The What Movie You're Watching Now Thread

Post anything about movies here.
joe
The Big Cheese

Re: The What Movie You're Watching Now Thread

Post by joe » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:45 am

i thought both grindhouse movies were boring as hell when i saw them in the theatre. when it was over i was very disappointed. i guess i expected actual good movies and that's not what they were trying to make. they set out to reproduce the shitty movies of the 70's and they succeeded at that.
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:50 am

You can file my mind under "B" for "Blown."
CaptainTripps

Post by CaptainTripps » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 am

Ronin wrote:Just watched 28 Days Later, never seen it before.

Great film, amazing soundtrack.
Skip the sequel.
joe wrote:i thought both grindhouse movies were boring as hell when i saw them in the theatre. when it was over i was very disappointed. i guess i expected actual good movies and that's not what they were trying to make. they set out to reproduce the shitty movies of the 70's and they succeeded at that.
They were pretty clear about what they intended to do, IMO. Those guys grew up watching bad, cheap B movies, they wanted to recreate that style with a budget, but they weren't supposed to be "good" movies. I enjoyed it, but I've always been down for those types of films. I :hearts: Ed Wood.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
BadHorsie

Post by BadHorsie » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:41 am

joe wrote:i thought both grindhouse movies were boring as hell when i saw them in the theatre. when it was over i was very disappointed. i guess i expected actual good movies and that's not what they were trying to make. they set out to reproduce the shitty movies of the 70's and they succeeded at that.
Me too. The fake previews of coming attractions were okay. Then, I did like it when Kurt Russell screamed like a little girl. I laughed my ass off.
End privatized central banking!

The Money Masters

Tax questions answered HERE!
David Rockefeller wrote:"For more than a century ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents such as my encounter with Castro to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as ‘internationalists’ and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure – one world, if you will. If that’s the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it."
BadHorsie

Post by BadHorsie » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:27 am

I am watching "Frost / Nixon" on DVD.
Watched "Gran Torino" and "Taken" yesterday on DVD.

The Money Masters

David Rockefeller wrote:"For more than a century ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents such as my encounter with Castro to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as ‘internationalists’ and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure – one world, if you will. If that’s the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it."
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:00 am

frost/nixon was ok but i'm not a big fan of movies based on actual events that recreate things no one could know (like nixon's behavior in private) and this film not only had plenty of that but they also were very misleading about the climax of the film. in the actual interviews (which i have seen before and watched again after watching this movie) he never admits he did anything wrong. they edited his response to make it seem like a big deal for this movie when actually he said something like "you think it was wrongdoing but i don't." the movie was entertaining and worth seeing but i wouldn't say it's very accurate. also nixon had part ownership of the project and got paid when it aired so he wanted it to succeed as much as david frost. so he made sure there was plenty of newsmaking material in the interview. he didn't want it to be a boring failure either.

i started watching gran torino and thought it was fucking awful and turned it off. never heard of Taken.

ghost town was very good for a corny romantic comedy date movie.
CaptainTripps

Post by CaptainTripps » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:18 am

Escape from NY. I've seen Escape from LA like a hundred times, but somehow always missed the original.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
BadHorsie

Post by BadHorsie » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:42 am

joe wrote:
i started watching gran torino and thought it was fucking awful and turned it off. never heard of Taken.

ghost town was very good for a corny romantic comedy date movie.
You're fucking awful and turn a lot of people off. 8O

You may not have heard of Taken unless you've been to a theater lately. It does not come out until 2009.

If you like those corny romantic comedy date movies, you might be a girl. :crazy:

Okay teasing. But, here is Taken (Liam Neeson movie) -

Code: Select all

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MRIUHDVB

The Money Masters

UnbirthdayHatter

Post by UnbirthdayHatter » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:50 pm

I recently witnessed the horror that was Twilight. Along with the unappealing new Punisher Movie. Say what you want, I didn't enjoy it. And the editing was horrid. Um. Watched Strange Circus, which I'm almost sure no one else has seen, and with good reason. If you ever want to see a movie make just about anyone go, " WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUU--" Really loud, that would be the one to view with friends. If you can sit through it, its got some seriously deranged themes in it.

And I watched Undercover Brother, which I love but most people hate.
"You know what I do when I'm sad? I stop being sad, and start being awesome instead. True story."Image
e_e

Post by e_e » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:47 am

Gran Torino blows.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:21 am

i got dragged to The Spirit and it was one of the worst movies i've ever seen. i really liked the spirit comics so this is a real shame
kaden

Post by kaden » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:04 am

Kubrick's catalog. Are those the only movies you like?
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:06 am

i love good movies

look at the "top 100 movies of all time" lists and i probably love 95+ of them. i just hate lowbrow mass-market crap. i don't ejaculate when i see big explosions. to me, a great movie is The Verdict. it has no car chases, no murders, no explosions, no aliens or spies. it just has perfect dialogue, great acting, and an incredibly well-told captivating story. too many movies these days are just a half dozen set pieces tied together with a shit story and some terrible dialogue in between.

i consider movies to be art, not just a method of killing time. a movie should challenge me, it should reward close attention, and thinking about it should reveal more to it. the first Die Hard is a great movie because they put some thought into it. the other 3 were decent to bad. i'm sure a lot of people share my exact taste in movies but they tend to not be gamers.

re: the spirit
"the worst movie i've ever seen - worse than battlefield earth"
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39450
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:36 pm

kaden wrote:Kubrick's catalog. Are those the only movies you like?
Don't, it's a fruitless argument.

The Spirit sounds like a trainwreck, but the best kind of trainwreck- and nothing is worse than Battlefield Earth.
UnbirthdayHatter

Post by UnbirthdayHatter » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:21 pm

Hellboy wrote: and nothing is worse than Battlefield Earth.
QFT.

Was The Spirit really that bad? Just a bunch of explosions? From an Artists perspective I thought the stylized imagery looked spiffy, but I can say that is one set of comics I never read so I have no reference. I was going to take my little cousin to see it, but if its lame we can just see Yes Man like he wanted. D:
"You know what I do when I'm sad? I stop being sad, and start being awesome instead. True story."Image