Y'all need to learn class composition

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Y'all need to learn class composition

Post by Eviltechie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:17 pm

On a team of seven people, there is zero reason to have...
  • Any snipers
  • Two spies
  • Any demoknights
Why not you may ask?
  • More than half of your team is now useless. It's like being matched up 7 to 3.
  • You and your teammates will be killed over and over. They will rage quit.
  • The other team will get bored of killing you over and over with no challenge. They will quit.
  • Your medics (you have those, right?) have nobody to uber.
For a team of seven people, I suggest the following composition...
  • Medic
  • Heavy
  • Soldier
  • Pyro
  • Demoman (one with stickybombs and grenades, for demolishing sentries)
  • Scout
  • Engineer/Scout/Spy as the situation requires.
Unless you are a sniper who can pull of reliable kills on the front line, you don't provide anything to your team with this few people. Even then you would be better served going medic.

Please refer to the instructional material below to prevent this oversight from happening again.

20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Sanvich Hoovy

Re: Y'all need to learn class composition

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:27 pm

True, but if you have an incredibly stupid lineup, then the enemy team will underestimate you. You'll still lose, but they'll have underestimated you.
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:11 pm

I'd like to add that a scramble doesn't do anything but average out the score. So people should stop asking for one when they get steamrolled and consider looking at your composition. I usually see teams made up of rocket jumping soldiers and players who don't contribute to the team at all. i.e. spycrabbing etc. So don't yell for a scramble without understanding what's going on on your team. Vote scrambles generally never passes anyways due to the winning voting no.
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:14 pm

This is one of the reasons I stopped playing tf4 alot. People play bullshit.
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
loafozard
XxBaker_RebornxX

Post by loafozard » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:33 pm

Winning doesn't matter unless you're playing competitively. I play to have fun, and if people are gonna complain about me having fun then so be it. I'll only care about winning and class comp if fun at the time is winning. But on all of the stupid maps people decide to play on, screw trying i would rather just kill things.
Sirc001 wrote:Another player along with myself known as loaf of bread or something
Archer wrote:uWu chat daddy
Wolsk
Im hungry, i need a fur burger
<font color=blue>Im hungry, i need a fur burger</font>

Post by Wolsk » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:32 pm

loafozard wrote:Winning doesn't matter unless you're playing competitively. I play to have fun, and if people are gonna complain about me having fun then so be it. I'll only care about winning and class comp if fun at the time is winning. But on all of the stupid maps people decide to play on, screw trying i would rather just kill things.
+1
Tzeryushi

Post by Tzeryushi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:47 pm

The only thing that truly frustrates in a match is spycrabs or anyone else that just wants to "be nice"...call it what you will. To me that's pretty much the only thing that really dilutes gameplay. Kind of working off of what loaf said, if people are having fun it's cool.

On the other hand there are definitely times where the tone of the server changes, like in payload maps. I totally get the tension in the situations, and it becomes a lot more fun to actually push the objective; I totally see balance becoming an issue there. I usually try my best to fill in missing niches where I can. But most of the time map rotation devolves to rooftime or other gimmicky staples. I think people really associate the nonchalant-ness apparent in the less competitive maps with the server as a whole, with them being played so often. I'm often told not to cap for one reason or another, and when I do, often times I'm told to "stop being so serious" among the strain of insults.

This is just a really roundabout way of saying your advice is situational.
\ˈ(t)ser-yü-shē\
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:13 pm

only losers don't care about winning
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
Cheddars

Post by Cheddars » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:48 pm

loafozard wrote:Winning doesn't matter unless you're playing competitively. I play to have fun, and if people are gonna complain about me having fun then so be it. I'll only care about winning and class comp if fun at the time is winning. But on all of the stupid maps people decide to play on, screw trying i would rather just kill things.
From my personal experience, the main issue that arises with an unbalanced team composition isn't a matter of who wins in the end but rather that the team with five spies gets utterly steamrolled. And no one has fun getting steamrolled; it usually empties the server.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:01 pm

I can understand that everybody isn't going to be competitive on maps like rooftime, where the point is to usually just screw around and chat. I'm fine with that. Usually both teams are full of snipers and spies, so it's to nobodies loss.

The problem is when one team picks a proper composition and the other does not. Not because they want to have fun and screw around, just because they don't know any better. This leads to lopsided teams, and it really drains the fun when you know that you have zero chance at winning. Regardless if you want to screw around, if the feeling isn't mutual between both teams, one is going to get their ass kicked which leads to ragequits and boredom quits. A round of this can easily cause 10-15 players to quit, which snowballs into an empty server.

Cheddars put it better than I could.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:35 pm

Asking people to not to go sniper on certain maps is like telling pee wee herman not to rescue all those snakes and spiders from a burning pet shop.
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Yatta!
Oh deer

Post by Yatta! » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:52 am

What does this have to do with hats?

I am an unoriginal person.
Kivivarvas

Post by Kivivarvas » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:33 am

Yatta! wrote:What does this have to do with hats?

I am an unoriginal person.
The people with hats have 5% higher chance of doing things correctly compared to peasants with no hats.

The more you know. :toot:
Yup, my toes are dried up again.
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Cheddars wrote:steamrolled
Now there's a map we need back on the maplist.
Hippie of doom
My bullets love your face!
<font color=#94008a>My bullets love your face!</font>

Post by Hippie of doom » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:54 pm

KoD wrote:
Cheddars wrote:steamrolled
Now there's a map we need back on the maplist.
As far as i know, steamrolled is on rotation on tf4.
Im not random. i just think faster then you.