Post anything about TV shows here.
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by narwal » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:25 am

Ignoring that part

What the fuck xerxes
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:14 pm

Makes sense to have a kind of slow episode at this point in the season but there was some good stuff. Great episode for Tywin Lannister, I think his scenes were probably the best in this episode. You start to get a feel for him as an actual person with ideals and not just some evil scumbag Lannister. He's still a giant asshole, but no more than a lot of other giant assholes. The lack of good and evil is one of the better parts of these stories and I think his character is a good display of that.

I think making the Jaime Cersei scene more rapey was a big ol mistake, I think the general consensus there was just unnncomfortableeee.

The story really makes you go from being like THE STARKS ARE THE BEST FUCK THE LANNISTERS to realizing that from the point of view of the common people in the story it's all the same. Tommen can actually make a fine King regardless of the twisted ways the Lannisters came into power (Baratheon himself came into power by rebellion and they did a lot of twisted shit to the Targaryens too, so what's to make one more right?) This is the point in the story where I really start questioning who I'm pulling for.

But fuck the Freys and the Boltons always.

I still think the Daario Naharis actor is total shit. I don't know if he's trying to act deadpan in a cool way, like he's bored even when he does badass stuff so that makes him more cool, but it doesn't come across that way at all. He's just boring.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
Waterbear

Post by Waterbear » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:36 pm

Jason wrote:I still think the Daario Naharis actor is total shit. I don't know if he's trying to act deadpan in a cool way, like he's bored even when he does badass stuff so that makes him more cool, but it doesn't come across that way at all. He's just boring.
Agreed. Tbh in the books I kind of imagined him the way Oberyn is portrayed in the show, and vice versa. I think most people who read the books hated daario though (and not even in the way they hate Joffrey, but just like UGH why does this character even EXIST sort of way) so i dont think we'll ever really be happy with him

the cersei/jaime thing gave me the heebie jeebies, but here's a GRRM post about it http://grrm.livejournal.com/367116.html ... #t19030284
The show directors also kind of meant for it to be seen as leaning towards consensual towards the end... but I didn't really get any of that vibe.
12:13 PM - jermm: man I haven't taken a poop that needs a plunger in years
12:13 PM - jermm: my body is failing me
g
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY

Post by Jason » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:53 pm

Yeah I could see her like almost giving in but it was in more of a weepy I'm being raped and I can't overpower this man than in a I actually do want this sort of way.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:18 am

who the fuck is GRMM, ya nerds?
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY

Post by Jason » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:41 am

GRRM* is presumably George RR Martinez, the mexican author of los books.
Django
Bow down to your King!

Post by Django » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:59 am

GRMM is the sound that your mother makes in bed
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:04 am

Braavos
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Jason wrote:I think making the Jaime Cersei scene more rapey was a big ol mistake, I think the general consensus there was just unnncomfortableeee.
Also remember that in the books Joffrey was dead quite a while before Jaime had returned. Cersei had time to let it all set in before Jaime returned, so her "need" for Jaime to be there was different from the show.
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY

Post by Jason » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:58 am

Decent episode but either I'm forgetting a lot or they're starting to take more and more liberties. Also going to painful lengths to over explain things that are merely hinted at in the books.
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:34 am

This episode really showed us a lot of stuff that wasn't in the books. Bran's entire storyline for one, but I'm excited for it. It's a good way to pace the story I think, and make sure they don't burn through their material too fast. But can we talk about something? That last scene. That last scene is HUGE.

That was info that was only hinted at in the books. Heavily hinted at sure, but we never had direct confirmation as to how the Others reproduced, whether it was sexual or something else. We now have direct confirmation that Others, at least some of them, were once human. The implications of this information extend much further than Craster, but I won't get into that here.

That final shot though, of the Other with the horns? HBO summary confirmed him as the Night's King however that information was quickly changed to a generic "Walker" shortly after. So was this a mistake or an unintentional confirmation as to that Other's identity? I'm leaning towards unintentional confirmation.

This was an amazing episode and I can't wait to see how this info will affect things in TWOW whenever that's released.
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

Django
Bow down to your King!

Post by Django » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:51 am

Pentagram.J2 wrote:we never had direct confirmation as to how the Others reproduced, whether it was sexual or something else. We now have direct confirmation that Others, at least some of them, were once human. The implications of this information extend much further than Craster, but I won't get into that here..
I swear to God, didn't the show kinda showed that before ,or at least hinted at it. Like there was this scene where Lord JoerMormonMormont takes a
one of the Craster babies into the forest at night, i swear that happened and it's not my imagination.

So, like using deduction you assume the night walkers fill their ranks with sacrificial babies by infecting them with glaucoma (blue eyes).
But, now it's like they directly showed that happening.
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:31 am

The scene you're referring to was fairly explicit yes. It was Jon following Craster after seeing him carry one of his sons off into the woods. That scene confirmed for us book readers that he was offering his sons to the Others, which is why he's been able to live so safely all these years. But we never really knew what for. It was a common theory that the walkers were turning them, but that was all it was. A common theory. This ending confirmed that and then some.

Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY

Post by Jason » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:16 am

I dono, omissions and slight alterations I always understand because they're necessary when fitting the story to TV or a film, but when they start pulling out things entirely outside of the source material I start to get confused. The white walker baby thing I was pretty much okay with although I was a little like "uhhhh"

Bran's story is probably the worst for me. I don't like at all how it seems like they're gearing up to Have Jon Snow come and save him and have them have some sort of little reunion. It seems like the typical sort of sappy feelgood triumph hooray shit they always seem to think they need to add to a book when adapting it for the screen.

I also don't remember this Locke guy even being a character
Waterbear

Post by Waterbear » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:52 am

Yeah, I don't know how the Jon/Bran shit is going to work, if (book spoilers) Coldhands is even going to be a thing, it was such a cool fucking character. I mean the whole sam/gilly + bran&co happened without him so I'm thinking it won't be. :[

And yeah Jason, I'm trying to think of what the fuck Locke is gonna do. Like he's already the replacement for Vargo Hoat and I'm trying to think of who the heck he's supposed to be taking the place of now up on the Wall. :stare: MAJOR BOOK5 SPOILER :stare: The people wanting to assassinate Jon are already in place there in Alliser and the gold cloak guy. And when the fuck is Stannis going to go up there? MAJOR BOOK5 SPOILER

All this new shit makes me wonder how the heck they're gonna pace this out. We haven't gotten to the wildling attacks on the wall yet or its aftermath and we're gonna be on e5 already.
12:13 PM - jermm: man I haven't taken a poop that needs a plunger in years
12:13 PM - jermm: my body is failing me
g