Does anyone have the uncompiled map file for rooftime?

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.

Should I modify/attempt to balance rooftime?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 24
Carrotttt

Does anyone have the uncompiled map file for rooftime?

Post by Carrotttt » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Does anyone have the uncompiled map file for the most recent version of rooftime?

I feel that the map needs a little bit of balancing since the map takes so goddamn long to end.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Re: Does anyone have the uncompiled map file for rooftime?

Post by A Ninja » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:50 pm

More versions are always nice, but I think most people rather like the fact that it lasts a long time, as it is used to populate the server.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:32 pm

please make it not suck this time
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
KatanaRama
Mind rike rock, body rike meatroaf.

Post by KatanaRama » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:26 pm

Can someone make a payload rooftime?
Bor-ed, bor-ed bored/ bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored./ I am really bored.
Hooplah
PeaChooter
<b><font color=#40FF00>Pea</font><font color=#408000>Chooter</font></b>

Post by Hooplah » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:27 pm

KatanaRama wrote:Can someone make a payload rooftime?
it's been done before and it's just ok/kinda lame
The Coolest Kid on the Planet wrote:[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> westsidee
[14:56] <+PennoyIsHigh> thug liefff
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla¡ is hacking aimbot
TheSonic.Exe MuertePorSuPaso : hoopla! noob aimbot is hacking noob
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:30 pm

Well PL rooftime was never finished it could be good but it is pretty boring as it stands.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
KatanaRama
Mind rike rock, body rike meatroaf.

Post by KatanaRama » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:11 am

The day I get motivated and figure out how to make maps is the day I set out on my quest to make a good pl_rooftime
Bor-ed, bor-ed bored/ bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored./ I am really bored.
prolix

Post by prolix » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:15 am

wouldn't it taking a while to end mean it's pretty balanced? that's how maps were judged with natural selection at least
Bun
BACON BACON BACON

Post by Bun » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:35 am

The current rooftime has come a long way. I personally think it's fairly balanced and I don't think any work needs to be done on it. If you could elaborate more on how you're going to try to "balance" it out, maybe that'll help...

I'm sure if everyone actually tried and went for the last point, it would end quicker but what's stopping most people from doing so is usually caused by players who tell others not to cap. Then most players just start goofing off until sudden death or they get sick of people constantly extending. Also, what Ninja said.

Maybe disable the extend option for voting on rooftime might keep players from complaining all the time after a couple of long rounds.
Mastermind1011

Post by Mastermind1011 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:14 pm

prolix wrote:wouldn't it taking a while to end mean it's pretty balanced? that's how maps were judged with natural selection at least
There's a bunch of stuff I can go into if anyone is actually curious about the game design, but in short, just know that Valve is pretty heavily anti-stalemate with TF2. Natural Selection is very different, the whole point is long-term planning, and a lot of different things can be going on at any given time. TF2 maps just are not meant to have that complexity. Rooftime is essentially a straight line with some vertical bumps with 3 defined combat areas. The first minute of the map is much like the last. A NS map has multiple nodes, any area can be made to be a valuable holding point, and the elements of the game are changing constantly as new tech is completed. Nothing about how the game is at the start resembles its end.

As for improvements to rooftime: Take out the extra time for capturing the middle point. Give the team with the middle point a forward spawn or a spawn time buff. Move the final capture points from behind the enemy spawn to in front of them. I'd do it myself, someone get bug nipper for the file.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:20 pm

One thing I'd love to see is the extension of the lower walkway area inside of the middle point toward the blue side to allow more opportunity to flank. As it is, blue players can take the lower area and get all the way to red's point without being seen, however red can't really do that with blue.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
Carrotttt

Post by Carrotttt » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:05 pm

A Ninja wrote:One thing I'd love to see is the extension of the lower walkway area inside of the middle point toward the blue side to allow more opportunity to flank. As it is, blue players can take the lower area and get all the way to red's point without being seen, however red can't really do that with blue.
I do agree, but it seems as if no-one wants any changes.
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:13 pm

No there's probably enough people who would be down for that, the problem is that the most popular version of rooftime is nm3, Nipper's version. Nipper doesn't tend to hand out his files. Would probably have to get your hands on an old version, maybe KoD's or Stabby's.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Mastermind1011

Post by Mastermind1011 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Stabby's was what we played before nipper did his version, right? I guess I can go bug him. It's not too big a deal, all the stuff nipper added was pretty great but I'd rather change the formula significantly, which hasn't really been done yet.
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Could consider Roof Runner a significant formula change, enough to warrant a change in the name.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.