Map exploit question

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
Parasyte

Re: Map exploit question

Post by Parasyte » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:08 am

Tokengekko wrote:On the map pl_metropolis_b5 if a player rides the elevator continuously not letting access to the enemy team is this considered a map exploit ?
It is on Garbage Day; seems like a similar scenario. Can anyone weigh-in definitively on this?
Kivivarvas

Post by Kivivarvas » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:37 am

Parasyte wrote:
Tokengekko wrote:On the map pl_metropolis_b5 if a player rides the elevator continuously not letting access to the enemy team is this considered a map exploit ?
It is on Garbage Day; seems like a similar scenario. Can anyone weigh-in definitively on this?
I would say no, since you can get up on the point in other ways. Also, if you actually wanna cap the point you would need to step out of the elevator.
Yup, my toes are dried up again.
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:47 am

Kivivarvas wrote:I would say no, since you can get up on the point in other ways. Also, if you actually wanna cap the point you would need to step out of the elevator.
To clarify, the elevator on Garbage Day is only an alternate route to the point, but camping it so that others cannot use it is NOT permitted because it abuses a mechanic of the map.

The same should be true of the elevator on Metropolis, but a senior admin should make the final call on that.
Pocatello

Post by Pocatello » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:50 am

We talked about this in the past. The "group" decided that blocking the elevator on garbage day was a dick move, as well as an exploit. Admins warned people that if they blocked the elevator on garbage day they will be banned.

I disagree with this assessment. Using the language supplied by mbaxter:
mbaxter wrote: To clarify, "if the map allows it" is more "if the map is obviously not trying to prevent it"
My take is that blocking the elevator on either map is a dick move, but it is a dick move that is encouraged by the map. Therefore it is not an exploit. Therefore we should not ban or threaten to ban anyone who employs this dick move.

Personally, I like blocking the elevator on garbage day. If you want me to get out of the elevator... see if you can kill me. End of story.

I will conform to the wishes of the group. But I think ya'll made the wrong decision about the elevator on garbage day... and the same decision should apply on metropolis.
-----------
TF2 name: Durka Durka Durka
-----------
Avvatar wrote:I know who you're talking about, Adam. But also cannot remember his name for the life of me. I want to say Pocatello but I'm nearly positive that's me misspelling the name of some other admin with poor grammar.
Parasyte wrote:I'm satisfying myself right now just thinking about Avanti.
Mastermind1011

Post by Mastermind1011 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:54 pm

On some maps, it's possible to break door triggers by standing near them in certain spots, preventing anyone from going through. This is universally accepted to be a bannable offense.

Blocking the elevators is analogous: by simply standing there you prevent either team from using some part of the map.

That's what I think anyways.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:00 pm

Mastermind1011 wrote:On some maps, it's possible to break door triggers by standing near them in certain spots, preventing anyone from going through. This is universally accepted to be a bannable offense.
*cough* rooftime *cough*
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Pocatello

Post by Pocatello » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:27 pm

Mastermind1011 wrote:On some maps, it's possible to break door triggers by standing near them in certain spots, preventing anyone from going through. This is universally accepted to be a bannable offense.

Blocking the elevators is analogous: by simply standing there you prevent either team from using some part of the map.
I don't see how you can equate the two.

If I block the spawn doors so the opposing team can't leave spawn... that is an exploit. A mistake in the map allows the opposing team to keep the team in spawn... this is way more than a dick move.

But keeping the elevator "out of play" doesn't do anything of the sort. You can still leave spawn. You can still take many paths to the capture point or cart. And you can walk up to me and kill me while I try to defend the elevator. On garbage day it just seems like part of the map... keep the opposing team from using the elevator so they have to walk to the capture point. It is part of the strategy of garbage day.

Like I said before, I will enforce the rules as we decide here.
-----------
TF2 name: Durka Durka Durka
-----------
Avvatar wrote:I know who you're talking about, Adam. But also cannot remember his name for the life of me. I want to say Pocatello but I'm nearly positive that's me misspelling the name of some other admin with poor grammar.
Parasyte wrote:I'm satisfying myself right now just thinking about Avanti.
Hooplah
PeaChooter
<b><font color=#40FF00>Pea</font><font color=#408000>Chooter</font></b>

Post by Hooplah » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:34 pm

Blocking the elevator on garbage day is not only an effective tactic, it's also a very acceptable one, at least in my opinion.

Blocking spawn doors and blocking the elevator aren't really comparable.
The Coolest Kid on the Planet wrote:[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> westsidee
[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> thug liefff
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla¡ is hacking aimbot
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla! noob aimbot is hacking noob
Mastermind1011

Post by Mastermind1011 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:41 pm

I didn't say anything about spawn doors, why do you people keep talking about spawn doors? There's more than one map that has doors scattered around it that have breakable triggers. Next time you play a map, just imagine a door in the middle of any hallway, and imagine what would happen if one person could just keep that door shut for everyone. Sometimes, yeah, it's not going to be too big a deal, like the elevator in metropolis. But it could quite easily break map balance, like removing one of two corridors into a point, and that's just not fun.
Tokengekko

Post by Tokengekko » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:29 pm

While my opinion on the issue is the same as durka's mastermind does make a valid point.
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:42 am

Regarding Garbage Day, there is a way to access the elevator from the top if you want to kill the people camping it (jump through the windows or fire some grenades in there), so I could go either way on that decision. However, for Metropolis let's go back to rule number 1:

Don't ruin the fun
From the official rules: Ruining the fun includes: cheating, exploiting, bad sportsmanship, spamming, being a jerk, and anything else that makes people leave the server. You will be banned extremely fast for running off the playerbase. If you fail to remember anything else about the rules, remember this. It is the cornerstone for everything joe.to.

For anyone who enjoys playing sniper, the room at the top of the elevator is designed for them. Anyone who uses a game mechanic to block access to that area of the map is ruining the fun of the map for snipers. Unlike Garbage Day, there is no other way to get into that area of the map.
I_AM_SQUIRREL
Pelipper The Scarf God

Post by I_AM_SQUIRREL » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:42 pm

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =241977714
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =241977644

Look at the screenshots in the links. Just wondering if it is a map exploit to put a sentry here? It only can be kill be a solider and sniper if it is a level three.

When we asked if it was people had different opinions.

Map: pl_metropolis_b5
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:36 am

Rulings:
Blocking the elevator on garbage day is not an exploit. (Because you can lob grenades through the windows as a counter.)
Blocking the elevator on metropolis is an exploit. (Because it blocks off an area of the map with no recourse.)
I don't see any reason why building a sentry in that spot is an exploit.

20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

I_AM_SQUIRREL
Pelipper The Scarf God

Post by I_AM_SQUIRREL » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:03 am

I might have found a map exploit. Want to make sure it is not a map exploit before i build there next time. I got up there through sentry jumping.
Map: cp_subway_final
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =243436804
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =243436788
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =243436759
Dangit Spongebobby!

Post by Dangit Spongebobby! » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:09 am

I would say thats not an exploit. It can be taken out by a good sniper or direct hit soldier fairly easily.