About Mic Spam

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

About Mic Spam

Post by Bun » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:32 pm

So, I was gone for a few days and I come back to the server and it was full of newbies I've never seen before. They were all mic spamming and shit. I guess school's out?

I know this issue has been addressed before, but I've had to permanently mute someone today. Despite all the warnings I gave him, and the explanations Johnny5, Nightwolf, and Hippie gave everyone, some people just chose to ignore us. Guys, listen to admins when they tell you to cool it!

Some of you may recognize this guy, since I've received a lot of complaints about him before. His name is Willbob. I know he's been on the server for quite a while (since the most recent episode of The Locals was released), so he should know not to mic spam. I can name a few more people off the top of my head to add to the list, but I won't get into it right now.

Thing is, for those who talk a lot, you guys should type 'voice_loopback 1' in console, that way you guys can hear yourselves talk and see how annoying you guys are. This is directed at all the new guys who recently joined the server. It's annoying having the same few people talk non-stop and like two or three people talk about this one topic over and over again, when the rest of the server doesn't even care. I'm not saying you shouldn't start a discussion, but when you talk about Pokemon for 2 hours straight and it's just 3 out of the 28 people on the server talking, then it gets annoying. And when an admin just tells you to end the discussion there, you take it as an insult?

Also, please don't use a disability and/or emotional condition as an excuse. We respect everyone on the server, but using that as an excuse isn't going to help. If you're annoying, then you're annoying. If you are hurt by the things we say and/or discuss on this server, like Johnny5 explained earlier, then this really isn't the server for you. For example, someone told this new guy, ryder_son to stop talking to much and he got all emotional about it, which led to Johnny5 making his epic speech.

Also, one last thing... if you're going to talk shit, and you can't take a hit, then don't talk shit at all. Don't cry about being hurt over the internet because you started something and someone else is just trying to defend themselves.

I just wanted to get this out there for those who actually care, but I just don't think it's as fun playing on TF4 anymore.

Agree/disagree or flame away if you want. Like I said, I just wanted to get this out there.
Last edited by Bun on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Da_man
Party Hard!

Re: About Mic Spam

Post by Da_man » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:37 pm

What made it hilarious was Willbob asking when his admin application would go through during his micspam session.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:41 pm

Da_man wrote:What made it hilarious was Willbob asking when his admin application would go through during his micspam session.
The fact that I warned him via text multiple times and Johnny, Nightwolf, and Hippie warned him via voice chat multiple times and he still didn't listen... I dunno what to say. He said so himself that he won't shut up and that he will dish out whatever comes to mind.
TempSoul

Post by TempSoul » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:44 pm

so sad i can't login to tf4 to enjoy the qq.

But seriously guys this server is a place for people to come and enjoy themselves. If you guys can't respect other players and the rules of this community what right do you have to be around people. Learn some fucking social skills. We are being kind to you by letting you have your opportunity to learn and find your place in this community. It's a fucking privilege to be on this server not a right, and that goes for every single member of the community young and old.
Vizier

Post by Vizier » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:56 pm

I agree 100%, that's about all I can say without adding glamour to the comments.
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:00 pm

I know I've been on tf4 for less than 4 months, but if I can add my two cents: Please Please PLEASE stop with the Monty Python/ASDFmovies/Locals quote storms. It only makes you appear annoying and unoriginal, and it's something which happens way too often to be funny. Referencing things is fine, but it's unbearable when you simply spam random quotes, and when one person does it, up to half the server starts too, and its a big fucking mess.
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Petiee

Post by Petiee » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Porky wrote:If you are hurt by the things we say and/or discuss on this server, like Johnny5 explained earlier, then this really isn't the server for you.
I've said it once, I'll say it again. 90% of us our assholes here at tf4.
It's like a superpower. Only we are jerks.

Also, if your philosophy on using the mic is "Well I want to say everything that comes to mind, cause I'm afraid I'll miss something." I want you to take your mic and throw it into the middle of the street, cause you shouldn't be using it. Either re-evaluate your philosophy on mic use or leave that thing unplugged. Cause no one wants to hear EVERYTHING that comes to mind.

Quality > Quantity
neurosis prevents psychosis
Maha

Post by Maha » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:59 pm

Agreed. I don't come to the server to listen to one guy spew forth what amounts to verbal diarrhea that consist of memes and suicide stories.
TempSoul

Post by TempSoul » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:42 am

Petiee, I think we have to stop with the idealogy that we're assholes on this server. We are far kinder than most people in the world but on this server we may be crude but we are never, on purpose, disrespectful or rude to the undeserved. We just know when it's our right to be dicks to people, jokingly or seriously.

The newbies are to gullible and foolish to know what it means to be a asshole really is. They are all acting like true asses and dicks. We shouldn't reinforce this false stereotype anymore. They take it farther than we, in our long time on this server, ever have

I miss being able to just chill on the server
Petiee

Post by Petiee » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:44 am

I know temp. You are right, but it's like a disclaimer.
People show up having watched the locals and think that tf4 is some bastion of comradery. They don't really realize how we work. We are assholes to one another, but in a loving way. I've been cursed out and cursed out just about everyone here, but that's just how we operate. Some people walk in not realizing that's how we work and.. well, it goes poorly. example ->http://forums.joe.to/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=71317

I'm not validating other people to be assholes, I'm not even saying we are actually assholes (except the explicitly saying we are assholes part), I'm just trying to warn people we are,,, uncompromising in how we conduct ourselves.

Besides, if anyone is actually an asshole, starts flagrantly trying to cause trouble, we can ban that person pretty quickly. (hell, ff lets us weed out most of the real douchebags pretty quickly). The problem we are having with this influx is that they don't know how to conduct themselves and are loud and obnoxious. Not that they are mean spirited.
Last edited by Petiee on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:52 am

We are assholes, but we're polite assholes until you piss us off. We welcome ass-hattery of all sorts, but only ask that you not be a total tool.

The mic spam was bad again tonight and it was mostly the same 3 or 4 people all night. We need some more frequent muting that last longer than a few seconds.
Cypher_

Post by Cypher_ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:58 am

I think I could guess the four you're referring to.

Ryder is a good kid, but he loves to talk.

[edit] Love you too, Petie.
Last edited by Cypher_ on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Petiee

Post by Petiee » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:59 am

The problem is it is so hard to specify when and where the actual injunction happened.
When someone is singing poorly into their mic and ignoring warnings, that's easy to punish.
When someone is saying jokes that aren't funny, well that's not explicitly wrong. But it gets to a point where you want to scream at them to shut the fuck up.

I think admins need to start handing out mutes that lost for a round. Give the offenders some practice at being quiet.

[edit] Also fuck you Cypher. Stop being so good at murdering me when I play engie.
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:14 am

Petiee wrote:The problem is it is so hard to specify when and where the actual injunction happened.
Sometimes, sure, but when I am watching the voice icons at the bottom of my screen and the same couple names are ALWAYS on when others are talking, it's pretty obvious that a mute is in order.
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:39 am

I'm also tired of the really dumb questions and people repeating themselves over and over again.

"Why is this here?"
"Why can you do this on this map?"
"Why aren't we allowed to do this on this map?"

Because the map maker designed it that way! :slap: