custom map cycle

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
NIPPER

Re: custom map cycle

Post by NIPPER » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:54 pm

yeah toyfort is no good.

snofort is too dark and has a problem with the spawn door (sometimes it gets stuck shut)
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:29 am

slide sucks :( same author as skyscraper but both teams start in the same area, which means people just kill each other rather than jump
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Tone Deaf

Post by Tone Deaf » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:56 pm

NIPPER wrote:yeah toyfort is no good.
snofort is too dark and has a problem with the spawn door (sometimes it gets stuck shut)
This was posted on FPSBANANA.com by the map author:
***Ctf_snofort updated! -- SERVER ADMINS, IF YOU DOWNLOADED PRIOR TO NOV 29 YOU MUST REDOWNLOAD OR RISK HAVING PROBLEMS SHARING THE MAP WITH YOUR PLAYERS***

UPDATE NOTES: Fixed the major problems that were identified in the first few days, including:
- Higher ambient light levels; players are now easily visible outdoors.
- Second exit from the flag room; you don't have to go back through the cabin to leave the base.
- Imported pine tree models from EP2; outdoor trees are no longer ridiculous looking and should provide some sniper cover for the outdoor route.
- Truss models in tunnels are now 'Not Solid'; you won't get stuck on them.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/39838
Was the light the only problem? Because it looks like an interesting map and I've never played it :) I'm not sure if he fixed the spawn door problem yet.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:38 pm

yeah we downloaded it after the update was posted yesterday
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:25 pm

joe wrote:slide sucks :( same author as skyscraper but both teams start in the same area, which means people just kill each other rather than jump
Dang, well I hope the next sequel be better.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:51 pm

That j2 jump map is terrible. It shouldn't be on the map rotation.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:53 pm

Skyscraper can be fun.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:04 pm

bl4nk wrote:That j2 jump map is terrible. It shouldn't be on the map rotation.
a lot of people like it. you are an admin, why not set server 1 up with your favorite maps?
Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Post by Mad_Dugan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:54 pm

cp_floodzone2 seems to approach being impossible to win with a full server. The single, middle choke point is too small for large teams.
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:27 pm

i dunno dugan, all you need is uber to push right through and past it. most of the stalemates i see are because both teams are not actually trying to push forward, they are just sitting at 2nd point fighting over middle
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:16 am

joe wrote:i dunno dugan, all you need is uber to push right through and past it. most of the stalemates i see are because both teams are not actually trying to push forward, they are just sitting at 2nd point fighting over middle
The question isn't whether or not it's possible, this map tends to stalemate. Doesn't matter why.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:58 pm

well if it's player inaction that causes stalemate then i'm more inclined to like the map. i don't think there's anything wrong with floodzone, the problem is that a significant portion of the playerbase doesn't understand the concept of the team goal. i wish there was a way to punish/encourage people to try to WIN as opposed to sit back and rack up meaningless kills.
Jerky

Post by Jerky » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:16 pm

floodzone has been beaten with full house, it all depends on whos playing, and on what teams they are on. and i don't really understand why people even care about kill stats and stuff when the server doesen't even have stats, so whats the point. i could understand if you know, every point was being recorded. regardless, floodzone has been beaten, but its just like hall of death, its been stalemated so many times before too, but it is beatable.
JERKY
Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Post by Mad_Dugan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:41 pm

This breaks the whole community aspect of the servers, but this is where team only voice chat would go along way to organizing people on cp_floodzone2.

Another idea is to maybe turn off the time adjustment when the center control point is captured to add some time pressure to push through, or at least force it into sudden death.
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:32 pm

dugan explain the time adjustment again please, i didnt understand your comment