this now/am surprised by it). Maybe I'm sick of hearing the same stuff over and over, or maybe I'm paying more attention to what I'm listening to, I dunno. I've been shifting more toward my oldies station more lately; it's been a very welcome change so far. Also don't you dare talk shit about Journey, Django - their cheesiness (and Steve Perry) is what makes them great. It shouldn't have taken you more than one Journey song to realize how cheesy they are. Just watch the music video for Separate Ways.

I stand by my hatred for Supertramp, though - I'll admit I don't know much of their catalog, but I have no interest in learning more about them after hearing Goodbye Stranger (not totally terrible but still isn't very good), The Logical Song, and Breakfast in America. At least Bad Company has Shooting Star (Feel Like Makin' Love and their eponymous song both suck ass, though).
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Thu May 21, 2015 12:56 am

I don't like Supertramp all that much but I'll strongly disagree that Goodbye Stranger isn't a great song.

But yes, there's a lot of bad mainstream classic rock- when stations start delving into minor or non-hit songs from certain groups it just illuminates how truly banal certain bands were if they didn't have their hits holding them up. I can't imagine how boring it would be to sit through an entire Bad Company album or a Chicago album.
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Thu May 21, 2015 1:16 am

Here's a few of my least favorite classic rock radio rotation songs. There's so much shitty late 60's to 70's rock.

Grndslmhttr3

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Thu May 21, 2015 6:20 am

Bang a Gong by T. Rex is pretty fucking bad too, and pretty much any Aerosmith sounds like nails on a chalkboard except for like one or two songs.

I knew I was missing a couple Supertramp songs (Take the Long Way Home and Give a Little Bit). Fuck that band.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Thu May 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Hellboy wrote:
I never realized how old was this song. Always thought it was much more modern considering the 4 year old child lyrics
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Grndslmhttr3

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:31 pm

the lyrics in the thumbnail are perfect for this thread too
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#5cbb67><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Sat May 23, 2015 11:29 am

REVVED UP LIKE A DOUCHE
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
Grndslmhttr3

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:08 pm

and a little early pearly gave my anus curly wurly