The What Movie You're Watching Now Thread

Post anything about movies here.
kaden

Re: The What Movie You're Watching Now Thread

Post by kaden » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:09 pm

Did you ever get to see The Fountain by Darren Aronofsky? That's been my #1 for awhile now.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:34 pm

yeah the fountain was good , i honestly felt it was a little boring but i think that's my fault. great story and beautifully shot

the spirit is basically what you get when you give someone with no ability or experience $30 million to make a movie. i agree with pretty much everything in that AICN review i posted. it seems like frank miller told the actors "i don't really know how to direct so just do your best acting" and turned the camera on. you get a bunch of people doing sloppy lazy line readings. if that was the biggest problem it would still be a bad movie. but much worse than that is just how many minutes of screen time are spent with nothing going on! minutes of weird boring confusing nonsense monologues, weird meaningless stuff on the screen, nothing tied together, not much of a narrative...

probably the best example is the bad guys capture the spirit and bring him back to their hq, because they need to kill him. then he wakes up from the drug, and they tell him "we need to kill you" and the bad guys have 5 or 10 minutes (it seemed like FOREVER) of literally doing nothing but walking back and forth, left and right in front of a curtain - WHILE DRESSED AS NAZIS (not explained) - and delivering a REALLY long and boring monologue. it was just bizarre how bad it was.

and as i mentioned, im a big fan of The Spirit comics - i think will eisner was a genius - so it's a real tragedy that his work's first major exposure will turn a lot of people off.
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
CaptainTripps

Post by CaptainTripps » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:50 pm

Fountain felt like it fell into the same category as 2001, the first Star Trek movie, and everything with Kevin Costner - great idea/story, beautiful sets and great acting, horrible editing and overindulgent directorship.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
kaden

Post by kaden » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Overindulgent directorship? Well, "in a way" that's what a director needs to be don't they? If a director is for any reason being modest about his talent, then the final product would come off as uninviting. Especially with a story as ambitious as The Fountain, you can't have a director straight-shoot it. If the director wasn't well over his head with ideas, then it wouldn't have been as interesting. What's really admirable though, about that movie, is that even though Aronofsky was well over his head with ideas, it was still a movie with focus. It didn't get overzealous with its ideas, it was well organized. Hugh Jackman played the hell out of his part too.
CaptainTripps

Post by CaptainTripps » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:36 pm

actually that was kind of my point. It lacked focus, from my point of view anyway, and it seemed like it tried to encompass so much instead of doing more with less, and that's even understanding the inherent lack of focus intrinsic to the plot, and having watched many, many sci fi movies.

Still liked it tho.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:03 am

CaptainTripps wrote:Fountain felt like it fell into the same category as 2001, the first Star Trek movie, and everything with Kevin Costner - great idea/story, beautiful sets and great acting, horrible editing and overindulgent directorship.
that's a good way to put it
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
UnbirthdayHatter

Post by UnbirthdayHatter » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:08 am

Joe. I stand corrected.

I went and saw The Spirit today, and I got a nice long laugh out of it really. Just because I had no idea what was going on. The Nazi thing though, that totally killed me. I burst into laughter.
"You know what I do when I'm sad? I stop being sad, and start being awesome instead. True story."Image
NorCal

Post by NorCal » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:57 pm

UnbirthdayHatter wrote:I recently witnessed the horror that was Twilight.
lol... I'm sorry. I loved that movie.
Hottness everywhere in that movie!
:hearts: :hearts:
Plus I love how beautiful the location of the set is.
loafozard wrote: norcal is less of a ghost and more of a forgotten legend.
BadHorsie

Post by BadHorsie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:41 pm

I hear "The Spirit" is totally stupid and about the biggest worthless pile of crap made in like ever.
End privatized central banking!

The Money Masters

Tax questions answered HERE!
David Rockefeller wrote:"For more than a century ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents such as my encounter with Castro to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as ‘internationalists’ and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure – one world, if you will. If that’s the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it."
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:45 pm

BadHorsie wrote:I hear "The Spirit" is totally stupid and about the biggest worthless pile of crap made in like ever.
It's pretty polarizing.
The Eternal

Post by The Eternal » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:43 am

ill tell you... Spirit is no Sin City
Jason
TODAY IS SATURDAY
<font color=#d385e><b>TODAY IS SATURDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:06 am

I'm disappointed at the terrible reviews the Spirit got. I'd wanted to see it :(

Jason Heck from the kansas city star liked it. Hahaha.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
UnbirthdayHatter

Post by UnbirthdayHatter » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:49 pm

Uh. I read the Twilight books, and they were alright, but I didn't enjoy the movie. I mean, there was some pretty people, and I think Robert Patterson is alright looking-- but not in this movie. He did a good job being creepy Edward though. Lol.

The Spirit commercials mislead me, terribly. It was so bad it was hilarious. And what the funk of the photocopy of her butt taken around town? SERIOUSLEH?
"You know what I do when I'm sad? I stop being sad, and start being awesome instead. True story."Image
e_e

Post by e_e » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:58 pm

Slumdog Millionaire was pretty good, but I didn't really like how the story progressed when the characters were at their oldest.
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:25 pm

Curious Case of Benjamin Button sounds like a cheesy concept, but they pulled it off really well
A hearty recommendation from Neelpos
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.