.j2 tag and adminship?

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
Apokalupsis

Re: .j2 tag and adminship?

Post by Apokalupsis » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:03 am

bl4nk wrote:
Apokalupsis wrote:What's the big deal that you guys have with people wanting to wear a non-clan tag?
The majority of this community wears a non-clan tag. ".j2"
Right...so why do people apparently oppose wearing a <TWM> tag?
"I've got two daughters, 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby." - Barack Obama, on morals and the "value" of childhood.
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:35 am

Apokalupsis wrote:
bl4nk wrote:
Apokalupsis wrote:What's the big deal that you guys have with people wanting to wear a non-clan tag?
The majority of this community wears a non-clan tag. ".j2"
Right...so why do people apparently oppose wearing a <TWM> tag?
I see no opposition. I just see people thinking the group is pointless and stupid.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:33 am

Apokalupsis don't stress about people giving you a hard time here. your post was interesting and informative and if people choose to ignore 98% of it and question a tag you wear, you can just ignore them or respond however you want. don't let it bother you.

anyway other than you being a republican you sound like an extra-fine person and someone who definitely improves a community by being a member and i'm glad you like our servers and i hope you stick around here a long time.

to answer the thrust of your comments, .j2 started out for a way for people here to find each other on NS servers and just kind of grew organically to include anyone that uses these forums. it's unofficial and voluntary, and we don't hold anything against people that don't wear the tag. however as blank pointed out it is nice for admins to wear it at least.
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Apokalupsis

Post by Apokalupsis » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:29 am

joe wrote:Apokalupsis don't stress about people giving you a hard time here. your post was interesting and informative and if people choose to ignore 98% of it and question a tag you wear, you can just ignore them or respond however you want. don't let it bother you.
I'm not particularly "bothered". I have a thick skin. ;) I do serious debate and discussion on politics/theology/philosophy on almost a daily basis either online or in my Socrates Cafe group.

Thanks for the support though.
anyway other than you being a republican you sound like an extra-fine person and someone who definitely improves a community by being a member and i'm glad you like our servers and i hope you stick around here a long time.
Hold the phone. I R no Republikan. ;) I'm a registered Independent going on 14 years now.

The term you probably want to use is a "moderate conservative". Nor am I a Neocon. I more closely relate to being a paleoconservative (although my beliefs differ from many paleocons on education, religion and enterprise zones (of which I lean more Libertarian, generally speaking).

As far as hanging around, I'll be around as long as there are servers. The speed, stability, quality of players (for the most part) and custom maps (on the TF2 server anyway) are top notch.

And thanks for the compliments. It's cool comin' from a CS/DoD community celebrity. hehe
to answer the thrust of your comments, .j2 started out for a way for people here to find each other on NS servers and just kind of grew organically to include anyone that uses these forums. it's unofficial and voluntary, and we don't hold anything against people that don't wear the tag. however as blank pointed out it is nice for admins to wear it at least.
I understand. I've already adopted the tag, thank you for the explanation.
"I've got two daughters, 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby." - Barack Obama, on morals and the "value" of childhood.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:30 pm

joe wrote:j2 started out for a way for people here to find each other on NS servers
I love how this story gets watered down with time.
The .j2 tag was started by GWB when players demanded stats on the servers. He decided that he didn't want to track everyones stats, and that only players who put a .j2 at the end of their name would be tracked on stats. Thus, .j2 is a collection of statwhores.

And because it's been long enough that there are a lot of people who don't know who GWB is.. Way way back in the day, joe was hosting a CS Team Goals server, and a user "George W Bush" hosted 3 Natural Selection servers on machines at his workplace, very much without his bosses knowledge. He wrote some scripts that turned the servers on at night, and shut them down during the day to avoid detection. We had 3 very fast very stable NS servers and a stellar admin group. We attracted many of the best NS players in the game, and had a very large community. Eventually, GWB got bolder, and the servers ran longer, I think eventually they were running all day. And in the end GWB was caught, fired, and the servers were shut down. Many times since then, the server ns2.joe.to has been rehosted by someone else, and has run for a while. For a time it was even supported purely on donations and continued to run. Eventually, the popularity of NS waned, and many j2 members started playing WoW and the server was taken down. Then j2 slumbered until TF2 was released. And then we got lots of new people who are not familiar with the story of GWB, and then I made this post, and now here we are.
skinthinner

Post by skinthinner » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:57 pm

I love you, Avvatar :)
BIGGIE wrote:whoa whoa theres more skinthinners in the world? What are we gonna do. gonna be like I am Legend but with skinthinners instead of vampires
Chief Cheese wrote:i don't mind being butt fucked tho. . .
Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Post by Mad_Dugan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:10 am

Avvatar wrote:
joe wrote:j2 started out for a way for people here to find each other on NS servers
I love how this story gets watered down with time.
The .j2 tag was started by GWB when players demanded stats on the servers. He decided that he didn't want to track everyones stats, and that only players who put a .j2 at the end of their name would be tracked on stats. Thus, .j2 is a collection of statwhores.

And because it's been long enough that there are a lot of people who don't know who GWB is.. Way way back in the day, joe was hosting a CS Team Goals server, and a user "George W Bush" hosted 3 Natural Selection servers on machines at his workplace, very much without his bosses knowledge. He wrote some scripts that turned the servers on at night, and shut them down during the day to avoid detection. We had 3 very fast very stable NS servers and a stellar admin group. We attracted many of the best NS players in the game, and had a very large community. Eventually, GWB got bolder, and the servers ran longer, I think eventually they were running all day. And in the end GWB was caught, fired, and the servers were shut down. Many times since then, the server ns2.joe.to has been rehosted by someone else, and has run for a while. For a time it was even supported purely on donations and continued to run. Eventually, the popularity of NS waned, and many j2 members started playing WoW and the server was taken down. Then j2 slumbered until TF2 was released. And then we got lots of new people who are not familiar with the story of GWB, and then I made this post, and now here we are.
Isn't that how religions get started?
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:07 am

that's not entirely accurate but if you combine his and mine you get something close to the truth :)
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
BadHorsie

Post by BadHorsie » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:01 am

Mad_Dugan wrote: Isn't that how religions get started?
OMG! You're all SCIENTOLOGISTS! 8O :crazy:
End privatized central banking!

The Money Masters

Tax questions answered HERE!
David Rockefeller wrote:"For more than a century ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents such as my encounter with Castro to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as ‘internationalists’ and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure – one world, if you will. If that’s the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it."
Chief Cheese

Post by Chief Cheese » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:08 pm

i <3 your sig
i <3 cheese. cheese <3 evry1. u= an every1. thus, by transitive property i <3 u
Chief Cheese the amazing wrote:
Neelpos wrote:I eat pig fetuses. Like the kind they dissect in biology classes. Formaldehyde and all. After I have sex with them of course. Also, I loved George Bush and donate all my money to Family Radio.
youngrippark

Post by youngrippark » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:14 am

is adminship a real word?
Johnny5072

Post by Johnny5072 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:35 pm

youngrippark wrote:is adminship a real word?
Not really...but this is what the "adminship" Looks like,

Insert admin here ^^^^^^

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
kevkingofthesea
King of the Sea
<font color=#0080BF>King of the Sea</font>

Post by kevkingofthesea » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:38 pm

Is the one in the middle with the green vest and yellow shirt Mick Jagger?

:P
Still not dead.
nude-fox

Post by nude-fox » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:16 pm

no thats choobar
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:55 am

I thought .j2 predated NS/GWB? I could've sworn RBBB was involved.

/.Delinquent
STEAM_0:1:209083