Problem with lag, but no increase in ping?

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
LannSC

Problem with lag, but no increase in ping?

Post by LannSC » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:02 pm

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong board

Since yesterday I've been getting a weird sort of lag, not framerate lag, but lag that you get when your ping is really high. It takes 2 seconds for voice commands to actually register and be used and half the time when I switch weapons it goes back to my old weapon in a stuttery way. Apparently when talking in the server my voice is extremely choppy and nobody can hear as well. Thing is, my ping is at a constant 50-60, and I can't find out what the problem is.

This is really getting annoying and it'd be greatly appreciated if anybody could give some insight as to what's happening. Thanks.

Update: I've noticed when I begin stuttering/lagging most the 'in *number* ' part of net_graph spikes between 1000 to 5000 from it's regular 100-200, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but seems like it.
Last edited by LannSC on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BPM

Re: Problem with lag, but no increase in ping?

Post by BPM » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:20 pm

I don't think it's a server problem as no one else seemed to have this problem. Have you tried joining other TF2 servers to see if the problem persists ?
LannSC

Post by LannSC » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:59 pm

BPM wrote:I don't think it's a server problem as no one else seemed to have this problem. Have you tried joining other TF2 servers to see if the problem persists ?
Joined two other servers. First one my voice was completely fine but my weapon switching was still screwed up. Then I noticed I had over 150 ping so I switched servers. Went to a server with around 30-40 ping, my voice is working fine and my switching weapons is good as well. It's only on .j2 that this is happening unfortunately.
johnFF

Post by johnFF » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:13 am

Quick post.
It could be a router problem (software or hardware). Certain ports for different games.

Try google with different word combinations. Cox, lag, game, server and any other words that may apply.

Then have all this info fresh in your mind, even have a post-it note with what you have tried or think may be the cause before you call tech support/ QOS. They will ask you to unplug the power cord for a few seconds, then ping & test your modem as a next step. Just be honest and if no luck we can try again a few hours later.
Dangit Spongebobby!

Post by Dangit Spongebobby! » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:30 am

In a recent patch, Valve changed some of the default settings regarding lag interpolation ("lerp"). Provided its not a hardware issue, here is a link which may help in configuring your game:

http://www.dinkypage.com/109278/ - Also, be sure to raise your cl_cmdrate to the maximum the server allows (I believe its 66). If you have broadband this should be no problem for your connection.

Don't forget to set "rate" to "60000" in your console.

Another possibility: If its only happening on j2, perhaps your ISP just has a bad link to the network the server is on right now.
LannSC

Post by LannSC » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:19 pm

Problem seems to have resolved itself now, thanks for the help mates. Still wondering how/why it happened.
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:03 pm

I bet it was a ghooooost
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Dangit Spongebobby! wrote:Another possibility: If its only happening on j2, perhaps your ISP just has a bad link to the network the server is on right now.
Probably this.